IGNORED

My Swing (Deadpoets)

DeadPoets
Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 20
My typical ball flight is: push or push draw with irons. Hook or push fade with driver. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: block and low ball flight. 

Other Info: I’m a Stack and Tilter

Videos: 

Edited by DeadPoets
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have you tried moving the ball forward in your stance to see if that improves lunch angle? Also, your actual backswing is shorter than your rehearsal. I have that issue. I’ve worked on slowing down the backswing and try to feel it being, longer and higher before starting the downswing.

Also, please add a avatar when you have a chance.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Have you tried moving the ball forward in your stance to see if that improves lunch angle? Also, your actual backswing is shorter than your rehearsal. I have that issue. I’ve worked on slowing down the backswing and try to feel it being, longer and higher before starting the downswing.

Also, please add a avatar when you have a chance.

Yes I’ve played around with ball position some. 

The short backswing is a problem, but my attempts at making it bigger have been rough. I will post a video of that.

• Administrator

I have some images for you that I'll post later.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

03.jpg

Left side: your first step is fixing the grip. It's REALLY far into the palm. That's pretty common, but here you go:

That's why you can't hinge the club and it doesn't go back very far.

Additionally, I'd love to see the right elbow freed up a little to come off your ribs (while staying in front).

Beyond that…

Actually, I think you should just fix that first. The rest can wait, because they'll change a bit when you fix the grip.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

03.jpg

Left side: your first step is fixing the grip. It's REALLY far into the palm. That's pretty common, but here you go:

That's why you can't hinge the club and it doesn't go back very far.

Additionally, I'd love to see the right elbow freed up a little to come off your ribs (while staying in front).

Beyond that…

Actually, I think you should just fix that first. The rest can wait, because they'll change a bit when you fix the grip.

Just curious, but why do you think the grip is in the palms?  When I take my grip I grip it in the fingers diagonally. 

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

Just curious, but why do you think the grip is in the palms?

Because it’s in the palm. It comes out by your wrist. Watch the video.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Because it’s in the palm. It comes out by your wrist. Watch the video.

Don't know.  I'm gripping the club here at my house now and it's in the fingers. I'll play around with it though.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

Don't know.  I'm gripping the club here at my house now and it's in the fingers. I'll play around with it though.

It’s not. You’re not understanding what I’m saying.

It may be in your index finger but it’s nowhere near being in your pinkie finger.

Which is why you can’t hinge it fully and why the face is shut.

Watch the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

It’s not. You’re not understanding what I’m saying.

It may be in your index finger but it’s nowhere near being in your pinkie finger.

Which is why you can’t hinge it fully and why the face is shut.

Watch the video.

I'm assuming you are looking at the address position in the DTL video to determine this.

I'm just trying to understand "it comes out by your wrist."

Is Adam Scott's grip here not out by the wrist?

AdamScott12.jpg

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

I'm assuming you are looking at the address position in the DTL video to determine this.

I am not. Look at the picture please and watch the video.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

03.jpg

Left side: your first step is fixing the grip. It's REALLY far into the palm.

It’s not in the fingers.

21 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

I'm just trying to understand "it comes out by your wrist."

Is Adam Scott's grip here not out by the wrist?

AdamScott12.jpg

A lot of us had similar issues with the grip. It feels like it’s in the fingers, but it slides into the palm. Watch the video that Erik posted above. Let the grip sit in the pinky through middle finger of your left hand first. Sometimes I practice taking the grip without putting the index finger or thumb on until I close my left hand down. They can over power the other fingers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Scott

My Swing Thread

18 hours ago, DeadPoets said:

The struggle is real! I have been working on my grip for awhile now. When I take the grip, it’s in my fingers with my hypothenar eminence atop the grip, yet when I lower the club into my stance, something sinister takes place and by the time I’m at A3, it appears to be into my palm.  The video Iacas posted is super helpful for explaining my problem, but unfortunately he can’t grip the club for me. I’d put some time into this and see if you can change your picture above.

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator

Palm_Grip.jpg

The red arrow points to your pinkie finger. The green arrow points toward the grip. They're really far apart, separated by all of the space pointed at by the white arrow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I distinctly remember Erik showing me this during a live lesson. The difference between in the palm and in the fingers in terms of how the grip feels in your hands is pretty big. At address, it feels like the club is more... upright, but that's just me. I rewatch his grip video and learn something new every time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, DeadPoets said:

Sorry.  Ignore the video above. 

Here’s the most recent…

Can you video in slow motion? It’s easier to see all the check points.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!