Jump to content
IGNORED

New Stronger Loft Irons


Nyrangers1022
 Share

Recommended Posts

Right now I have a set of One Length Cobra F8s.   I really thought about getting the new Cobra LTDx One Lengths.   The PW of the F8 is 44*.   However the LTDx is 41.5*.   The 5i of the F8 is 22.5*.  The LTDx is 20.5*. 

 

My question is, there will be a bigger gap between a new PW and my standard length 49* AW (yea a 44 to 49 is a solid gap as well but its pretty well gapped yardage wise).   And my current 4h will basically be the same loft as a new 5i.   Will it be a waste of time getting new irons without buying a complete new set of wedges.  Or is technology so far advanced in the shafts that the lofts don't mean as much comparing new and old irons.    

Edited by Nyrangers1022
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I think we used to call a club with 41.5 degrees of loft an 8 or 9 iron. 

If you buy the new irons with the jacked up lofts, you will most likely need to make adjustments to your wedge game. If you are going to do it, you may find that the F8 PW (with a tweak if needed) is your new gap wedge. Regardless of the clubs you end up with, you have to make sure that you are covered for all your distances with minimal redundancies. A good sand wedge will always be between 54-58 degrees for optimal play so you need to start (or end) there and gap accordingly. 

  • Like 1

Cobra LTDx 9* | Rad Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | 718 AP2 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | ProV1  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 hours ago, Nyrangers1022 said:

Right now I have a set of One Length Cobra F8s.   I really thought about getting the new Cobra LTDx One Lengths.   The PW of the F8 is 44*.   However the LTDx is 41.5*.   The 5i of the F8 is 22.5*.  The LTDx is 20.5*. 

 

My question is, there will be a bigger gap between a new PW and my standard length 49* AW (yea a 44 to 49 is a solid gap as well but its pretty well gapped yardage wise).   And my current 4h will basically be the same loft as a new 5i.   Will it be a waste of time getting new irons without buying a complete new set of wedges.  Or is technology so far advanced in the shafts that the lofts don't mean as much comparing new and old irons.    

I'm curious, have you actually hit the LTDx's?

Here's my worry. I like a lot of the idea behind one-length clubs. My concern is that the shaft being shorter on the 5-iron as compared to traditional clubs means you will be giving away some club head speed. Combine that with the lower loft and I'd be worried about the launch characteristics of 5-iron.

I actually think that many clubs, and especially one length clubs could benefit from a bit more loft. I get the idea of lower center of gravity and different face designs and I understand all of that. 
.... BUT ... loft is your friend. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, TourSpoon said:

I think we used to call a club with 41.5 degrees of loft an 8 or 9 iron. 

If you buy the new irons with the jacked up lofts, you will most likely need to make adjustments to your wedge game. If you are going to do it, you may find that the F8 PW (with a tweak if needed) is your new gap wedge. Regardless of the clubs you end up with, you have to make sure that you are covered for all your distances with minimal redundancies. A good sand wedge will always be between 54-58 degrees for optimal play so you need to start (or end) there and gap accordingly. 

Thanks, after this response it don't seem worth it to me

 

21 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm curious, have you actually hit the LTDx's?

Here's my worry. I like a lot of the idea behind one-length clubs. My concern is that the shaft being shorter on the 5-iron as compared to traditional clubs means you will be giving away some club head speed. Combine that with the lower loft and I'd be worried about the launch characteristics of 5-iron.

I actually think that many clubs, and especially one length clubs could benefit from a bit more loft. I get the idea of lower center of gravity and different face designs and I understand all of that. 
.... BUT ... loft is your friend. 

Never hit them thought about trying them.  However after a few replies it dont seem worth it.  I don't have any issues getting my current 5i launched.  Its good in the 175-185 yard range. But lower loft like you said could make it more difficult.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 12/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, Nyrangers1022 said:

Right now I have a set of One Length Cobra F8s.   I really thought about getting the new Cobra LTDx One Lengths.   The PW of the F8 is 44*.   However the LTDx is 41.5*.   The 5i of the F8 is 22.5*.  The LTDx is 20.5*. 

 

My question is, there will be a bigger gap between a new PW and my standard length 49* AW (yea a 44 to 49 is a solid gap as well but its pretty well gapped yardage wise).   And my current 4h will basically be the same loft as a new 5i.   Will it be a waste of time getting new irons without buying a complete new set of wedges.  Or is technology so far advanced in the shafts that the lofts don't mean as much comparing new and old irons.    

