IGNORED

Data Regarding Putters - Blade V. Mallet, Toe Hang, Neck Type?

Interested if there is an objectively superior design for putters.

I figured that this is very subjective - and use what works. But like all things in golf - we are moving towards data driven and finding clear superior things.

I have always liked and gravitated towards blades, but in the interest of "Lowest Score Wins" and in market for getting a fitting for a putter - is there data out there that has proven one type of design to be superior to others in any of these aspects?

Please share and discuss...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dudu3000 said:

Interested if there is an objectively superior design for putters.

Given the wide amount of individual differences among golfers, answer is no. In recent years, putting instructors have harnessed research on influence of dominant eye in golf performance, especially putting.

Tests on eye dominance related to putting stroke suggest that (assuming right-handed golfer)...

• Left-eye dominant golfers tend to do better with straight back, straight through (SBST) stroke
  • Right-eye dominant golfers tend to do better with an arc stroke

serious-male-patient-doing-eye-test-in-clinic-947AL5Z-1.jpgIn terms of hardware, SBST golfers often do better with face-balanced putters. Arc golfers, however, tend to do better with varying amounts of toe hang, which meshes with their arc stroke.

A full putter fitting is a good way to check which stroke type, and putter type, work best for a given golfer.

Note: The dominant eye link is from 2021. The putting stroke link, however, is from 2012; refinements might have emerged in past decade.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

That’s not up to date info. Nobody really putts SBST.

I’m at a tournament but look at @Bruce Rearick’s site and others for more recent info.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That’s not up to date info. Nobody really putts SBST.

I’m at a tournament but look at @Bruce Rearick’s site and others for more recent info.

This is very good.  It is not blade vs mallet but definitely worth the view.

• Upvote 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Damn @dennyjones, it’s an hour.🥴

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge