IGNORED

One More Club to Complete Bag. Choices & Suggestions

My bag is a club or two from being complete.  My instructor said I would probably swing hybrids better than woods.  I got a good deal on a 5 hybrid last week.  Now, I am torn among a 3 hybrid (some say lower swing speeds and 3 hybrids aren't a good pairing), a heavenwood (might be too pricey), a hy-wood, a fy-brid, etc.  Do I need a 4 hybrid more than a 3 hybrid?  I am a 50 year old total beginner on a little bit of a budget.  I know many will say you need to go out and swing a few at your local shop.  My area has one local shop and offers very little.  I hope to order online from a place that has a 30 day play it guarantee.  Currently, I am looking at:

• Wilson LP LaunchPad Fybrid Draw Bias 19.5* brand new $57.00
  • Cobra Fly Z XL 19* very good condition $45.00  Why is this club so cheap?  I have read great things about it.
  • Cobra King F9 19* 3 Hybrid great condition  Not sure how high the bid will go on this one.
  • Cobra Baffler H Rail  Older technology is keeping me away a bit.  Prices are low.
  • Cleveland HiBore  Same as Cobra Baffler H Rail
  • Cobra T Rail  Newer technology.  $70 - $90 
  • Any others you suggest...

Many thanks for all help and suggestions.

BAG:  :cleveland:

DRIVER:  :tmade: Aeroburner Black Head 12.5*

WOODS:  :adams:  Tight Lies 5W & :wilson: Launch Pad 2 7W

HYBRIDS:  :adams: IDEA SUPER S VST 5H

IRONS:  :wilsonstaff: D9 (5-GW)

PUTTER:  :odyssey: Dual Force 550

Let me start by asking the question.  What exactly do you need your club for.  What are the clubs above and below it.  Is there a specific gap you need to fill.  Is there a type of ball flight/shot you are looking for.

As a rule, the less lofted the club, the more swing speed you need to efficiently hit the club.  Drivers are sort of an exception to the rule because you can generally hit a driver much better than say a 1 or 2 iron even allowing for the lesser loft.

Shaft is also something you need to understand.  Get one that fits your swing.  Correct flex, kick point and weight are all important criteria.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

My bag is a club or two from being complete.  My instructor said I would probably swing hybrids better than woods.  I got a good deal on a 5 hybrid last week.  Now, I am torn among a 3 hybrid (some say lower swing speeds and 3 hybrids aren't a good pairing), a heavenwood (might be too pricey), a hy-wood, a fy-brid, etc.  Do I need a 4 hybrid more than a 3 hybrid?  I am a 50 year old total beginner on a little bit of a budget.  I know many will say you need to go out and swing a few at your local shop.  My area has one local shop and offers very little.  I hope to order online from a place that has a 30 day play it guarantee.  Currently, I am looking at:

• Wilson LP LaunchPad Fybrid Draw Bias 19.5* brand new $57.00
  • Cobra Fly Z XL 19* very good condition $45.00  Why is this club so cheap?  I have read great things about it.
  • Cobra King F9 19* 3 Hybrid great condition  Not sure how high the bid will go on this one.
  • Cobra Baffler H Rail  Older technology is keeping me away a bit.  Prices are low.
  • Cleveland HiBore  Same as Cobra Baffler H Rail
  • Cobra T Rail  Newer technology.  $70 - $90 
  • Any others you suggest...

Many thanks for all help and suggestions.

This question should answer itself after a few rounds of golf. Every time you are in a situation on the golf course and say to yourself either: "I wish I had a blankety blank yard club", or "I wish I could hit this club a little farther... or I wish it was easier to dial this one back a bit." 

Don't just stick a club in your bag for the sake of putting a club in your bag. 

Take note when you play. What shot is giving you the most trouble because you don't have a club that does that? 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I have driver, then 5 hybrid is next.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, collegefbfan said:

I have driver, then 5 hybrid is next.

I might suggest you aren't thinking about this correctly. Don't think in terms of what clubs you have. Think in terms of what distance gaps you have.

For example if you carry your driver 220 yards and your 5 hybrid 200 yards. You may not need to fill a gap. If you carry your driver 305 and your 5 hybrid goes 190 then there's a lot of gap to fill. 

First thing to do is get really good data on how far you hit each club. Don't guess. Get data. 

The question you've asked can't be reliably answered without data. 

• Informative 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I might suggest you aren't thinking about this correctly. Don't think in terms of what clubs you have. Think in terms of what distance gaps you have.

For example if you carry your driver 220 yards and your 5 hybrid 200 yards. You may not need to fill a gap. If you carry your driver 305 and your 5 hybrid goes 190 then there's a lot of gap to fill. 

First thing to do is get really good data on how far you hit each club. Don't guess. Get data. 

The question you've asked can't be reliably answered without data. 

Chet is 100% correct but if you simply do not have time to get the data and the prices you indicated are fairly low I would lean towards a 3 vs a 4 simply because it should be longer than a 4h and you can always do a partial swing to take a little off it if needed and an extra few yards is only occasionally a bad thing.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

My swing isn't super consistent quite yet.  I have hit my driver around 200, sometimes 190 sometimes 200-205.  But usually around 190.  I have only hit the 5 hybrid a few times due to all the rain we have had lately.  At best it was around 160-165.  I totally see what you all are saying about needing club to fill the gap more than a club to fill the bag.  Many thanks.

6 hours ago, collegefbfan said:

My swing isn't super consistent quite yet.  I have hit my driver around 200, sometimes 190 sometimes 200-205.  But usually around 190.  I have only hit the 5 hybrid a few times due to all the rain we have had lately.  At best it was around 160-165.  I totally see what you all are saying about needing club to fill the gap more than a club to fill the bag.  Many thanks.

Your instructor isn’t off per se. I wouldn’t see an issue with you picking up say either a 5 or 7 wood… or a 4 hybrid or so. If you can find say something that goes consistently 170-175 then you could probably lighten your bag until you get some consistent strikes. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”