I currently game the F9 One Lengths. The 5i is 23 degrees and the set GW is 49 degrees. You will need the GW, trust me. The LTDx OL gap wedge is 47.5 deg, so it's 6 deg. If you dropped the set GW and went to specialty wedges, you'd need to go probably Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46, 50, 54, 58 (or change to the RTX Zipcore 58 low depending upon if you hit flop shots). 

Here's the bag I played last season: 

Ping G410 4H (22), 5H (26); Cobra F9 OL - 7i - GW. Notice I dropped the 6i because the 6i is the same loft as the 5H. I used the 5H for the same shots as the 6i and for bump and runs around the green. I did this not because I couldn't hit a 6i - it's one of my favorite clubs - it was that a bump and run was an auto triple bogey. Using a hybrid for them put me in position to save par because it's very difficult to chili dip a hybrid. For wedges I used a Cleveland Zipcore RTX 50, Callaway MD-4 54/10, and Callaway MD-4 58/8. My wedges are pretty shot so next season I'm replacing them with Cleveland CBX2 52, Cobra Snakebite OL 56, Cobra MIM OL 60. I don't hit full shots with my wedges. 

Dropping the 6i allowed me to put a 7W in the bag. I play a 5W & 7W and Driver at the top end.

I'd hit the LTDx OL and see if you like them better. If you do, I'd just get individual irons 6i - PW. There's no discount for buying a "set." The 6 is 23.5 deg. You already have a 4H that's 21 degrees. So you don't need a 5i, and then get the wedges. If you like the irons better than what you're already playing. You might want to compare your current hybrid to the LTDx hybrid or maybe even a Ping G425 425 hybrid (22) and loft it down to 21 degrees.

  • Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/4/2022 at 12:56 PM, Nyrangers1022 said:

Right now I have a set of One Length Cobra F8s.   I really thought about getting the new Cobra LTDx One Lengths.   The PW of the F8 is 44*.   However the LTDx is 41.5*.   The 5i of the F8 is 22.5*.  The LTDx is 20.5*. 

 

My question is, there will be a bigger gap between a new PW and my standard length 49* AW (yea a 44 to 49 is a solid gap as well but its pretty well gapped yardage wise).   And my current 4h will basically be the same loft as a new 5i.   Will it be a waste of time getting new irons without buying a complete new set of wedges.  Or is technology so far advanced in the shafts that the lofts don't mean as much comparing new and old irons.    

I bought a full set of the Cobra One length LTDx 5-GW, back in october, and if you don't get the GW, you'll need to pick up another wedge in the 46 to 48* range.  I did have the GW bent 1* strong to make the gapping a bit better..    I also have three of the Cobra snakebite one length wedges 48-52-56, but, i hit the LTDx GW so much better that i'll just keep the 48* wedge on the back burner..   

I will say this, I love being able to take a full swing with the LTDx GW, yes it's just a strong wedge, but the ball flight is so high, that it's like hitting a full SW.         

 

  • Like 1

It is what it is

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Partners

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

    Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Posts

    • Rory McIlory Jon Rahm Scottie Scheffler Collin Morikawa Justin Thomas Cameron Smith Max Homa Patrick Cantlay Matthew Fitzpatrick Dustin Johnson Xander Schauffele Tony Finau
    • Wordle 593 3/6* ⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜ ⬜🟨🟩⬜🟩 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩   Today was awesome - for me, get it in three..
    • I am not sure it always happens but players usually show each other their ball identification marks before the beginning of the round.  From my perspective if one of his playing partners confirm that the arrow mark is kosher then in my mind I am going to move on having discharged Reed honorably. There are greater co-incidences than another ball in another tree with the same arrow marking and really nothing more than an honest mistake in the ball identification.  P.S. Sorry, just read this.  If so, I guess it is entirely possible to follow the ROG to the T with no integrity at all.
    • Welcome aboard from a fellow NBer
    • Then, when you do the work that would've cost $1k if you hired a contractor, you're taking $500 out of your personal share of the account, and $500 out of the business's share of the account. As a side note, have you considered seeking out enterprise consulting services to help streamline your business finances and ensure everything is running smoothly? Just a thought.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...