IGNORED

Shotscope G5 GPS Watch

• Administrator

Those familiar with the site may know that many of us have been using the ShotScope H4 for performance tracking and yardages.

Well, ShotScope has a new watch out that doesn't do the performance tracking stuff, but which does put yardages and keep track of your scoring on a lightweight watch.

It's called the ShotScope G5, and it's available for $149 at this link. The 15% discount should be working soon.

A lot of these screens will look familiar to a lot of you.

Upon startup, it'll locate itself in the world so it can show you a list of nearby courses.

shotscopeg5_1.jpg

This was from the US Am qualifier on Monday:

shotscopeg5_2.jpg

The yardage to the first hole…

shotscopeg5_3.jpgshotscopeg5_4.jpg

I loaned the watch to another player, @rwolfe, for these next few shots. Playing the 18th at WW (a severe dogleg, as many will know it is NOT 316 yards):

shotscopeg5_5.jpg

After playing the hole you can enter your score.

shotscopeg5_6.jpg

Then when you end the round…

shotscopeg5_7.jpg

… you're told how long your round took (and your score, if you care about that number for some reason). 🙂

shotscopeg5_8.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like the round time feature, other than that I’ll I stick with the H4 for shot tracking.

In regards to the yardage that was off on the dogleg.  Was it quoting yardage off the score card or “as the crow flies” to the green or just totally off?  Any idea what the H4 showed for that hole?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, StuM said:

I like the round time feature, other than that I’ll I stick with the H4 for shot tracking.

That's available on the H4, too.

1 hour ago, StuM said:

In regards to the yardage that was off on the dogleg.  Was it quoting yardage off the score card or “as the crow flies” to the green or just totally off?  Any idea what the H4 showed for that hole?

It's GPS, so it's always just straight. The H4 would show the same exact thing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That's available on the H4, too.

Its good to learn somehting new every day.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

It's GPS, so it's always just straight. The H4 would show the same exact thing.

OK, I thought you were saying it was incorrect.  

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Looks good. I have no problems with wearing a watch while I play  so this might be right up my alley if I didn’t already have the H4. I do still like having a GPS device along with my rangefinder.

1 minute ago, StuM said:

18 at WW doesn’t play 316. You hit your drive straight and then the approach is hard left.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Ok, so I have a Garmin that works just fine, I use the H4 for the tracking, so I have zero use for this watch. I'm ordering one anyways because it comes with 2 bands, and nice colors, orange and racing red are my colors of choice. Anyone want to buy a Garmin GPS watch?

Update: As of this posting the code wasn't working. I'll give it a few days. 

Edited by snapfade

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, StuM said:

As @billchao said, it's a dogleg. GPS is measuring straight line, of course, so yes, it's the incorrect yardage for the hole, but it's not incorrect on a straight line from the tee to the green.

13 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Update: As of this posting the code wasn't working. I'll give it a few days. 

I emailed them only a bit ago, and they're in Europe.

23 minutes ago, iacas said:

As @billchao said, it's a dogleg. GPS is measuring straight line, of course, so yes, it's the incorrect yardage for the hole, but it's not incorrect on a straight line from the tee to the green.

And I understand where it’s coming from, but I don’t like how GPS devices handle doeglegs like this.

The playing yardage is not the same as the yardage as the crow flies.

I have a rangefinder so it’s not a big deal, but some people don’t. They’re not going to have a decent reading off the tee.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread