IGNORED

Local Rule, Drop Zone Across Water Hazard?

TapOut64

The first hole at Honey Bee golf course in Virginia Beach is a par 5 over a creek which also runs along the left side of the hole.  You only need to carry your ball around 150 yards to carry the creek but even as a 11 handicap I still manage to screw up and hit a ball into the creek every so often.  They have the drop zone on the opposite side of the creek from the tee box.  I am sure they do this to speed up play however, as I like to play by the USGA rules of golf, my question is, is this acceptable as a local rule under USGA guide lines?  I feel guilty playing my third shot from the other side of the water.

The situation is permissible but not recommended.

This is what the R&A/USGA have to say.

Where to Position Dropping Zones

The Committee should attempt to place a dropping zone so that the architectural challenge of the hole is maintained, and it is typically not closer to the hole than where the player would be dropping the ball when using one of the options under the relevant Rule. For example, when situating the dropping zone for a penalty area, it should be set in a position where the player would still need to negotiate the penalty area rather than being located on the putting green side of the penalty area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TapOut64 said:

The first hole at Honey Bee golf course in Virginia Beach is a par 5 over a creek which also runs along the left side of the hole.  You only need to carry your ball around 150 yards to carry the creek but even as a 11 handicap I still manage to screw up and hit a ball into the creek every so often.  They have the drop zone on the opposite side of the creek from the tee box.  I am sure they do this to speed up play however, as I like to play by the USGA rules of golf, my question is, is this acceptable as a local rule under USGA guide lines?  I feel guilty playing my third shot from the other side of the water.

As @Rulesman says, that drop zone isn't recommended, but is completely "legal".  But it is also permissible in most cases to play under one of the other Penalty Area options, so you can still drop back on the line of you feel.better about it.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sylvan Glen where I play league has s hole where if going gif the green in : the water comes into play and the drop zone is on the far side @ 15 yards short of the green.  We’ve a few players go for the hero shot hoping for an eagle putt knowing they can drop & hit 4 from real close to save par.  I wish it were on the far side from the green to be a little more penal.

I usually lay up because I do not have the distance to clear and usually I am on in 3 so have a chance at Birdie to beat those that go for it and take the drop.  I just need to sink a putt.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades