IGNORED

My Problems with George Gankas Instruction

• iacas changed the title to My Problems with George Gankas Instruction
  • Administrator

Thank you for posting this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Very nice analysis @Phil McGleno.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I like your analysis Phil. I have watched George on youtube and find most of his instruction hard to follow.

In any case I have two questions for you; as a novice when it comes to swing analysis could you help me out with understanding the following two items:

"None of what we are apparently calling 'flow' now with several manual movements in an effort to make it 'reactive' or something."  I am not familiar with this concept, could you elaborate on this or point me to a reference so that I may read up on this?

Also you mention positions in the swing (Px.x); is there a good reference that illustrates these positions?

Thank You

21 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

I like your analysis Phil. I have watched George on youtube and find most of his instruction hard to follow.

In any case I have two questions for you; as a novice when it comes to swing analysis could you help me out with understanding the following two items:

"None of what we are apparently calling 'flow' now with several manual movements in an effort to make it 'reactive' or something."  I am not familiar with this concept, could you elaborate on this or point me to a reference so that I may read up on this?

Also you mention positions in the swing (Px.x); is there a good reference that illustrates these positions?

Thank You

The first one is over my head.   I can help with the last one:

• Like 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

Check this out

Reactive would be something like what Trevino is doing with his stepping trigger or Henrik Stenson with his trail side shift trigger.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Slim_Pivot said:

What does EMBH mean? 

I don’t want to type what I think it means, and be wrong 

It probably means what you think it means. The first word is "eat."

Obviously, that's not part of the critique of the swing philosophy/teachings/etc.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

It probably means what you think it means. The first word is "eat."

Obviously, that's not part of the critique of the swing philosophy/teachings/etc.

Ok, it means what I think it means. Seems a little immature, even for a super bro.

But he’s got way more fame and fortune than me, so who am I to judge.

@Phil McGleno brings up some good points, especially 4 and 11.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:01 AM, Phil McGleno said:

Good things about George:

• Setup: armpits over the top of the knee over the balls of the feet.
  • Does not set up like old Adam Scott with straight back.
  • Generally better to be neutral or internal with trail elbow on backswing than external.
  • Eat the ball cue in transition.

I also think it's good that he plays, seems to be able to play well and works on his swing. Instructors have to be able to relate to what their students are trying to accomplish.

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

This is more a tech/business thing, but his website presence was a bit chaotic, some of it is not his fault as he got hacked, but I remember signing up to his site many moons ago and it was confusing figuring out which of the multiple sites out there was his. And also, his current online academy - it's all in for one year instead of month to month. Asking a years worth of tuition up front is a big ask and not what most other instructors ask - most, pretty much all, give you the option to cancel after a month.

The AMG guys made at least a few videos taking note of the hands going down not out from A4, I don't know when that out vs down argument peaked, but I could see many people getting confused by the two opposing thoughts.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:01 AM, Phil McGleno said:

Eat the ball cue in transition.

What does this mean? I searched on golf and "eat ball cue" and variants. No love, lol.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:51 AM, nevets88 said:

What does this mean? I searched on golf and "eat ball cue" and variants. No love, lol.

From what I've seen him demonstrate, lowering in transition with the upper and lower on top of each other, head getting closer to the ball.

eb.jpg

• Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 1 month later...

Do most of the people who work with Gankas improve? That's a serious question - obviously there are some of his students who are doing great, and we probably won't hear much about people who don't. But isn't that what really matters the most? I don't get the impression that he's trying to force all of his students into the same style. 

As far as whether his information is useful for people who just see things online (i.e. aren't sending him videos to get individualized feedback), I don't know how possible it is to quantify something like this. Most amateurs (including me) have absolutely no idea what's actually happening in their swings. Trying to improve by watching any instructional video or reading an article is kind of a shot in the dark since whatever they're describing may be the fix to the opposite problem that a particular person may have. When I video myself making what feels like a Jim Furyk steep takeaway it actually looks flatter than Hogan. I may feel like I'm staying behind the ball only to see that I'm way ahead of it at impact. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, exCartboy said:

Do most of the people who work with Gankas improve?

I don't know, but also… probably more so than other instructors for two reasons:

• he's giving out better information than 90% of instructors
  • his clients are paying several hundred ($500+) per lesson.

The latter speaks to student motivation.

As far as whether his information is useful for people who just see things online (i.e. aren't sending him videos to get individualized feedback), I don't know how possible it is to quantify something like this.

To be fair, I don't think that's what the topic is doing. Many of the Instagram posts, the YouTube videos, etc. pretty clearly show off what he's talking about, teaching, etc.

Most amateurs (including me) have absolutely no idea what's actually happening in their swings.

FWIW, the OP is an instructor.

This is more of a "theory" discussion, not a discussion about "how to get better using such and such or by doing so and so."

What's with Butch Harmon piggybacking GG lately? Saw a post on with BH using this  GBOX thingy to clear his left side. Harmon acted like he discovered a whole new universe. Lol.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator

They wrote an article together several months ago, remember. The IG post may have been an old one that promotes the G Box.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

They wrote an article together several months ago, remember. The IG post may have been an old one that promotes the G Box.

Yeah, saw that article. Harmon seemed to act more of a disciple role than GG. My perception anyway.

BH could have a vested interest in the GBOX, I guess. 

Not bashing anything but the bromance  seemed a bit contrived in general.

Vishal S.