IGNORED

Does Instruction Need to Change (Hugh Marr)

iacas

• Administrator

I'll watch and sort of "live blog" this. At least, the relevant parts.

0:30 - I don't know what makes one a "Trackman expert." It's not exactly all that complex. 😄

1:30 - Hugh doesn't like the "subjective" nature of golf instruction, so Trackman told him the objective stuff. Okay. Sure.

7:40 - "If I can't change the interaction between club, ball, and ground in three shots I shouldn't be doing this for a living." "You are saying you don't have to get worse to get better?" Fortunately, he clarifies shortly thereafter: "Making a change is simple. The player owning that change is what takes time." I say fortunately as we almost had another situation on our hands… 😉

9:00 - "Great coaching is quick tips built around a plan." "Some coaches will say 'I don't do band-aids'." Oy. Not a big fan of this way of talking. They're using words like "band-aid" and "quick tip" as if they're opposites, almost. I don't think most people will define them as they are.

14:00 - A student says "I want the club to hit the ground and the ball at the same time." Hugh changes "the concept" and on the next swing the student has forward shaft lean. I mean, c'mon. Tons of golfers know they want to hit the ground slightly after the ball… and don't have forward shaft lean. There's more to it — quite frequently — than that. Otherwise there'd be a bunch of tremendous ballstrikers out there.

19:00 - Furyk vs. Kuchar are both "functional." Yeah, okay, whatever. This is the kind of stuff golf instructors say to score points, but… that doesn't mean you're gonna teach someone to do what Jim Furyk does. Or that Jim couldn't have hit the ball farther or done something better with something different. There's still a reason swings like that are in the minority. It's so easy to say "I've never cared about form if the player is producing consistent impacts" but… duh. And you still have to care about form, because you have to help the player understand what can get off, and how to get it back on the tracks again. You still have to understand how it all works, how it's put together. There is a world of difference between, say, "let's change this so it's more like everyone else I teach" and what he's saying.

22:00 - I will not stand for the GG loving. 😉 Ha ha. I'm kidding. Mostly. I'm mostly wondering when we get to the topic in the title of the video, though.

25:00 - [Deleted the stuff about heat maps, baseball, hitting up/down, etc.] Though at 27:30 the "Trackman expert" says that "10.5° driver, if you hit it in the middle of the face with a 0° attack angle, it's gonna launch at 10.5°." No, it won't. It'll launch below 10.5° because it's not 100% face. Interest is waning.

35:40 - How can you be a good student? Specific objectives, question the coach. Okay. No problem with that. Asking questions is engagement. I tell my students I'll always be able to answer the question "why?" and the answer will never be "because it looks good."

38:45 - I hate hypotheticals like this one. "Coach A has a zillion qualifications but can't communicate with another human being." Coach B is the opposite. C'mon. There's not a single person out there who "can't communicate with another human being."

Okay, so, meh. I don't think there was much of anything to justify that title.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, so, meh. I don't think there was much of anything to justify that title.

What about "clicks"? 

As in put a title like that and hopefully you will get some. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Thanks for summarizing. I have no desire to watch videos like these. I don’t think they add anything that would help me be a better player. It’s more like a personal gripe video it sounds.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave