IGNORED

First round jitters!

SwinginCaveman
Note: This thread is 5877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The weather is FINALLY clearing up over here. Just a little wet from some rain, but definitely playable. I think I may be going out for my first round tomorrow or Thursday. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. I re-dedicated myself over the winter and really became a student of the game. I have a lot of confidence going into this year, but that first round is always a little nerve racking.

What do you guys do to relax before you hit the first tee?

Also, what is the most important thing to do when playing the first round of the season? I would figure consistency and patience. Anything else?

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

Caveman, I think the most important thing would be to make sure you stretch well before you start swinging the club, and by that I mean make sure you take a few practice swings at the range before you start swinging on the course. On the course, I would say just be aware of yourself and your game. Try not to overanalyze anything, and make sure that your becoming a serious student of the game does not translate into multiple swing thoughts. Just take each hole as it comes, pick out small targets, swing easy, and enjoy being out on the course. After the round over a cold one you can assess where your game sits and see what you need to spend some practice time working on. Have fun tomorrow or Thursday and let us know how you felt about it. I have a tee time on Thursday, weather here today is 80 degrees with some wind, but there is a 60% chance of Snow tomorrow night with a high Thursday of 46. Probably not going to happen, but the first tournament of the season is Saturday when we should be back in the low 70's

David C.
N3XT

David C. Cleveland

In My Bag:

Driver: Big Bertha 4603 Wood: Big BerthaHybrid: Rescue Dual 3 19 degreeIrons: Big Bertha 2006Wedges: x forged mdPutter: 33 inch Natalie center shaftedBall: HX TourHome Course: Wellshire Golf Course, Denver, COVisit my musings at...

Just relax man, its all about having fun and giving yourself the confidence that your gonna play good the whole year from your first round. You are going to be so excited when you get there the nervousness won't kick in. It always happens to me, and when I make a good shot, It feels like I can shoot the best round of my life the first day because i've been away for it so long. Just relax, talk with your playing partner and joke around a bit, It takes your mind off of it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I've been playing golf with my cousin. He's a doctor and he's got some hilarious stories. He'll usually tell me one, crack me up and I'm relaxed.

That's my advice to you, concentrate on something funny or relaxing.

As for expectations, don't have any. Concentrate on making good contact, every swing. The rest will take care of itself.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Remember to have fun and enjoy the game. Be glad to be out there, and beware advice from 27.3 handicaps.

I find the advice given by N3XT was great advice, I wouldn't put his handicap into consideration on this one. I think anyone no matter what their handicap should consider what he said also.

Just because he has a high handicap doesn't mean he doesn't know anything about golf and the mentality of it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I find the advice given by N3XT was great advice, I wouldn't put his handicap into consideration on this one. I think anyone no matter what their handicap should consider what he said also.

I just meant beware in general, not that it was bad advice, but in general I think it's safe to say someone struggling to break 100 hasn't found a lot that works for them. Not trying to be mean, we've all been there at the beginning, I'm just sayin..

I just went out for the 1st time this season and here's what I learned . . . got to hit the driving range for some serious work pre-round to get the rust off especially with the driver. As for chipping and putting, don't worry about it the 1st round, it's not going to be there, but if you can pound the driver in the fairway you'll feel OK and look forward to the year. The short game will come along later. You will hit a few bad shots, just shrug it off, don't expect too much. Stay hydrated, have fun, it's the same game as before.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Lower your expectations. Some of my best rounds were when I just went out and played golf. The more you anticpate, the more dissapointed you get when you hit that bad shot at a crucial time in your round. have fun

What I play:
Driver: FTi Tour LCG Matrix Xcon 6
3 Wood: Sonartac SS03 *14
Hybrid: FT Hybrid *18
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 22*Irons: 5-PW i10, Project X 5.5Wedges 52, 56, 60Putter:i Black #9Ball: Tour ix

i dont really take the first couple rounds of the season very seriously. meanng i tkae a couple mulligins to losen up the swing. i would also recomend not keepong score it will put to much presure o yourself.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

The weather is FINALLY clearing up over here. Just a little wet from some rain, but definitely playable. I think I may be going out for my first round tomorrow or Thursday. I have to admit, I'm a bit nervous. I re-dedicated myself over the winter and really became a student of the game. I have a lot of confidence going into this year, but that first round is always a little nerve racking.

You're a 15 and asking this question? WTF????

Is this some early season tourney? I doubt it. Go hit some balls, man. Spring has sprung, the grass has riz. Us northern clime folks have been waiting 6 months for this!! Go have some fun!!!!
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

All really good advice. Thanks guys!

I think the biggest reason for the nerves is that I didn't take golf too seriously last year. I didn't know as much of the technical aspect of it and kinda played just to play.

This year I'm taking a much different approach. Many hours were logged reading magazines and watching the GC, and I have been to the range everyday for the last 10 days. I figure I don't wanna go out there before I've shaken off some rust.

I think the first tee shot is gonna be the clincher. If I hit a great tee shot on the first hole, all the nerves will be gone. If it's sketchy, the nerves will grow a bit and will continue until I make a good swing.

I've been on a strict stretching routine for a couple weeks now. My dad actually got me into yoga so it only took about a week to get limber, now it's just a matter of maintaining it. I never realized how much of a factor that played into it. Endurance needs some polishing, but golf carts help, and power is where it needs to be, so the actual physical aspect of it is covered.

All in all, some really good advice. I appreciate it and I'll let you know how the round goes.

In My Bag:

3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

Remember to have fun and enjoy the game. Be glad to be out there, and beware advice from 27.3 handicaps.

Don't be an a** hole, you play off 7, that's not that impressive a handicap to be honest, your advice is probably as good as some one off a 27.3 handicap.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

His advice was a hell of a lot more useful than yours. I can assure that when my handicap is lower (and it will be), I won't make jackass remarks like yours to struggling players.

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

Alright went out and played 9 this afternoon. Not a good day. I didn't get to hit any balls on the range as the course I played at didn't have one, and I quickly slipped into old habits. Right arm was bending at the top causing me to come down inside out and push the ball. Did an alright job of getting up and down on some ocassions but I was really hoping to have a solid round without facing any prior swing issues.

I'm going to go out tomorrow and try it again. I went by myself so I could concentrate but it was very busy so they stuck me with some random player who didn't make me all that comfortable. Was always standing in my sight, talking on his cell phone, coughing, laughing, cussing etc.

Not a complete failure today, but I'll let you know how round number 2 goes.

In My Bag:

Note: This thread is 5877 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!