IGNORED

Seeking Advice/Feedback From My Trackman Data

Hello all,

I got some trackman data the other day for my driver, and would like some advice on possible areas for improvement. Its the first time Ive really collected any data like this.

I have been hitting draws, with the occasional hook and Im having to start my shots well down the right side of the course, so I can be limited for room on tight holes.

Is my club path and face angle numbers too extreme?

Should my angle of attack be more positive for driver? If so, what would be a suitable range to aim for?

I used a 9 degree Taylormade Sim driver with a hazardous smoke low spin 6.0 70g shaft set to neutral weight settings and an angle of 10 degrees loft.

trackmandata.jpg

TrackmanDispersion.PNG

Edited by Andy Capped

Path is too far from inside to out (7 degrees average). Angle of attack isn't terrible at average of zero. That is why you are hitting hooks.

• Informative 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I'm on a golf course and on my phone, but if your path is too far right and you're hitting too level, just moving the ball position more forward (and teeing it a bit higher) will reduce the outward path and increase your AoA, generally.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I agree with @saevel25 on the inside path being a little too far out to in. The numbers that I would like to see are launch angle and angle of descent to then be able to comment on angle of attack. Spin is not bad, height is a little low (23 meters = 25 yards = 75 feet) for a stock shot but very playable and probably why you are getting so much roll out versus carry. If I were you I would try to get that ball flight up to maximize your carry distance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

(edited)
41 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I agree with @saevel25 on the inside path being a little too far out to in. The numbers that I would like to see are launch angle and angle of descent to then be able to comment on angle of attack. Spin is not bad, height is a little low (23 meters = 25 yards = 75 feet) for a stock shot but very playable and probably why you are getting so much roll out versus carry. If I were you I would try to get that ball flight up to maximize your carry distance. 

Here’s the data with launch angle added. I couldn’t add specifically angle of descent but I have land angle - if that’s the same thing.

Ive had a new tendency pop up the last couple of sessions - I’m starting to top a few drives. It might be because I’ve increased the angle of attack too much unknowingly. I have another trackman session booked tomorrow to find out.

13B956C9-60BB-4742-A554-3F2F25FB87C4.jpeg

Edited by Andy Capped

3 hours ago, Andy Capped said:

Here’s the data with launch angle added. I couldn’t add specifically angle of descent but I have land angle - if that’s the same thing.

Ive had a new tendency pop up the last couple of sessions - I’m starting to top a few drives. It might be because I’ve increased the angle of attack too much unknowingly. I have another trackman session booked tomorrow to find out.

13B956C9-60BB-4742-A554-3F2F25FB87C4.jpeg

10° launch angle is definitely low. Go with what @iacas said and see how it goes.

Also am I the only one who finds it funny that club/ball speed are in imperial units but distance is in metric?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

So take this with an internet grain of salt:

Your launch angle varies from low 6 to 16 and somehow manages to come out to 10 as an average. You really need to get that tightened up but your ideal strike could range from 10-12 and with decent contact (ie: smash factor at 1.48) you can maximize carry distance for a big improvement.  

Landing angle (Angle of Descent) is the how the ball comes into the ground at the end of the drive. Again, you are all over the place, but the optimal is around 36-38. 

Anyway, with your swing speed your carry has room for improvement. Move the ball up slightly as @iacas mentioned and try to make contact in the sweet spot. Let us know how it goes! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

(edited)
7 hours ago, billchao said:

10° launch angle is definitely low. Go with what @iacas said and see how it goes.

Also am I the only one who finds it funny that club/ball speed are in imperial units but distance is in metric?

If my attack angle is around 0 then should launch angle be much greater than 10 degrees, given that's the loft of my driver?

I saw a trackman blog post that the average attack angle of PGA tour players is actually negative (-1.3), but their average launch angle is 10.9 degrees, even though they'd most likely be using lower lofted drivers.

I understand they swing a hell of a lot faster and can optimise their swing with a negative attack angle, but for weekend warriors like me who swing a lot slower, and positive launch angle helps get the ball in the air.

Edited by Andy Capped

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Andy Capped said:

If my attack angle is around 0 then should launch angle be much greater than 10 degrees, given that's the loft of my driver?

Yes. The shaft is almost surely in lead deflection at impact, and the CG is often lower in the clubhead, too.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)

I had another trackman session last night. 

My average path was 5.6 degrees in to out. Face angle 1.0 open. So I was hitting a lot of over draws still in general, dispersed with big hooks. Smash factor was down to 1.44, so not middling it as well as I was before.

I was really struggling to get my path down and manipulate the club face. When I was trying to deliberately deliver the club on a neutral to slightly out-to-in path, I couldn't get my face open enough to stop a massive hook. For example, a path of - 2.9 degrees (out to in) I delivered with a closed face of -7.4 degrees. I couldn't work out how to open the face more.

Could this be a product of a grip too strong perhaps?

Also, do you think changing to driver settings would help deliver with a more open face? Perhaps reducing the loft and moving the weights to a fade position? 

Averages below (in imperial)

Trackman30.8.22.PNG

Edited by Andy Capped

• Administrator

You could also just… grip it slightly more open.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Andy Capped said:

I was really struggling to get my path down and manipulate the club face. When I was trying to deliberately deliver the club on a neutral to slightly out-to-in path, I couldn't get my face open enough to stop a massive hook. For example, a path of - 2.9 degrees (out to in) I delivered with a closed face of -7.4 degrees. I couldn't work out how to open the face more.

As @iacas mentioned, set up with the face opened...more. But having a face -7.4 closed is massive and a real problem especially with a -3 path. Talk about left of left. You really need to go back to what you do best, have an in to out path at 2-3 degrees and a face to target angle just inside of that (ie: 1-2 degrees) for a tight draw. 

Could this be a product of a grip too strong perhaps?

It could be. I would be checking that the Vs of the grip are more neutral. 

Also, do you think changing to driver settings would help deliver with a more open face? Perhaps reducing the loft and moving the weights to a fade position? 

Your driver needs to be set up for a fade bias flight asap. If the weights are promoting a draw, you are compounding the issue. With your low ball flight to begin with, I wouldn't drop the loft, I would just set up open. 

• Like 1