IGNORED

I'm Lost

Hi everyone,

this is my first post. I’m 48 years old, both kids are in college so I have more free time on my hands. Why not pick up golf? Seemed like a good idea. 

I’ve golfed before. Maybe twice a year for the last 30 years. Whenever friends or family wanted to play. Nothing serious. 

I took a lesson from a local pro back in December and he gave me some general advice. I have a golf net in my backyard so I started practicing and recording my swing. I live in the Phoenix AZ area. That lead me down a rabbit hole of suck. I noticed every thing I was doing wrong. That lead me to buying a bunch of training aids that have probably made me worse. Just got back from the driving range and at best I haven’t improved. At worst I’ve regressed. 

When I first recorded my swing I noticed I was flipping the club at impact. Then I noticed I was casting. Then I noticed I wasn’t using my hips enough. All thes revelations took place over a couple of months. 

so, I’m lost. No idea what to do or what to work on. Any have a similar journey? Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!!!

5 hours ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Hi everyone,

this is my first post. I’m 48 years old, both kids are in college so I have more free time on my hands. Why not pick up golf? Seemed like a good idea. 

I’ve golfed before. Maybe twice a year for the last 30 years. Whenever friends or family wanted to play. Nothing serious. 

I took a lesson from a local pro back in December and he gave me some general advice. I have a golf net in my backyard so I started practicing and recording my swing. I live in the Phoenix AZ area. That lead me down a rabbit hole of suck. I noticed every thing I was doing wrong. That lead me to buying a bunch of training aids that have probably made me worse. Just got back from the driving range and at best I haven’t improved. At worst I’ve regressed. 

When I first recorded my swing I noticed I was flipping the club at impact. Then I noticed I was casting. Then I noticed I wasn’t using my hips enough. All thes revelations took place over a couple of months. 

so, I’m lost. No idea what to do or what to work on. Any have a similar journey? Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks!!!

Create a My Swing thread in the Member Swings section. We can take a look at it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to The Sand Trap!

Best advice I can give is find a quality instructor and work with them on one piece at a time. 

Go slowly and learn how to practice properly. 

Good chances are some of the things you mentioned like flipping the club are reactions or byproducts of other things that already happened in the swing so you need a quality instructor to identify flaws in the stance, grip, backswing, etc instead of just "trying not to flip the club at impact"

If you want quality online lessons, Evolvr.com is great for that, but a Member Swing thread on here is a fine place to start as well.

1 minute ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Thank you both! I will upload a video tomorrow. 

Also, learn how to properly film your swing.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Welcome to TSR.  I’m not qualified to give swing advice other than ”Get a series of lessons”. 1 session with a pro is better than none, but not much better.

• Funny 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

2 hours ago, Sandhills Golfer said:

Are you looking for a lessons response or something else? I'd also suggest getting a hybrid iron set, like Cobra's, Cleveland and Wilson a good place to start.

More of a lessons response. I will upload a video soon. Thank you! 

• Like 1

For the life of me I cannot upload a video. my video is only a 4 sec slo mo video. Keep getting this error:

1 file was larger than the maximum file size of 5MB, and was skipped

6 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

For the life of me I cannot upload a video. my video is only a 4 sec slo mo video. Keep getting this error:

Upload it to YouTube first and then paste the link. It will auto embed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, JohnnyUtah said:

Please don't upload videos directly to the site. Also, for what you're now trying to do… please create a topic here:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Your first post will have instructions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets