IGNORED

Gapping From 46° PW to 56° SS

Note: This thread is 801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

I need a gap wedge but not entirely sure how to fill the hole.  I have ancient Mizuno MX25 irons with a 46 PW and 56 SW

Would you go 50 or 52?  I hit my PW approx. 125 and SW 85-90 yds.  Is a 51' gap wedge a thing?

Maybe it doesn't really matter?  Just grab a 52 and get on with it?

Maybe another option is to try and reduce my PW by 1' if I can get a forged club bent, then get a 50' GW?

• iacas changed the title to Gapping From 46° PW to 56° SS
  • Administrator

It depends on the shaft, etc. What wedges and shafts and heads do you have now? It may not be the exact loft that slots in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What difference is there in the club length between your PW and SW?  In other words...what is your PW good for if you grip down one inch?

Ralph Maltby did a video, years ago, about the gap wedge.  WMALSOOI...One of his suggestions was to develop some finesse with the PW.  Just opening the club face a couple minutes will produce a higher, and shorter, shot.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Piz said:

WMALSOOI

Huh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Huh?

Without making a long story out of it.  Just having a bit of fun.  CI  (chuckling inwardly)

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Many wedge manufacturers will adjust the loft on a wedge by 1-2 degrees, so you have that option.    Ideally you can hit several wedges on the range and try and determine what comes right in-between your PW and SW.  

• Like 1

—Adam

19 hours ago, windskipper said:

Hi

I need a gap wedge but not entirely sure how to fill the hole.  I have ancient Mizuno MX25 irons with a 46 PW and 56 SW

Would you go 50 or 52?  I hit my PW approx. 125 and SW 85-90 yds.  Is a 51' gap wedge a thing?

Maybe it doesn't really matter?  Just grab a 52 and get on with it?

Maybe another option is to try and reduce my PW by 1' if I can get a forged club bent, then get a 50' GW?

I would test a 50 and 52 and hit them both to see if either hit the distance needed. If its in between you can adjust either club until you get it dialed in. 

Edited by TourSpoon
grammar
  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!