IGNORED

Monty criticises Masters invite criteria

BASHERBAKER69
Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Colin was born June 23, 1963. Since he doesn't seem to be a fitness nut, he is on the DOWN slope of the curve in major win probability. This Masters must hurt, because every year his body will cooperate less and less while he tries to play his way in to the Masters. Now he knows that his fame won't get him in if his game doesn't.

AND NOW the four stages of Monty's Career:

#1.Who's Colin Montgomerie?
#2. Get me Colin Montgomerie!
#3. Get me a YOUNG Colin Montgomerie?
#4. Who's Colin Montgomerie?

I guess he COULD go down as one of the greats to never win a major. . .

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When players were in BMW mode about the MDF rule, Tiger said something to the effect of "if you don't like it, play better."

Monty, take note.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Monty should have played better. He's a career underperformer who gets his panties in a twist on a regular basis. He's never proven that he can perform in the U.S. or under major pressure, instead choosing to be king of the B League on the Euro Tour. Big whoop. He's been past his prime for years now.

I think that is a little unfair and belittling to both Monty and the European Tour. He is not a career underperformer, having won 8 order of merits, and having finished 10 times in the top ten at majors (not bad going to be fair to him). He has over 30 career wins, just because they are not on thepga tour does not make him an underperformer.

The european tour is not the "B league", especially in recent years where it has fully held its weight against the american tour. I don't disagree that Monty has only come out and said what he has due to him not making it, and yes it is sad that he can't move on. I do not think that he should be included in the tournament, and players such as Jeev Milkha Singh have as much to offer as he does. However, to question his quality as a player is ridiculous!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

The european tour is not the "B league", especially in recent years where it has fully held its weight against the american tour.

I agree.

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

It is very arrogant to call the European Tour the B League..the purses may not be as consistently as large but the quality of player on this tour is as good as on the PGA tour- recent Ryder Cup performances show this.

I think on the whole the PGA tour definately has the better players, at least at the top end, but do remember the PGA tour is full of International players. It's not the "american" tour, as in all american players. The Ryder Cup is not a good example of trying to determine whether or not the European Tour stacks up to the PGA tour.

Anyway, i was saying that Monty should have been invited over some of the Asian players who have been invited and i will stand by that

... the PGA tour is equally matched with the European Tour. There may be a few more PGA tour players higher up in the world rankings but if you go down through the top 150 players in the world there is a very strong crop of European Tour players there.

Monty should have played better. He's

I lol'd at how ignorant you just made yourself sound.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Anyone who thinks Monty has a chance at any major should look back at the blow up at Winged Foot. Guy is beyond done. Have a good career in Europe. Hope I don't have to watch you anymore.

Anyone who thinks Monty has a chance at any major should look back at the blow up at Winged Foot. Guy is beyond done. Have a good career in Europe. Hope I don't have to watch you anymore.

He chose the wrong club and mis hit it, I'm assuming by what you said you have never done this before??

Maybe you don't understand the pressure involved when you have the chance to win the US Open, Montys chances of a major are debatable, but one 'blow up' (One mis hit) does not determine your ability to win majors.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I think on the whole the PGA tour definately has the better players, at least at the top end, but do remember the PGA tour is full of International players. It's not the "american" tour, as in all american players. The Ryder Cup is not a good example of trying to determine whether or not the European Tour stacks up to the PGA tour.

right on the money... the Ryder Cup is not in any way demonstrative of the two tours.

The PGA IS a higher quality tour than the European Tour... player wise. There are many very solid players on the Euro Tour, but when we get right down to it... the PGA is stronger, especially if you look at the big events. As far as smaller events are concerned, they are more comparable. -just my 2 cents
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

THE EUROPEAN TOUR HAS STRENGTH IN DEPTH WHEREAS THE US TOUR HAS A FEW GREAT PLAYERS AND A LOT OF VERY MEDIOCRE ONES AT THAT.

Anyway, Colin deserves a hot at the Masters this year .

THE EUROPEAN TOUR HAS STRENGTH IN DEPTH WHEREAS THE US TOUR HAS A FEW GREAT PLAYERS AND A LOT OF VERY MEDIOCRE ONES AT THAT.

why does he deserve a shot?!? he didn't qualify, and he should stop complaining i didn't qualify either

i do agree that the depth of the euro tour is better than the depth on the PGA tour.....most of the time

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Anyway, Colin deserves a hot at the Masters this year .

Basher, you keep stating this but you're not telling us why?

Is he ranked in the Top 50? No. Another poster mentioned that he's had ONE top ten finish at the Masters...10 years ago. He's also failed to make the cut six out of his last seven Masters. Why is he deserving? Because of what he's accomplished in his career? That makes zero sense. Let's award someone for their past? It's not like he's even won a major. He has not done that, either. This is like me petitioning the Yankees to give Don Mattingly a World Series ring because he was such a great player. Or petitioning the Red Sox to give Yaz a World Series ring because he was an icon. It's sad but it's too bad.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

He chose the wrong club and mis hit it, I'm assuming by what you said you have never done this before??

You are right. I don't understand the pressure, you don't understand the pressure, and apparently he didn't either.

You are right. I don't understand the pressure, you don't understand the pressure, and apparently he didn't either.

It's quite apparent you don't know what your talking about, it is hard to understand pressure, yet alone handle it. Colin did not crack under the pressure as IMO his irons have always been impeccable under pressure, his putter has always let him down. You can not call one bad shot under the most intense pressure a blow up, simply because bad shots can occur regardless of the situation the golfer was in, Monty was unfortunate that him and his caddy chose the wrong club.

My point was that he should have had an inviation instead of one of the asian players, thats all...hes too good a player to have not been invited.

Yes, he is a good player. At who's expense, though? Singh? They both have played, this year, in the same two tournaments. Singh finished tied for 26th and 11th, a total of 18 under par. Monty, finished tied for 65th and 124th, a combined 10 over par. Monty is 38th on the Euro Tour. Singh is ranked 8th.

I'll look up the other two but already he's non-deserving over Singh, this year.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5888 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!