IGNORED

Feel Inadequate So I Don't Get Asked to Play Anymore

brown86
Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi people!. I'm wanting your advice or if you've went through the same as I feel I'm going through. 

I am a 10 handicapper. admittedly I haven't been playing at that level. I have a friend that is a good golfer a single figure golfer. We both got into the game together. I feel that my friend is progressing and Im not unfortunately. He now plays for the club team and now has started playing in comps without me and I'm not even getting asked to play anymore. I feel inadequate in a golf sense. So I've been really digging in as it feels like an extra pressure. I strive to be a better golfer. I want to be a low 5 ish handicap that's my aim. I've only been playing for about 5 years. I've played the last two night and I was  6 over and 4 over. 

I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else? They say to get better you need to play with better players. I get that but I feel I've been brushed to one side and I'm lacking confidence in competition situations. Or being asked to play in the future. In some respects it's taking the fun out of golf for me. I just hate the fact I don't get invited because I'm not at there level. 

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. 

I'm fine with any player who wants to join me, as long as they follow etiquette and keep pace.   You mentioned your friend plays for the club team -- are there other people in the club you could play with?  I met some good friends through golf, especially since many of the friends that introduced me to golf don't play anymore.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Feel Inadequate So I Don't Get Asked to Play Anymore

Are you sure that is the reason?  I like to play with anyone as long as they are not slow.  I have one friend I used to play with a lot.  He is about 18 handicap.  But that fact didn't bother me.  It was his slow play.  We would get reprimanded by marshals (when they actually enforce to pace of play), and after a few times of telling him we need to keep up with the group in front, I just stopped playing with him.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Why not play with other people? With golf as popular as it is now, partners are not hard to find. I joined a local cheap course near myself and go out by myself a few times per week. I was able to join many people on the course who I never met before who I now consider to be my friends and we golf together regularly. 

19 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

Why not play with other people? With golf as popular as it is now, partners are not hard to find. I joined a local cheap course near myself and go out by myself a few times per week. I was able to join many people on the course who I never met before who I now consider to be my friends and we golf together regularly. 

I like this suggestion. When I got back into golf 5 years ago, I started off playing by myself, and found that I was always running into the same folks on the day/time I liked to play (Sunday, early AM). Now I play in a regular foursome with three other like-minded golfers.

I used to play with a guy who would ask me to book a tee time so he could join me. He would promise that he would wake up early and make it on time, and then call me 15 minutes before the tee time with an excuse as to why he couldn't show up (sick, tired, etc.). Different situation than OP, but I just moved on. I still golf with him from time to time, but not regularly.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!