IGNORED

Don't Have the Foggiest Idea What to do With Left Wrist During Golf Swing

Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I have been playing a couple of years. Love the game yet swing is conflicting however improving. One thing I experience difficulty with is my left wrist during the backswing. I was letting completely go while simply letting it be and it would flounder wherever at the highest point of backswing. My educator advised me to bow it similar to Dustin Johnson yet I observe I turn it in and close the club face and snare it. Any guidance or recordings please?

1 hour ago, baseballbbcor said:

So I have been playing a couple of years. Love the game yet swing is conflicting however improving. One thing I experience difficulty with is my left wrist during the backswing. I was letting completely go while simply letting it be and it would flounder wherever at the highest point of backswing. My educator advised me to bow it similar to Dustin Johnson yet I observe I turn it in and close the club face and snare it. Any guidance or recordings please?

Have you started a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section? There are a number of ways to address this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/15/2022 at 2:18 AM, baseballbbcor said:

When it comes to left wrist positions, what’s most common is at impact, it should be flat or slightly bowed.  If the wrist is cupped, the face is open. In the backswing, generally I’d favor having the wrists create a position in which the clubface is parallel with the lead arm. The pros that have a bowed left wrist to create a closed face like DJ, usually, use a lot of lower body rotation on the downswing. If someone doesn’t have that mobility, they should try to keep things square in the transition. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 hours ago, phillyk said:

If the wrist is cupped, the face is open.

Not for certain. You bow your wrist, but delay the rotation and still present an open face at impact. Many golfers, struggle to get the hands to line up with the line that forms from the ball to the lead shoulder (flip), who also hit pull slices. So, the face is closed at impact, not open. Hitting the ball to the right is a face to path issue, and the path has a good amount of influence. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

I was going to quote the same part earlier today to say "not necessarily, but you know that @phillyk…" or something too. Strong grips are also commonly cupped at impact. And many will cup and flip and present a closed face, as Matt says.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!