IGNORED

My Swing (DrMetal)

DrMetal

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years
My current handicap index or average score is: +24
My typical ball flight is:  pull if I hit if strong/well,  slice if I hit it weak 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  pull.   I'm pulling my irons. 

Videos: 

I would love to have some feed back.  This is a 7 iron, I'm using a SkyTrak launch monitor.  This is one swing, and the attached screenshot is from the SkyTrak for this particular swing.  

I'm most concerned with my pull.  I'm pulling the heck out of my irons.  The swing feels good, I feel like I'm making good contact, getting good distance (170 yards with my 7-iron), but I just cant stop pulling.   

20240707_163430.jpg

• DrMetal changed the title to My Swing (DrMetal)
  • Administrator

Good angles are important. You'll find people like to help, including me (for free), but we insist on good camera angles. And, if possible, both face-on and down-the-line.

It's impossible to say definitively, but your body rotation likely needs ramped up quite a bit, with your arm usage ramped correspondingly down quite a bit.

You stop turning on the backswing early and the arms and hands keep going. So, the same is true on the downswing: the body has to stop turning and the arms and hands come flying through to catch up.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

You stop turning on the backswing early and the arms and hands keep going. So, the same is true on the downswing: the body has to stop turning and the arms and hands come flying through to catch up.

I see what you're saying. So I should work on turning more in my back swing, so that I don't have the swing my arms so far back?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, DrMetal said:

I see what you're saying. So I should work on turning more in my back swing, so that I don't have the swing my arms so far back?

You should post a good video from good FO and DL angles to confirm, before you begin working on something. Slow motion if possible (most phones will do it).

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I bought something similar to this. 

This allows me to use my phone for recording my swing. At least I don't have to ask some random person at the range to video tape it. 😉

• Like 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

@iacas @Vinsk  @saevel25

Sorry for the bad initial angle, I hope these are better.  They're two different attempts, but this is essentially my 7 iron (I average a distance of 150-160 yards, which I'm ok with, I'm not a long hitter).  My biggest concern is this 10-15  degree pull.  

Would love to have any of your feedback.  Thank you for all you do! This a great forum! 

Face on View (155 yards, 11 degree pull left)

image.thumb.jpeg.3d20bd83688c5511234ee6c1853a458c.jpeg

Down the Line View (7 iron, 161 yards, 12 degree pull left)

image.thumb.jpeg.d6094fb9e0d8eef0fd9353768c8a27a7.jpeg

You need to have the camera lined up on your toe line on the down the line view and have the camera at hand height. For face on, it needs to be centered on your body and hand height. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When you have reached the top of your back swing , you appear to move your trail ( right) shoulder outwards…towards the ball. This throws your path outside to in but you keep your club face square to that path thus the pull. Drag the play bar with your finger and watch it slowly. Watch your right shoulder just as you start the down swing.

• Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

When you have reached the top of your back swing , you appear to move your trail ( right) shoulder outwards…towards the ball. This throws your path outside to in but you keep your club face square to that path thus the pull. Drag the play bar with your finger and watch it slowly. Watch your right shoulder just as you start the down swing.

Thank you for the feedback.  Yes, I can see that.   How would you suggest correcting that?  To be honest, I don't think much about what my shoulders are doing in the backswing.   

During my backswing, I pretty much just concentrate on a few things: keeping my eye on the ball, keeping my left (leading) arm straight and strong, and swinging fast with good rotation.  

I really don't have a great concept of shoulder control.  

Appreciate the help! 

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, DrMetal said:

keeping my left (leading) arm straight and strong

Really? But you don’t. That is mostly about the right elbow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Really? But you don’t. That is mostly about the right elbow.

Thanks for the feedback.  Would you mind expanding a bit?  Are you talking about the movement of the right (trailing) elbow, as in needing to keep it tucked in?  I think I've been given that advice before, to keep the right elbow tucked in.  This prevents the right shoulder from going too far out?  Maybe that's what I need to work on.  

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, DrMetal said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Would you mind expanding a bit?  Are you talking about the movement of the right (trailing) elbow, as in needing to keep it tucked in?  I think I've been given that advice before, to keep the right elbow tucked in.  This prevents the right shoulder from going too far out?  Maybe that's what I need to work on.

Please take this the right way — I’m not going to be able to say much or demonstrate much with those camera angles. You must get those right, and ideally with high speed video (slow mo).

My earlier comment was to speak to how you said you concentrate on a few things but do almost none of them. Getting better is going to require you to not only understand what you do and don’t do but also to improve them one at a time. Your left arm is clearly not straight. Did you think it was?

Post good video to get a better analysis. And learn what those spots are so you can compare changes.

• Like 1