IGNORED

Struggling

Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys. I am struggling big time with inconsistency over the last couple of months  I’m working on a new swing and I suppose this is a huge part of that, but hear me out.

At the range, I hit everything pretty decently, but when I get to the course, it goes down the tubes pretty quickly. I have some decent rounds sprinkled in here and there, but for the most part, it’s just inconsistency. I have a portable simulator that I use at the range and pretty much just use that to play on courses that I typically play on in my area. I’m not just hitting driver after driver or 8 iron after iron. I simulate actually playing as much as the simulator will allow me to. 

I’ve been giving a lot of thought to why I’m so much worse on the course vs the range. One theory I’ve come up with is that at the range I have the edges of the mat to help me, I’m using alignment sticks to get me pointed to the target, to get my ball position right; I have all these markers to get me in the position I want to be in to execute a shot. At the course, I have none of these. No sticks, no lines, no aides of any kind to help line me up (i do pick a spot about 2 feet in front of me before every shot as my target). I think when I’m the course without any of this, everything gets out of whack; ball position, stance, you name it, and subconsciously I realize this and make all sorts of movements to compensate to try to make decent contact. Today on a number of swings, I caught my back elbow flying out creating this crazy over the top swing and causing me to pull the ball way right (I’m a lefty). At the range or on my simulator, I NEVER do this. I’m thinking of throwing down some sticks during my next round and see what happens. I know I don’t want to always do this, but I want to get a feel for how I should be lined up, etc and the sticks will help me do this.  I don’t know. Is this something a coach would help with?  Or is it more for an instructor?  I’m lost. 

@ColonelCamp, if your problem is inconsistency, I’d:

• film your swing
  • start a MySwing thread
  • and focus on 5SK 

I get you feel like you’re better on the range, but if you master “Keys 1-3”  your consistency on the course will improve.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At the range you’re hitting off mats? That’s another thing to consider immediately. I’m not a fan of using mats as they can really buffer poor swings and make you think you’re hitting it much better than you really are. Especially the spongy mats. A damn near chunk will still give decent hit off those softer mats. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

49 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

@ColonelCamp, if you problem is inconsistency, I’d:

• film your swing
  • start a MySwing thread
  • and focus on 5SK 

I get you feel like you’re better on the range, but if you master “Keys 1-3”  your consistency on the course will improve.

Thanks!  I’ll check it out. 

1 minute ago, Vinsk said:

At the range you’re hitting off mats? That’s another thing to consider immediately. I’m not a fan of using mats as they can really buffer poor swings and make you think you’re hitting it much better than you really are. Especially the spongy mats. A damn near chunk will still give decent hit off those softer mats. 

I hear ya. I don’t have any grass ranges near me; I really wish I did. And as far as mats and heavy contact, I can pretty much always feel when I’m heavy or thin with my contact and even if I do get good distance with a heavy shot, I know it was heavy and try to make a correction. When I’m on the simulator, I’ll actually retake the shot knowing it would have been way worse on actual grass. 

9 hours ago, ColonelCamp said:

Thanks!  I’ll check it out. 

I hear ya. I don’t have any grass ranges near me; I really wish I did. And as far as mats and heavy contact, I can pretty much always feel when I’m heavy or thin with my contact and even if I do get good distance with a heavy shot, I know it was heavy and try to make a correction. When I’m on the simulator, I’ll actually retake the shot knowing it would have been way worse on actual grass. 

You can use tape behind the ball or this drill on mats with a towel to make sure you are not hitting it heavy. Also, please pick an avatar.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

10 hours ago, Vinsk said:

@VinskThis is a fact. 👍

Another thing to think about is I know that sometimes when I'm taking my new swing to the course, I'm too quick to fix something.

Let me explain. I'll be working on my focus piece at that range and things will be going well. Then I'll go play and perhaps on the second or third hole I'll hit a bad shot. (Which happens on the range too, but I tend to ignore it there.) So, because it happens on the course I'll try to make an adjustment on the next shot. That may or may not help. Then I'll make another adjustment and then perhaps another.... I think you see where this is going. 

I find that when taking a new swing to the course I get the most benefit out of either trying not to focus on anything technical during my swing. Perhaps my swing thought might be something simple like "smooth contact" or "middle of the clubface".

Or if I want to have technical thoughts. I have to continue to focus on the focus piece that I've been working on at the range. Even if I hit a bad one or two here and there, I try (try being the appropriate word) to continue to work on the same focus piece as on the range. This can be very difficult for me. I find it easy to ignore a bad shot on the range. While I often try to change a bunch of :poo: in response to a bad shot on the course.

There are certainly times when on course adjustments can be your friend. But there are other times when it can just send you down a rabbit hole. 

BTW - I would always advise to find a good swing coach. It might take a while to find the right one, but (for me anyway) trying to solve stuff on my own is damned near impossible. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 11/25/2021 at 3:30 AM, Vinsk said:

This was one of my problems.

First of all, no one had warned me about this. And secondly and more seriously, my first instructor hadn't told me about low point control after ~8 sessions with him. Not even "ball first, then ground", his idea was that you need to learn "instinctively" (he was lousy and I've had to ditch him)

I now try to hit more off grass, but at my range depending on the day it's not always possible. If I have to hit off mats, I use chalk to get feedback on impact (I've also tried a towel and tape, but I prefer chalk).

I'm also doing specific work on low point control at pretty much every range session. After two or three weeks of doing this I rarely chunk it when out on the course (I do have many other beginner problems, though...)

Also, I now log every shot I take at the range with a simple (no-code) app I've made, and it turns out that when looking at the cold hard data I'm not as consistent as I thought. I think I have been conflating a notion of "progress" - which I've clearly made - with being consistent. My dispersion at the range still explains why I'm not that good out there.

Turns out "feel ain't real" in this aspect too!

Edited by FlyingSpaniard
Make a clarification on time with instructor and correct grammar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!