IGNORED

64* wedge?

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pelz seems to suggest using a > 60* wedge if you have room in your bag, which i do!

Does anyone actually do this? I'm considering it, but i think something with that kind of loft might actually be difficult to hit (i can see myself blading it even now...)
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

I dont recommend this..at all...simply put--Opening the face of a 60 degree is already an extreme amount of loft..Pelz will say this because he is a short game honcho....Personally i never open the face of my 60 degree...and the thought of having a 64 degree would be a waste of a club...when you could possibly add a gap wedge that takes up a large amount of loft between the PW and SW

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I'd only recommend for the best of players out there, and there probably aren't many amateurs that could benefit. If anything, I think it would hurt their game. Most players just need to learn to really play one wedge around the greens, not worry about a 64*

In the Bag:
Driver 907 D2, 8.5*, Accuflex x-stiff
3 Wood 904F 15*, Accuflex V2, x-stiff
Hybrid 585H, 19*, Aldila NV 85S
Irons MP 57's, + 1", 1* up, Project X 5.5Wedges Titleist Spin Milled 56* and 60*, oil can, +1/2", 1* upPutter :Scotty Cameron: Newport 2Ball ProV1Bag: OGIO Gromwww.quail...

I'd only recommend for the best of players out there, and there probably aren't many amateurs that could benefit. If anything, I think it would hurt their game. Most players just need to learn to really play one wedge around the greens, not worry about a 64*

Actually most amateurs--should be using more than one club around the green..I would like to see such clubs like an 8 iron a hybrid and a 3 wood used more often-

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Actually most amateurs--should be using more than one club around the green..I would like to see such clubs like an 8 iron a hybrid and a 3 wood used more often-

I know some use a hybrid for chipping, but when would you ever need a 3-wood?

Whenever the countour of the faiway meets the fringe and the green. The 3 wood is excellent for this kind of play especially if the fairways are cut really thin

Ya i've read Pelz's short game bible and his 4 wedge system. It makes a lot of sense to me and his scoring data makes a pretty good argument but like some of the other guys mentioned I think the 64 degree wedge is a bit of overkill. I carry 4 wedges by dropping my 3 wood which i didn't use much and adding a gap wedge instead of a 64.

I'd definitely recommend some of pelz's work and system but find your own combination of wedges that fit your game. The 60 degree wedge should cover anything you would use the 64 one for.

In Ozone blue/argyle bag:

Driver: G10 - 10.5 Grafalloy Prolauch Red Stiff
5 wood: G5 with grafalloy prolaunch blue
Irons 4-Gap: AP2 - Project X 5.5 SW: CG10 56degreeLW: Bob Vokey Spin Milled 60 degreePutter: Studio Style Newport 2 (Custom Shop)Ball: TP Black/Red

I dont recommend this..at all...simply put--Opening the face of a 60 degree is already an extreme amount of loft..Pelz will say this because he is a short game honcho....Personally i never open the face of my 60 degree...and the thought of having a 64 degree would be a waste of a club...when you could possibly add a gap wedge that takes up a large amount of loft between the PW and SW

i agree 100%. i say go for a gap wedge.

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

when opening the face of my 60 i have found it to be very incosistent like for example if i take a full swing the ball will go straight up and travel about 25 yards when i take a half swing the ball easily goes 35 yards. i cant imagine using a 64

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

Whenever the countour of the faiway meets the fringe and the green. The 3 wood is excellent for this kind of play especially if the fairways are cut really thin

The 3 + 5 wood on close cut fringes is my club of choice. The amount I have holed over the years has proven me to be correct. Far higher percentage than a bump with an 8, ball just rolls far truer I feel.
In My Bag:

DriverR7 Superquad, 9.5 Degrees
WoodFT 3 Wood, 15 Degrees
Wood906F 5 Wood, 18 DegreesIronsMX-25 3-9 IronWedgeVokey Tour Chrome 48 Degree WedgeX Forged Vintage Wedge 54 DegreeWedge Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60 Degree PutterUnitized Retro

The 3 + 5 wood on close cut fringes is my club of choice.

O yes---especially over there in scotland--its almost 2nd nature for you guys to pull out the 3 wood and bump it like a putt--especially when theres wind--it works wonders

Man i rarely pull out the 3 wood around the green, usually ill use a 7 or 8 for a bump, but ill have to try that sometime. Maybe its because the greens are mostly quick and dry around here and im too afraid of letting the ball fully release and bombing it past the hole. I usually count on some check to put the ball tight.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

In my opinion a wedge with more than 58 degrees is not required unless you are playing very very fast greens. If you cant stop a 58 degree or lower you need to learn to strike the ball properly.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I can't imagine the situation that you would need to hit a 64* wedge. I have good luck opening the face of a 60 and cutting across it when I need that type of shot. There are only so many wedges you can carry. What's the max yardage on a 64? 30 yards.
Seems like a wasted club.

Driver: G2 Aldila 65s
3-wood: G5 fujikura vista pro 70 s
16* G5 hybrid TFC 100 shaft s
irons: 3-SW Ping G2 CS Lite s LW: ping eye 2Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

A friend gave one a few years ago. I've never played it, but I often wonder if I should try it sometime. I don't carry fairway woods and could easily set up my bag for one by eliminating either my 2 or 3 hybrid, or perhaps something else, maybe my 3 iron.

Has anyone tried one? Did it save any shots?

I would guess a full wedge swing with a 64 would carry 60-70 yards, base on my average carry with a 60.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

A friend gave one a few years ago. I've never played it, but I often wonder if I should try it sometime. I don't carry fairway woods and could easily set up my bag for one by eliminating either my 2 or 3 hybrid, or perhaps something else, maybe my 3 iron.

I know a couple of guys near me that have 64 degree wedges. I would say 60-70 would be the average yardage..I know that Pelz/Jessie Ortiz and Cleveland make a 64 degree wedge..try one out you may like it...best wishes

I have a Cleveland 588 64 *. It was a gift. I've never tried it.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

In my opinion a wedge with more than 58 degrees is not required unless you are playing very very fast greens. If you cant stop a 58 degree or lower you need to learn to strike the ball properly.

I agree.

anything more than 60 is over kill. Unless of course you are always behind tall greenside trees . Once my grooves are gone > my next 2 vokeys are going to be a 54 and a 58.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!