IGNORED

Step Son Is Paying for 9 Then Playing 18 When Alone

TapOut64

(edited)
1 hour ago, Susanwgolfs said:

Do they have Youth on Course in your area?   Locally our kids can play for $5….

I played with a high school student a few months ago and he mentioned playing for dirt cheap but he had to walk.  Quick research shows that it probably was the Youth on Course program.  You mentioning it is the first I have heard it called by name.  There are two courses that participate in my area and both are on his high school golf rotation.  One is 5 miles away, the other is around 8 miles away.  The course he is stealing golf from is only 2 miles away and a lot nicer than the other two courses and obviously, he likes it a lot better.  We will have to look into it, thanks.

Edited by TapOut64

1 hour ago, TapOut64 said:

LOL  I was just going to let this one slide as it is a statement made out of ignorance.  Never have I mentioned that my wife is OK with this.

Well in fairness, you did willingly come to the SandTrap! 

Good luck in your step-parenting! 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TapOut64 said:

LOL  I was just going to let this one slide as it is a statement made out of ignorance.  Never have I mentioned that my wife is OK with this.

I think you quoted the wrong post, @TapOut64.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, iacas said:

What does his mother say, as she’s your wife?

And you never really answered that question. So, maybe @p1n9183 assumed a bit, but it wasn't a huge assumption.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not a parent so parenting advice is not my strong suit but I feel it is the little things that people ignore that may lead to bigger issues later in life.  I would first call the course to see if they have any special deals for juniors or members of a HS team, hopefully they do. Then I would have a conversation with your step-son and explain that even if it seems like a minor thing, stealing is stealing and tell him to stop.  Hopefully you may have an "Honest" alternative for him after you speak to the course.   I would also have his mother in the conversation since you may get the "You're not my dad" response.  

Good luck.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think you quoted the wrong post, @TapOut64.

And you never really answered that question. So, maybe @p1n9183 assumed a bit, but it wasn't a huge assumption.

Exactly.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:14 AM, TapOut64 said:

When my wife drops her 14 year old son off at the golf course he will pay for 9 holes and then go on to play 18.

Are you going to tell me that she just pay for 9 and don't know he is playing the whole round? If I have to bet I would definitively bet that she knows. But I can be wrong, so you tell us what she thinks about it and more importantly, what is she going to do next time she drop him at the golf course?

Always look at what people do, not what they say.     

I'm assuming this is a pay and play course. Would you not chat to your wife about getting him a junior membership in a club so we can play legitimately. In my club in Ireland juniors are only charged €100 euros for annual membership and this includes GI membership where he can get an official handicap.  We would then only have to pay for competitions he wants to enter which are always subsidized by the club. Food for Thought!

On 5/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, TapOut64 said:

To give you an idea of my step son's fathers character, I just recalled another related story.  My step son has a sister who is just over a year older than him.  They both went through the First Tee program when they were younger and she was briefly into golf but has moved on to other interest.  Nevertheless, a few years ago, her dad would tell her to dress like she wasn't golfing (she had some really nice girls golf outfits) and she would put some of her clubs in her brothers bag, then once they were out of sight of the club house she would start to golf with her dad and brother with her father having only paid for him and his son.  I remember at the time thinking, wow, this is so wrong, but reflecting on this story,  (I had forgot about it) it's no wonder my step son is stealing golf, his dad has set a terrible example for him.

It's tough just being the step dad but it's obvious that I have to step up and take a stand.  

Your wife's ex-husband sounds like the jackasses we constantly have to watch for at my course. It get's annoying having to police these idiots all afternoon or they'll jump on the course without paying. Just pay the greens fee you asshat.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1