IGNORED

Do You Use Round or Ribbed Grips?

Note: This thread is 2455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use round or ribbed grips?

• Round
    • Ribbed
    • This is way too kinky for me.

I've only been golfing 3 years and always used ribbed grips. Working the ball more, it seems like round grips may be better... Do you low handicap guys use round or ribbed grips?

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

I use round grips, the golf prode tour velvet to be exact. I have'nt used ribbed grips so Im not sure on the differences.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I generally use round. I have only used the ribbed when they came that way on the club. Not sure it isn't a good idea to use them to promote a proper grip (not too strong or weak).

• 2 weeks later...
i much prefer ribbed grips to round ones, i always feel like i regrip at the top of my backswing with a round grip, must be a sub conscious thing

my bats- precept tour premium irons
ping isi driver (old trusty)
nike wedges
scotty cameron putter

MY BATS

DRIVER- :: 905r grafalloy prolite stiff 8.5*
WOODS-starship 15* 3 wood
IRONS-:mp 32 3- pw ,s 300WEDGES- 53 & 58 *PUTTER-scotty cameronBALL- hx tourBAG- stand bag

That third choice is way funny.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I've only been golfing 3 years and always used ribbed grips. Working the ball more, it seems like round grips may be better... Do you low handicap guys use round or ribbed grips?

I do my own re-gripping. I don't have time for lining up that reminder ridge. Those ridges are a pain in the @$$ and don't help me one bit. As far as working the ball, I like round for another reason. I am not feeling the ridge in an unusual spot. Ergo, I'm less likely to focus on that instead of swinging the club.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

round.. ribbed grips seem to me to be a cruch. now i have found some grips with a very slight rib in them.. ex: winn pci hybrid.. may just be were they stich the backing but it is nice.. but grips of choice right now>> MCC cords and iomic sticky's.

Ribbed always. I found my grip had a tendency to "migrate" when I used round grips. With ribbed grips I know each time I grab a club where that ridge should be. One less thing to worry about.

I can't imagine why ribbed grips would affect working the ball. Do you change your grip shot to shot in order to try and work the ball? It would seem to me that would breed big time inconsistancy. I don't work the ball all that much but I certainly can hit whatever shot I need to regardless of the shape of my grips.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use round grips. I picked up my friends club the other day, and asked him what was wrong with his grip and realizing that it was ribbed... I felt kinda stupid, but round is what works for me.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

• 4 weeks later...
i get a better feeling using the ribbed kind.

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I re-grip my own clubs and like round. I also like the feel as I grip the club in my finders and they just feel right. For the record I like tour velvets and hate most of the new dual durometer grips although I recently tried Lamkin's crossline tour and found it felt quite good. Take this for what it's worth, round or ribbed make sure your grip is the correct size if you want to work the ball so you can properly release the club through impact.

• 9 years later...
  • Administrator
On 6/26/2017 at 11:52 AM, Golf Grouch said:

Does anyone plan on trying the upcoming MCC Align grip?  It sounds like a major advancement in the reminder grip category. 

How?

It's a reminder rib. They've been around for decades.

Seriously, I'm asking… what's the "major advancement" in this?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, iacas said:

How?

It's a reminder rib. They've been around for decades.

Seriously, I'm asking… what's the "major advancement" in this?

There's a dedicated and textured ridge on the exterior of the grip as opposed to just a bump underneath the grip.  It sounds like the "reminder" might be more prominent.

• Administrator
22 hours ago, Golf Grouch said:

There's a dedicated and textured ridge on the exterior of the grip as opposed to just a bump underneath the grip.  It sounds like the "reminder" might be more prominent.

Meh. It's still just a textured raised bump.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2455 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!