IGNORED

Mike Adams Ultimate Golf Lesson?

After watching Mike Adams on Chris Como’s show a few years ago, he made a believer out of me that everyone had a unique golf swing dependent upon physical measurements (longer arms than height? More upright); grip; post (front like Bryson, center like Tiger, or rear like Bubba); and hip speed (glider, spinner or launcher). Adams also displayed what happens when you use the wrong setup leading to inconsistent shots.

Has anyone used this? I have not had a lesson from him or purchased the Ultimate Golf Lesson but have read extensively and watched more videos than I can recall.  I used to work with one of his putting instructors, and suggested he contact Mike because he had a similar philosophy for putting dependent upon how you set up to the ball and how you see a straight putt (which is a dramatic simplification).  I think he had already been in contact with him.

I ask because I can game the system when I measure my backswing and post. I had an in-person lesson with a good instructor on 7/1, and he showed me how I was using my upper body, and not my legs.  Odd for a former collegiate tennis player!  But he did not think too much of different posts.  He favored flattening my backswing and keeping the face stable through impact, with much more rotation than I have used in the past. I have had some really good results but have struggled with a left piriformis issue since making the change and occasionally revert to a hybrid new and old swing which causes big hooks.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Clemsonfan said:

I have had some really good results but have struggled with a left piriformis issue since making the change and occasionally revert to a hybrid new and old swing which causes big hooks.

Without getting into any one teacher's theories, change isn't easy.  Even with consistent focused practice, you're likely to fall back towards old habits, getting that "hybrid" swing.  You'll need to keep practicing, keep up with the drills and exaggerations that you've been taught.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I talked a bit about this a few years ago. Things have certainly changed a little, with adding more flow. Also with GEARs, we can specifically measure center of pelvis motion. The pro’s sequences are very similar even if they don’t all start in the same orientation.

@iacas  and @mvmac had some good responses there. Certainly with more flow-y players, there are more center or right pivot players. I don’t think body style can dictate that pivot perfectly. People just tend to find preferences. Use body type and physical traits and limitations, sure, but you could still go in a few directions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

This also talks about it. Everyones whale is slightly different but they still have it. Beneath this idea of posting is a common sequence of motion. Where it starts can certainly be individual and body style may be just one factor. 

• Informative 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

6 hours ago, phillyk said:

I don’t think body style can dictate that pivot perfectly. People just tend to find preferences. Use body type and physical traits and limitations, sure, but you could still go in a few directions.

I think you could have two people, with similar body builds, who do things completely different or have completely different feels. The brain matters to, and how they perceive the world. 

It could be a place to start, maybe for players who are on the extreme end, like super tall? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Others have answered, but I don't think there's really a lot to this. I have a lot of respect for Mike Adams, but… as others have said… well, hey, just read what @mvmac said:

In general I feel like any time you say "everyone can fit into these neat little boxes" it's a bit of snake oil salesmen type stuff. Because rarely is the golf swing quite that simple in that kind of way.

As with anything, if it works for you, great.

You should post a Member Swing topic. If nothing else, use it to post your progress and your work.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the feedback, and I will post my swing when I have the chance.

One thing that impressed me about Adams’ approach is when he mentioned specifically why Pro swings went off the rails- Lydia Ko and Yani Tsing changing posts; Martin Kaymer flattening his swing; 2/3 of people moving to Stack and Tilt because they weren’t front post golfers.

In 2014, I hit a rough patch and my pro had moved to another state so I looked into the Plane Truth system and worked with a pro for 3 years.  He wanted me to swing like Matt Kuchar, and I thought I was a two-planer!  This eventually turned into a right inward throw move and my body started to break down. Elbow injuries and my handicap increased- a little higher than it is now. I knew that swinging back along my hip line was not going to work for me.

Given that, I am biased to believing that your body should direct you to swinging a certain way, which led to my question. Looking forward to improving because I want to play tournament golf again. I have improved my putting and short game issues and would like to hit two more GIR to enhance my scoring opportunities.  

Thanks!