IGNORED

Mistakes in Tournament Scoring and Payouts

Southern by Choice
Note: This thread is 874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played in a two-day RINGERS Tournament (sometimes called an ECLECTIC Format).  The results were tabulated by the President of the league, and winners and payouts were announced at our year-end luncheon.  (Winners can be in one category only—not both NET and GROSS.) But WHOOPS—the results were wrong!  She went through all the GROSS scores first, and assigned 1st-5th place winners.  Then she took all remaining players and assigned 1st-5th place for NET…which skewed the results.  For example, I had an 87 GROSS (remember, it’s RINGERS, selecting the best score on each hole over two rounds) with a 59 NET.  The 87 put me in 5th place for Gross, but FIRST place for Net.

Now for the question:  how to best handle this?  My husband plays in a Men's League, and when any errors are discovered after payouts, they say "MONEY PAYOUTS STAND, BUT HERE ARE THE REVISED WINNERS FOR 'BRAGGING' RIGHTS."  (There’s not a lot of money involved in our case—probably less than $50 difference from 1st to 5th place.). WHAT SAY YOU?

• Administrator

Is it definitely a mistake?

What if you were third in both: from which list does he "remove" you from consideration? That would affect whomever was fourth on either list.

Were there published rules for the order in which winners would be ranked? It makes sense to me (as a lower handicap player) that you might take the gross list first, as it seems to have been done.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Southern by Choice said:

I played in a two-day RINGERS Tournament (sometimes called an ECLECTIC Format).  The results were tabulated by the President of the league, and winners and payouts were announced at our year-end luncheon.  (Winners can be in one category only—not both NET and GROSS.) But WHOOPS—the results were wrong!  She went through all the GROSS scores first, and assigned 1st-5th place winners.  Then she took all remaining players and assigned 1st-5th place for NET…which skewed the results.  For example, I had an 87 GROSS (remember, it’s RINGERS, selecting the best score on each hole over two rounds) with a 59 NET.  The 87 put me in 5th place for Gross, but FIRST place for Net.

Now for the question:  how to best handle this?  My husband plays in a Men's League, and when any errors are discovered after payouts, they say "MONEY PAYOUTS STAND, BUT HERE ARE THE REVISED WINNERS FOR 'BRAGGING' RIGHTS."  (There’s not a lot of money involved in our case—probably less than $50 difference from 1st to 5th place.). WHAT SAY YOU?

I have the same question as @iacas, was there a specific procedure published as to how the winners were to be decided?  I know at my home club we have a specific procedure, something like:  Low gross, then low net, then second gross, second net, etc.  It might just as easily have been published as: Low gross, second gross,....fifth gross, low net, second net....   If there was a order defined for the tournament, and the League President didn't follow that order, you should contact them and ask that things be re-evaluated.  But in the absence of a specific definition, how can you say any choice made was wrong?  However, if there wasn't a specific procedure, there SHOULD have been, and you'd be right in asking them to make it clear going forward as to how these things should be done.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Is it definitely a mistake?

What if you were third in both: from which list does he "remove" you from consideration? That would affect whomever was fourth on either list.

Were there published rules for the order in which winners would be ranked? It makes sense to me (as a lower handicap player) that you might take the gross list first, as it seems to have been done.

Unfortunately, no published rules…but our policy has been that GROSS is better than NET if you placed the same in both categories.  So in your example, our 3rd place golfer would would rank in the GROSS column.  But in this case, my 5th place Gross is nothing compared to 1st place Net!  And as you can guess from my 28 HI, I don’t win very often.

I'm not knowledgeable about tournaments but if as you stated the difference is less than $50, I'd question the results and let the $$ stand.   Your husbands group's policy would be my choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

21 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

The results were tabulated by the President of the league

Human error can happen when when multiple results are combined for these type of events.
It would be best to have someone create a Spreadsheet to calculate the scores and payouts.

21 hours ago, Southern by Choice said:

when any errors are discovered after payouts,

Some groups may correct them afterwards and some may not.
It basically should be discussed by the committee and have set standards for all events.
Unusual occurrances can and will happen and should be handled on these specific situations.

When occurances happen, the desicions will always make someone happy and others un-happy.
The end results, should always be the "Right Results" on day of the events.
Making changes afterwards always leads to many disgrunteled players and rightfully so.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Human error can happen when when multiple results are combined for these type of events.
It would be best to have someone create a Spreadsheet to calculate the scores and payouts.

This wasn't the type of error a spreadsheet would have avoided.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 874 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!