IGNORED

Embrace the Grind

iacas
Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
grind.png

Sometimes, programming feels like magic: you chant some arcane incantation and a fleet of robots do your bidding. But sometimes, magic is mundane. If you’re willing to embrace the grind, you can pull off the...

A short article, but a good one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:
grind.png

Sometimes, programming feels like magic: you chant some arcane incantation and a fleet of robots do your bidding. But sometimes, magic is mundane. If you’re willing to embrace the...

A short article, but a good one.

It is a good article. My last big project at work before I retired was converting our spec system to a new platform. This entailed converting thousands of specifications from the old system to a new system. The task seemed daunting. But I was not deterred. I just started doing them and got quite proficient at it to the point where I was finished for my division before other divisions were just getting started. I then taught other divisions how to do it faster. It was enjoyable teaching them.

I also feel working on improving our golf swings is similar. Changing the picture can take time and effort and many reps. But after weeks and months, you see the changes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

I also feel working on improving our golf swings is similar. Changing the picture can take time and effort and many reps. But after weeks and months, you see the changes.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to get my point. One post. Yawn.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I was wondering how long it would take someone to get my point. One post. Yawn.

If it makes you feel better, I read it, passed it along to my son, and never made to connection to working on the swing changes. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

I mean, that's not the only reason I posted it. There are a lot of things that are a grind, but sometimes getting lost in that grind is the trick to getting it done.

Long ago and far away, back when I had more hair on my head than in my ears, I had a boss that liked to say that he always gave me the toughest jobs because I was the laziest guy he ever knew and, therefore, would always find the easiest way to get the job done.

Unfortunately, laziness hasn't helped my golf swing. I may need to actually start working at it. Ewwww! What an onerous thought. Must be time for a beer.  😁

One of the things I have noticed about really good Youtube channels - let alone excellent films, is exactly this.

There might be a time lapse that would take hours to video, but it is on screen for perhaps less than two seconds. But it gives the presentation quality.

Look at films with incredible special effects and costumes/props - Lord of the Rings, for example. Years and years go into making things like a belt that a camera may never even focus on, or be a hundred metres a way, but the film wouldn't work without them.The total is greater than the sum of its parts.

The flip side of this, of course, is that a prop that takes 5 minutes to make and looks like crap it is noticeably crap even if it is on screen for half a second, like a poorly photoshopped "family portrait" or newspaper "front page" with a stuck on headline on paper not even close to the colour of the newspaper.

The devil is in the detail and tiny things connect to make the big picture. A bit like golf, perhaps.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

9 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

If it makes you feel better, I read it, passed it along to my son, and never made to connection to working on the swing changes. 

A couple of the changes I made in the last year took weeks/months to stick. I know I’ve finally changed the picture when I film some swings that feel crappy, but when I look at the video, the change is still there. We just have to prepare our mindset to know it’s going to take time and effort.  

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It is a good article. My last big project at work before I retired was converting our spec system to a new platform. This entailed converting thousands of specifications from the old system to a new system. The task seemed daunting. But I was not deterred. I just started doing them and got quite proficient at it to the point where I was finished for my division before other divisions were just getting started. I then taught other divisions how to do it faster. It was enjoyable teaching them.

I ran the largest IT project our organization (our county is larger than Rhode Island or Delaware) has ever seen which was converting from our mainframe data base to a modern platform. Thank God for good project managers! I remember when she announced that we were down to 1200 open tasks and we were all so relieved.  If you were to tell me that story before the project, I wouldn't have taken it. Anyway, now I am the resident efficiency expert. 

As far as the golf swing goes, there can many symptoms that can be traced down to a few root causes. It seems like I can clear most of the tickets out of the system by fixing the set-up which can facilitate a proper pelvic rotation. When I do those basics correctly, many symptoms disappear. They may be different symptoms, but they share the same root cause. Getting to the point of understanding that took years of going down rabbit holes. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Bringing out a camera, something to mount it on, videoing yourself. reviewing yourself, is what I'd call tedious, but great feedback. A lot of people still not willing to do this.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 1106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!