IGNORED

The Skins Game

Zippo
Note: This thread is 889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I used to watch "The Skins Game" back in the day. As I recall (and my rememberer may be defective) there was a prize of $25,000 or $50,000 a hole in an invited 4 person match play tournament. I also recall that I enjoyed watching it quite a bit. Now they have "The Match" which, as I understand it, has replaced The Skins Game. I gotta say that I enjoyed the old version much more than I do the current version. Seems like it was taken more seriously and more about the golf (and the money) than it was for the plain entertainment of the masses. Too much sugar now and not enough fiber - in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

I used to watch "The Skins Game" back in the day. As I recall (and my rememberer may be defective) there was a prize of $25,000 or $50,000 a hole in an invited 4 person match play tournament. I also recall that I enjoyed watching it quite a bit. Now they have "The Match" which, as I understand it, has replaced The Skins Game. I gotta say that I enjoyed the old version much more than I do the current version. Seems like it was taken more seriously and more about the golf (and the money) than it was for the plain entertainment of the masses. Too much sugar now and not enough fiber - in my opinion.

That was a good show. I think they are still feeling there way around these new match shows. The best thing about skins was there were four player and the banter was entertaining. But they also had dead spots in the tour and the Skins game filled them. Now there are only a couple of spots for shows like this.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

That was a good show. I think they are still feeling there way around these new match shows. The best thing about skins was there were four player and the banter was entertaining. But they also had dead spots in the tour and the Skins game filled them. Now there are only a couple of spots for shows like this.

I liked it too. I remember one where Tiger was playing and Jack and Mark O’Meara watched his tee shot and this was said:

Jack: [ Man he crushes that ball]
Mark: [ well he should, he’s 21]
Jack: [ well you didn’t hit it like that when you were 21.]

Golden.

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Zippo said:

I think your memory is getting the better of you here.

I don't remember them being all that serious. It was pure hit-and-giggle golf.

I mean, if you want, you can go back and watch a lot of them:

A skins game in 1993 that included Arnold Palmer couldn't have been all that serious.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1983 was a long time ago yet it seems like yesterday for this old fart.  Ultimately, they started to have a problem getting a full foursome of "name" players.  Stephen Ames???

Brian Kuehn

I always dug 'em 'cause Couples seemed to do well. That was back when I was a wee lad though, so I don't have much memory of it. 

From the couple of linked videos, it looks like they were trimmed for time, albeit not to the level of Shell's WWoG. I think that is the important thing to me. "The Match"(es) are long, drawn out, sordid affairs, where you see more golf in PXG commercials than actual golf. They try to capture the personality more (kind of) and it really takes the golf part to a staggering low.  Not really my cup of tea

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Note: This thread is 889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!