IGNORED

Dynamics of the Shorter Golf Swing

ellamia

My name is Jarrod Hanks and I am diving into the shorter golf swing.  It's not the years, it's the mileage, and my body can't turn and create as much power as I used to.  I am looking for people to share their thoughts on the short golf swing.  Such as Tony Finau or John Rahm.  They create so much power and they don't take the club back so far.  I was wanting input as to where golfers think the power comes from.  Sometimes my shorter golf swing sends the ball flying and other times it doesn't.  What changes from swing to swing that I can't sense that either gives my the power I need or doesn't.  Maybe we can start a thread on the short back swing.  Any way, looking forward to some great information.

Jarrod Hanks

29 minutes ago, Jarrod Hanks said:

My name is Jarrod Hanks and I am diving into the shorter golf swing.  It's not the years, it's the mileage, and my body can't turn and create as much power as I used to.  I am looking for people to share their thoughts on the short golf swing.  Such as Tony Finau or John Rahm.  They create so much power and they don't take the club back so far.  I was wanting input as to where golfers think the power comes from.  Sometimes my shorter golf swing sends the ball flying and other times it doesn't.  What changes from swing to swing that I can't sense that either gives my the power I need or doesn't.  Maybe we can start a thread on the short back swing.  Any way, looking forward to some great information.

Jarrod Hanks

Looks to me regarding their power secret, most of it comes from their transition.  They have great transitions, but what tour pro doesn't?

Oh, and welcome aboard Jarrod.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

1 hour ago, Jarrod Hanks said:

I was wanting input as to where golfers think the power comes from. 

Arm speed amplified by proper kinematic sequence and rotation speed. 

Sometimes my shorter golf swing sends the ball flying and other times it doesn't. 

Quality of contact is king. 

What changes from swing to swing that I can't sense that either gives my the power I need or doesn't. 

You shouldn't see much in terms of clubhead speed. 

Quality of strike can cause a huge decrease in distance. More extreme your path, and your face to path orientation creates a more glancing blow. Coupled with hitting it on the heel or toe just compounds the issue. This is why you do not see as much as a drop in distance on off center strikes for PGA tour players. Their face to path is solid, and their swing path isn't extremely in or out. 

Maybe we can start a thread on the short back swing.  Any way, looking forward to some great information.

A shorter swing can be a good things pending other things. It depends on the golfer. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

X factor stretch, strength, contact, rotational speed. They still make a full chest turn. The arms don’t move up as much which is fine. When Finau did his 200mph ball speed swing, he went further back than he normally goes. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

What @phillyk said… and often I'll have players move their arms less, but their body turns more, and they actually swing FASTER (also because their arms don't have to get around their body from the top to impact).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets