IGNORED

Ball Striking Equipment

GloriaDG

A player at our club shanked a ball which lodged in her golf bag!! I advised that she had to take a penalty drop under the spot where it had lodged, but after I was asked  whether there might be a second penalty for striking ones own equipment (inadvertently of course!)  I am sure this is no longer a penalty, but could not find the appropriate rule to confirm this.

Any help please?

There’s no penalty at all. There’s no penalty for accidentally hitting an outside influence and since the ball came to rest on it, she must take relief.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, billchao said:

There’s no penalty at all. There’s no penalty for accidentally hitting an outside influence and since the ball came to rest on it, she must take relief.

Her own bag is not an outside influence, it’s her equipment. Same result though.

11.1a

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

As long as it's accidental, no penalty, see rule 11.1a.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.