IGNORED

Have you ever cheated?

marpr
Note: This thread is 5891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wish I never have, but I used to. When I used to be really bad(north of 110) I would say six or seven if it was 8 or 9.. now I have resolved to never cheat again.

Now I always play by the USGA rules, exept in Golf tournaments for my catholic high school. Our conference rules are different: If you lose a ball you hit it from where you think It was, and you there is no OB if you can find and play your ball. There are some other things. I reluctantly play by these rules.

• Administrator
Not since I broke 100 the first time, or thereabouts. I never really kept score the first several rounds because I viewed them more as practice. Once I cheated and broke 100, I stopped cheating from that moment on (back in, oh, 1993? 1994? my first full year playing golf anyway) because I realized quickly a score didn't count if it was gained by cheating, and once I'd broken 100 my scores should mean and count for something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ahh, the chance to finally clear my conscience... Back in High School in the District tournament, I shot the best round of my life. I was the 4/5th man on a mediocre at best golf team... I shot an 88 and was the only one on my team to qualify for the next round of the district tourney. When we were done I signed the scorecards on the side of the 18th green and then--- we added up what was on them.. One card had me down for an 89, which we all agreed to "fix" although I had already signed it. So, on a technicality, yes I cheated.. I'm pretty sure that my coach knew, but didn't press it with me... Karma, being the bitch that she is, got me on the next round though... My coach didn't even let me know about the practice round for the next tourney, and I showed up at a strange course with absolutely no knowledge about it... I shot 118 and came in dead last.(by 1 shot)

in my grom stand bag:

Driver: HiBore 9.5* fujikura stiff
3w: HiBore 15* fujikura stiff
2i hybrid: HiBore fujikura stiff3-sw: MP-57 +1/2 2* up stiff steelPutter: 2ball SRT 36"GPS: SG3 Sky caddieCart:Clicgear 2.0Home Course: Lake Spanaway http://www.lakespanawaygc.com

Never

"when a man lies, he loses part of his soul"

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Not since I broke 100 the first time, or thereabouts. I never really kept score the first several rounds because I viewed them more as practice. Once I cheated and broke 100, I stopped cheating from that moment on (back in, oh, 1993? 1994? my first full year playing golf anyway) because I realized quickly a score didn't count if it was gained by cheating, and once I'd broken 100 my scores should mean and count for something.

Yes, thats exactly how I did it. Except in 93 I was a year old

Your link confirms that he was alleged to have cheated.

It is worth noting who the marker was: the son of a VIP in the Indonesian PGA. Furthermore, signing an incorrect scorecard results in DQ, not suspension, so there's probably more to the story than either one of us knows.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vijay has always denied cheating, I doubt he cheated to be honest.

I think at some point in all of our golfing careers we have done something 'not in compliance with the rules'. In competition a few years ago (probably my second ever comp) I hit a ball in the trees, someone found a ball and said "is this your ball" after checking the ball I said "yeah that's mine, thanks" fully knowing it was not mine, I felt awful the hole round and withdrew from the competition citing 'injury'

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Playing as a high schooler, I see more cheating than you could believe.
I've almost gotten into fights over scores.
It's a disgrace to the game.
How does one expect to improve themselves if they cheat?

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

The best thing about cheating is that it unites the innocent against the guilty, and the guilty tend to be excluded from certain events.

I learnt so much more from my one incident of cheating than I ever could from people telling me cheating is wrong.

Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I can't imagine that everyone, at some point, hasn't failed to walk all the way back to the tee when they found a ball OB.

Furthermore, as Stewart Cink's recent DQ illustrates, even the pros don't know all the esoteric rules. So I'm sure we've all "cheated" (i.e. broken the rules) numerous times and not even known it.

That said, when I found my ball in a divot today, I hit it.

And when an approach shot landed in an old ball mark on the green, after I marked and cleaned my ball, I putt my ball back in the old pitch mark.

I can't imagine that everyone, at some point, hasn't failed to walk all the way back to the tee when they found a ball OB.

You are allowed to repair an old pitch mark, as long as you mark the ball first, obviously. It's old spike marks you are not allowed to repair, full marks for trying to play the game fairly

I could lie and say I didnt but back in the day I did once. This was when I was 13 years old and very immature. I dropped a ball when no one is looking since I couldnt find my ball. It was actually kind of funny. I slid the ball down the inside of my pant leg. I felt really bad about it after the tournament. It didnt help me win if I recall. We all make mistakes. Im sure someone will bash me but I know the same person that bashes me has done something probably way worse than dropping a ball.

You are forgiven...

Now go, and sin no more!

You are allowed to repair an old pitch mark, as long as you mark the ball first, obviously. It's old spike marks you are not allowed to repair, full marks for trying to play the game fairly

I know. And I did repair it. But you can rarely repair it in such a way that you're not in a minor indentation.

amazing is'nt it. ive seen it all too. I used to cheat sometimes admitadely in HS golf like i said ina recent post, but some of the stuff that guys did was just ridiculous. your right, it is a disgrace to the game, and no one can improve from cheating, but unfortunately alot of people do it. im definately not proud of it.

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I did a few times when i was younger, it was mostly not counting lost a ball.

Everyone who takes golf seriously and enjoys practicing on the course has cheated at one point or another. Simply dropping a second ball and hitting another wedge shot after your first one flew the green. Yeah you don't play the second ball that you hit but you still technically cheated if you were keeping score that day. I have snapped branches off of trees so that I can get a swing on the ball and I have moved my ball away from trees so that I don't break my shaft while hitting the ball. Same thing goes with being near a rock or on a rock or on or near a thick tree root. I won't play a shot if it means that my body or my clubs get damaged. I am not out playing for money and I have to buy my own clubs and I don't want to sit inside with a broken hand or wrist while the summer passes me by. So yeah, I will cheat sometimes, but it is all common sense stuff... and I don't consider it to be cheating myself... I consider it to be preserving myself and my equipment.

Titleist 913 D3 10.5*

Adams Super XTD 17*

Adams DHY 21*

TaylorMade TP MB 4-PW

Titleist SM4 54*/58*/62*

Bettinardi SS 11

Leupold GX-3i Rangefinder

Titleist ProV1 Ball

Note: This thread is 5891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!