IGNORED

My Swing (Dwalk2088)

Dwalk2088

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years in some form. 
My current handicap index or average score is: 3.1
My typical ball flight is: All over
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Pulls

Videos: 

So, I’m very frustrated with my swing and a little nervous about going on a golf trip next week. I’m hyper critical about watching myself on video and some of that probably comes from not knowing if I’m doing things right or not. I’ve been trying to get my hips more linear and arm off the chest in downswing. I also think I get a little flat in the back swing and up on my trail foot, which I’m unsure if that causes issues or not. I’d love for some thoughts on what you see. First time posting the videos so I hope I posted correctly. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjlAYO4M74Y&pp=sAQB

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gnYiTLkvw&pp=sAQB

Edited by Dwalk2088
Didn’t delete text and videos were set to private. Have been edited on YouTube.

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (Dwalk2088)
  • Administrator

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/embed-videos/

I'll get a chance to look at these on Sunday perhaps. If I don't, send me a text.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hips and chest seem slightly open in setup, at least compared to foot line so hard to say where the aim is. Overall, I’d like to see more flow. Your left knee dips forward, towards ball, in the backswing instead of turning inwards a little which also means not getting into your right side a little. It appears like 80% of your weight is already on the lead side before you hit the top of your backswing. This makes getting a good lower body turn on the downswing difficult, hips move forward (early extend) to hit ball. 

I’d start by hitting some shots with your feet completely together (touching). Find that balance, you shod be able to full swing and not fall over. As you widen the stance try to at least keep the weight centered throughout the backswing and then in transition, you can start to transfer towards lead side. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

Right leg appears to be going straight and pushing the hips forward too early, so they lack the "depth" you're after.

01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right leg appears to be going straight and pushing the hips forward too early, so they lack the "depth" you're after.

01.jpg

Should the right leg hold more bend then to allow the Pressure/weight to load up and hip to work behind? Did I over do trying to keep the hip still from our GEARS lesson? 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dwalk2088 said:

Should the right leg hold more bend then to allow the Pressure/weight to load up and hip to work behind? Did I over do trying to keep the hip still from our GEARS lesson? 

Remember, the right hip will tend to push "back" slightly in both directions: "back" away from the ball a little, and "back" away from the target slightly (and early) in the backswing.

The right knee can extend but shouldn't lock out, and it generally won't angle so much like / from face-on so early in the backswing.

49 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Hips and chest seem slightly open in setup, at least compared to foot line so hard to say where the aim is. Overall, I’d like to see more flow. Your left knee dips forward, towards ball, in the backswing instead of turning inwards a little which also means not getting into your right side a little. It appears like 80% of your weight is already on the lead side before you hit the top of your backswing. This makes getting a good lower body turn on the downswing difficult, hips move forward (early extend) to hit ball. 

I’d start by hitting some shots with your feet completely together (touching). Find that balance, you shod be able to full swing and not fall over. As you widen the stance try to at least keep the weight centered throughout the backswing and then in transition, you can start to transfer towards lead side. 

I couldn’t agree more with the having more “flow” to the swing. It just seems as if I have a hitch of some sort in transition and I’m unsure how to smooth it out. Also, very interesting about the left knee, it should move more towards the ball or right in backswing? Will that correct itself on its own with better body movement or something you actively need to change? I’ll def do the drill you mentioned and see how it goes. Thanks for the response. 

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Remember, the right hip will tend to push "back" slightly in both directions: "back" away from the ball a little, and "back" away from the target slightly (and early) in the backswing.

The right knee can extend but shouldn't lock out, and it generally won't angle so much like / from face-on so early in the backswing.            

I understand what you mean much better. That is something, how the right leg worked and how it angled the hips forward, that I had as an intent last winter. Will just take time to drill it out. Thanks for the info. 

35 minutes ago, Dwalk2088 said:

I couldn’t agree more with the having more “flow” to the swing. It just seems as if I have a hitch of some sort in transition and I’m unsure how to smooth it out. Also, very interesting about the left knee, it should move more towards the ball or right in backswing? Will that correct itself on its own with better body movement or something you actively need to change? I’ll def do the drill you mentioned and see how it goes. Thanks for the response. 

I understand what you mean much better. That is something, how the right leg worked and how it angled the hips forward, that I had as an intent last winter. Will just take time to drill it out. Thanks for the info. 

The right leg thoughts @iacas had and the left knee I mentioned, generally, work together to get to a similar goal. One way to think about it, is try not to let either knee go past your toe line throughout the swing. 

@mvmac did this demonstration of the 2 step drill. 

The first swing he does. The club goes past ball and he steps with his right foot back. The club changes direction to go into the backswing. As he is approaching transition, he steps with his left foot. It takes time to get this sequence feeling exactly right but it will help with loading and shifting, with good timing. The next few swings are the progression after you can do the first swing well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Dwalk2088 said:

It just seems as if I have a hitch of some sort in transition and I’m unsure how to smooth it out.

Mostly because you're forward (target) too early, have to stop… and then start forward again.

Also, very interesting about the left knee, it should move more towards the ball or right in backswing?

Both.

Will that correct itself on its own with better body movement or something you actively need to change?

Depends on the player.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully you guys can help me with this: I’m hanging back severely. I’m not getting to front side and hitting big pulls/hooks and blocks. I’m working hard on “loading” up on trail side without pushing my hips forward along with lead knee moving more inward and not out to ball in backswing. Which is much different as I used to try to get pressure lead side asap. When in the backswing should I be recentered and then lead side pressure? I have to be pressuring too late but trying to retrain myself not to just push everything forward. Thanks in advance. 

Hard to say what is causing you to hang back. From my experience, it is something else in the swing causing it. Your body is trying to find a way to hit the ball. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Hard to say what is causing you to hang back. From my experience, it is something else in the swing causing it. Your body is trying to find a way to hit the ball. 

Yeah, I agree. Sometimes we get a little lost in our journey. Lol. I’ll have to post some video and see what more knowledgeable eyes than mine see. 

• Administrator

Post a video Dan. You want to be as far right as you’ll be around 2, then re-centered by 4 with momentum forward.