IGNORED

Less Is More

Manx995
Note: This thread is 913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Appreciating the minimalist approach to golf and having had my better performances carrying fewer clubs is there any opinion to a club manufacturer actually producing an iron set of eg Long, Medium, Short, Wedge. 

Would this help clear the clutter of decision making and simplify the game for us mid to high handicappers? 

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Manx995

PM

IMO having more clubs makes the game easier not harder. You can make the same swing with the different clubs depending on how far you are from the green etc. With less clubs you have to hit different shots with the same clubs which might be fun but it's not easier and means more decision making not less.

• Thumbs Up 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I suppose there's nothing stopping you from playing with just the even numbered irons, or just the odd numbered ones.  But I don't see why you'd want to -- I feel that'd make it harder, not easier.  If I'm choosing between my 8-iron and 7-iron, there's a reason for it. 

Alternately, I suppose you could do something like ordering a PW, a weak 8-iron, a strong 7, and a weak 5 and call that your irons.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Shindig said:

I suppose there's nothing stopping you from playing with just the even numbered irons, or just the odd numbered ones.  But I don't see why you'd want to…

It's a good way to teach yourself how to hit golf shots. Learning how to take a little off, or feather a shot in there, or really squeeze a few extra yards out of a shorter club, etc. can be quite beneficial.

It's more a form of practice/learning than how you'd want to actually play day in and day out, though.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I recently did something similar. I live in 2 different cities and hate the hassle of traveling with clubs. I made a set of clubs D, 5, 7, 9, 50, 55, Putter for the city I live in less. I have not felt disadvantaged nor have I seen my scores drastically change.

for most people it’s cheaper just buying a used set. Being a 6’7” individual, I need custom fit clubs which is why I chose to go this route. 

Note: This thread is 913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!