IGNORED

Do I Get Relief From This?

ChetlovesMer

On Tuesday I was playing alone and missed the 5th green at Arrowhead Lakes to the left. The ball hit the cart path and bounced nearly onto the 6th tee box. 

It was lying near the cart path and near one of those signs that a lot of golf courses have which show the length of the hole from different tee boxes and a little map of what the hole looks like. 

image.png.b90524b786d04934448eb6d222e4488f.png

The sign was right in my way. I could not hit a normal lob wedge toward the flag. ... A shot by the way that I'm pretty comfortable with. 

Instead I opened the face of my 60 degree wedge and tried to hit an abnormally high flopper over the sign to the green. The ball caught the bunker and and things went badly from there. 

My question is: Would I have been eligible for relief from the sign? 

I know that Immovable obstructions are artificial objects that are on the course for a good reason but aren't meant to interfere with the playing of our game. If an immovable obstruction interferes with your lie, stance and/or swing then you're eligible for free relief. BUUUUUTTTTTT...  The sign didn't interfere with my lie, stance or swing. It only interfered with the trajectory and normal flight of the ball had I hit the shot I'm comfortable with. 

So, I didn't take relief because I didn't think I was eligible for it.
Was I right? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You were right, sad to say.  Without any local rule in effect, you only get free relief for line of play when you ball is on the putting green.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

10 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

You were right, sad to say.  Without any local rule in effect, you only get free relief for line of play when you ball is on the putting green.

That's what I figured. 

Thanks. 
Good news is I made the correct call. Bad news is I didn't hit a very good shot. 🤪

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

So when we see a tour player get relief from a TV tower is that because it is not a normal part of the course while the hole marker above is a normal part of the course?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

10 minutes ago, StuM said:

So when we see a tour player get relief from a TV tower is that because it is not a normal part of the course while the hole marker above is a normal part of the course?

It is because the tour allows relief under model local rule F-23, for Temporary Immovable Obstructions.  Without that local rule, they wouldn't get relief either.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• iacas changed the title to Do I Get Relief From This?
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

It is because the tour allows relief under model local rule F-23, for Temporary Immovable Obstructions.  Without that local rule, they wouldn't get relief either.

I think this is fair because they are bringing in objects not normally on the course, like those hole signs, or maybe a random maintenance building. 

I had this situation in a tournament a few months ago. A competitor hit his ball just behind a building on the course. It wasn't something like a weather safety building, but an old shack that just sits between two holes. The scorecard, nor any local rules handed out mentioned that building for line of site relief. He had to play his ball as it lies since it didn't interfere with his golf swing. I think that was the correct call. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, so Happy should have gotten relief from the tower that fell on the green.🤪

c9fca9e0-c596-4c2f-8cc3-3b855a476e61_text.gif.b938ea0784f4b0931c098bb505474ef5.gif

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1