IGNORED

Launch Angle With Driver

So I have been hitting my driver a lot better this year. Massive slice is gone (unless I try and kill the ball, which I avoid doing now), and a bad drive is now more of a big fade. However my launch angle is pretty low. I went to a range with TopTracer today, and when I was using my driver I was probably averaging about 5 or 6 degrees launch angle. Unfortunately the only stat I can see on the app is that for the long drive game I averaged 251 yards, so I don't have any other numbers. 

What are some of the likely causes of having such a low launch angle? I am thinking I am either hitting down on the ball, or the ball is too far forward in my stance and I am catching it a little thin (while I don't feel like I hit consistently thin, a thin miss is definitely more common than a pop-up miss. 

I play the ball off my front foot big toe. Is that not a good spot? Could I be standing too close to the ball? It isn't uncommon for me to hit one a little bit with the heel, but I basically never feel I hit one of the toe. 

Golf in the summer, curl in the winter.

Sounds to me like you’re still swinging in and you’ve learned to close the face a little bit more than you used to.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Launch angle is a mix of dynamic loft and angle of attack. Dynamic loft including the loft of the driver and how it is influence at impact by your swing and by the golf shaft. 

Odds are you have a negative attack angle. Yes, hitting it low on the club face can decrease launch angle to. Unless you can get the full set of stats, hard to tell what is going on. 

2 hours ago, StKildaSenators said:

I play the ball off my front foot big toe. Is that not a good spot?

Depends on the width of your stance. Rory has a super wide stance, so his all position is inside his lead heel, but it is forward in his stance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 6/17/2024 at 4:53 PM, billchao said:

Sounds to me like you’re still swinging in and you’ve learned to close the face a little bit more than you used to.

What seems to have work for me to go from "always a massive slice" to "generally ranging from almost straight to a fairway width fade" was strengthening the grip, and feeling like I am leading with my left arm down a 1st base line. So it does make sense that I would have a more closed face.

I definitely swing less in than I used to (I got lessons and that was a big focus). It feels like I'm swinging as inside out as possible, but of course what it feels like isn't necessarily true lol. 

Golf in the summer, curl in the winter.

Get out the foot spray and first determine where on the face you’re hitting the ball.🙂

• Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

8 hours ago, StKildaSenators said:

I definitely swing less in than I used to (I got lessons and that was a big focus). It feels like I'm swinging as inside out as possible, but of course what it feels like isn't necessarily true lol. 

If you were swinging -6° before and now you’re swinging -3°, that would be less in but still in. If it’s playable just go with it for now and if you’re still taking lessons, just keep grinding away.

You can play with ball position and tee height to affect your launch, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread