IGNORED

Smaller Hands Grip Size

Hands aren't tiny, but with wrist line to middle finger tip being just under 7.5 inches and my middle finger coming in at 3 inches long, my hand is mostly palm.

I've tried to replicate things like this but I just can't keep my fingers consistently wrapped around the grip, especially the pinky and especially when trying to have the fingers perpendicular to the grip along the 'palmar digital crease' as written in that thread. That's with a standard grip with no extra wraps. I feel like the grip moves in my hand and I tend to get weird skinny callouses on the blue lines here. This may be more that my hand doesn't like cord, but still.

If you numbered the segments 1 to 3 with 1 being by the finger tip, I feel like my hand is more comfortable when the grip is aligned diagonally in lead hand, resting on the pinky on segment 3 (slash the crease below) and resting on the index on segment 2 (slash the crease below). I also know that just because it's comfortable doesn't mean it's functionally right.

When I do manage to execute a full swing without feeling the club moving in my hand it obviously feels insanely crisp and solid in comparison to other swings when it moves.

I just bought a full set of Undersize Tour Wrap Microsuede to test out a handful on clubs, before I regrip all 13, but I figured I'd run these thoughts past TST. I'm going to try to share a video taking my grip later today or tomorrow morning.

Jack Nicklaus has small hands and uses an interlocking grip.  Give it a try and see what you think.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, sinik said:

Hands aren't tiny, but with wrist line to middle finger tip being just under 7.5 inches and my middle finger coming in at 3 inches long, my hand is mostly palm.

That’s about my hand size. I might have a 1/4” on you in finger length. I have no issues holding the club in my fingers.

I would guess the issue has more to do with what you’re doing with your hands than what size they are.

1 hour ago, Piz said:

Jack Nicklaus has small hands and uses an interlocking grip.

I have the same size hands as Jack. I remember because he has that silhouette of his hands in his book and I put my hands on them to compare.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've got that book @billchao...Golf my Way.  And I remember laying my hands on the pages.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

3 hours ago, billchao said:

I would guess the issue has more to do with what you’re doing with your hands than what size they are.

5 hours ago, Piz said:

Jack Nicklaus has small hands and uses an interlocking grip.  Give it a try and see what you think.

Maybe I'll try it again! When I did way back at the start of playing golf, my trail pinky got sore at the fingernail but I was probably death-gripping back then.

• Administrator

First: I don’t like people to grip the club on the ground.

Second: Stop “attaching” the club so far underneath. It puts you in a very weak grip.

Third: 

theyre-the-same-picture-pam-the-office-m

20DDD05E-6847-4DA1-9710-F6E7A46B8A2E.jpeg20CA0444-892F-46FB-ADA6-AAD7DBACBC35.jpeg

I mean, your forearm is turned a bit more in the one, but they’re basically the same grip.

Your grip is too weak.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

First: I don’t like people to grip the club on the ground.

Interesting, what faults does it promote?

Second: Stop “attaching” the club so far underneath. It puts you in a very weak grip.

I'm not sure I follow? 

Third: 

theyre-the-same-picture-pam-the-office-m

haha nice meme - I guess the way my hands ends up settling looks similar, though the diagonal one feels like it sits more naturally in my hand..

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, sinik said:

Interesting, what faults does it promote?

Grip across the palms.

I'm not sure I follow?

You attach your hands to the bottom side of the grip, so when you wrap the heel pad over,  it’s weak.

haha nice meme - I guess the way my hands ends up settling looks similar, though the diagonal one feels like it sits more naturally in my hand..

I think it’s in your head. The grips are the same.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

You attach your hands to the bottom side of the grip, so when you wrap the heel pad over,  it’s weak.

So would a more functionally sound gripping mechanism be (with club off the ground) align the grip further down, more like this, before I wrap anything around?
image.png.f545d105b481af7cb140ae3adf1c027e.png

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

I think it’s in your head. The grips are the same.

Certainly possible, I struggle with 'feel vs real'.

• Administrator
35 minutes ago, sinik said:

So would a more functionally sound gripping mechanism be (with club off the ground) align the grip further down, more like this, before I wrap anything around?

Just attach the same part of your hand more to the side rather than the bottom.

You see almost no knuckles at setup. Weak.

• Administrator

Yes, even more so.

And then don’t put your right hand anywhere near as far on top as you did there.

Gotcha, thanks! It helped me feel like the club was more secure with how weak the left was, so maybe that adjustment will help mitigate the right. It currently helps me square the face better but it does feel cramped sometimes and I’m working on that too.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, sinik said:

Gotcha, thanks! It helped me feel like the club was more secure with how weak the left was, so maybe that adjustment will help mitigate the right. It currently helps me square the face better but it does feel cramped sometimes and I’m working on that too.

The right hand being “under” more would help you “square the face” more than the right hand being so far on top. The right hand being on top means you have to roll the forearms to get the face back to square.

Your grip was incredibly weak.

• Administrator

It’s going to be “different,” but duh.

It affects why you have to swing so far left and why your left elbow and left wrist act as they do during the follow-through.

You should update your Member Swing topic with some good slow-mo including a face-on. I looked quickly but mostly saw DTL views.

• Administrator

Yep.