IGNORED

Exactly how does scheduling/playing ettiquette work?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like..when I decide I am ready to hit the course...how will everything work?

1) I'm guessing I just call them up. Do they assign me a time?
2) Is it typical for a course to be relatively backed up?
3) What's kosher? Waiting to drive AFTER the person ahead of you has sunk theirs?
4) Is someone that's NOT PLAYING allowed to tag along?

Anything else I should know?

Like..when I decide I am ready to hit the course...how will everything work?

1) Yes, call them up. They will give you a tee time after inquiring how large your group is. Going alone is OK as well.

2) On weekends, most courses do back up, yes. 3) On par 3's, you wait until the green is clear. On par 4's, you can take the drive as soon as the fairway is clear (they've taken their 2nd/3rd shot, etc). Likewise for par 5's.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

4) Is someone that's NOT PLAYING allowed to tag along?

Course policy varies. Inquire with your local course. Some require every person to have a bag, some don't care.

In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

I play a lot with my fiance who just rides the cart. She doesn't play and has no interest in playing, she just drinks beers while I play. I usually tell the person in the pro-shop I have her with me and ask if there is a rider's fee (there usually is, another $10 or so).

I don't bring her on rounds for courses that I know will be crowded. She comes along for the more relaxed casual rounds when I am likely to be playing solo and not paired up with other people.

Regarding showing up and playing or calling ahead, it really depends on the course and more importantly the time. Don't be afraid to call the pro shop and ask:
- When is the course real busy, when is it dead?
- When is a tee time recommended?
- If you show up solo, will you likely be able to play (you usually don't get a tee time when you are solo).

Weekend mornings are usually a mob scene at most courses. But Sunday afternoons tend to be dead at a lot of courses.

On weekdays I have often found that there are "rushes" when play is crowded. Morning, a lot of the regulars like to get out and get their round in early. Then there is a lull around noon'ish. But around 3 you get the after school crowd (when school is in session) and around 4-6 you get the twilight rush. After 6 it cools down a bit (usually too late to get in a full round).

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

If you show up solo, will you likely be able to play (you usually don't get a tee time when you are solo).

What do you mean? Do you mean showing up to play whenever is usually the case when solo, or do you mean a group is required?

You don't need a 4some to play. You can show up solo. You usually do not need a tee time, and they will either pair you with people or let you go by yourself (depending on how crowded the course is).

If I am going to go play and don't have a group, I usually call the pro shop and ask how crowded it is, and if it is likely that a single will get out. Very rarely have I been told that it is too crowded for "walk ups" to play, and it is about 50/50 as to whether I get paired up with somebody.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Try going on a Sunday afternoon or later on a weekday (6'ish). You don't need to play solo, but you probably don't want to get in the middle of a competative match on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

Playing with a more experienced player may be beneficial to you, but make sure you have proper etiquette and let him know you are just learning. Then don't be nervous and have some fun.

What's in the bag

So for my first trip, I should probably go during a light time so as not to annoy people that might be behind me?

My first few trips to a regulation course were weekday evenings after work. We'd get there around 4:30 and play however many holes we had time for. Course was slow, but whatever. Some days we'd get 6 holes in, other days 15. Never finished 18.

I also went many days after work or on weekends to nearby courses that were par-3 or executive (par-3 and a few par-4). It's a great way to get used to what goes on on the course.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Try going on a Sunday afternoon or later on a weekday (6'ish). You don't need to play solo, but you probably don't want to get in the middle of a competative match on a Saturday or Sunday morning.

That's the only thing I'm worried about is holding people up. I'll try to go kinda late. With the time change, it doesn't get really dark around here till 7:30 or so.

My first few trips to a regulation course were weekday evenings after work. We'd get there around 4:30 and play however many holes we had time for. Course was slow, but whatever. Some days we'd get 6 holes in, other days 15. Never finished 18.

I don't think there are strictly par 3 courses around here :(

That's the only thing I'm worried about is holding people up. I'll try to go kinda late. With the time change, it doesn't get really dark around here till 7:30 or so.

My suggestion, then is to read the

Slow Play Week Recap from what TST staff did almost a year ago now. There are great ways you can avoid holding people up. Go out there and have fun.
I don't think there are strictly par 3 courses around here :(

Sadness. Those are great for when you're pressed for time or want to practice the short game more.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My suggestion, then is to read the

The best thing you can do when it comes to playing too slow is be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye out for groups behind you. Watch your ball carefully. The biggest round killer is walking around aimlessly looking for lost balls. Have fun and don't be afraid to pick up your ball if you are struggling. At this point it's more important to get a feel for the game than count every stroke. I know, I'm actually suggesting cheating but unless you are playing for money or posting your score don't worry about it.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

The best thing you can do when it comes to playing too slow is be aware of your surroundings. Keep an eye out for groups behind you. Watch your ball carefully. The biggest round killer is walking around aimlessly looking for lost balls. Have fun and don't be afraid to pick up your ball if you are struggling. At this point it's more important to get a feel for the game than count every stroke. I know, I'm actually suggesting cheating but unless you are playing for money or posting your score don't worry about it.

I keep hearing dont be afraid to pick up your ball. What does that mean?

I was wondering the same thing...

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

"Don't be afraid to pick up your ball"

It means that if you're holding up play and you're behind the group, just pick up the ball, put it in your pocket, and then catch up with the group and play your next shot (dropping the ball aroudn the group), be it from the green or on the next tee.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:

I very much doubt that you're going to be betting or establishing a handicap on your first round. Your goal for your first few rounds should be to (a) have fun and (b) get accustomed to what a golf course is like. While you should do your best on each hole, if you're having serious trouble on a hole, you can (literally) pick up your ball. Tell your group you're picking up for this hole. Keep pace with your group, get some water, think happy thoughts, and go to the next hole refreshed and ready to play.

You can't do this if you're planning to post a score, but for the first few rounds, it isn't uncommon to pick up after 8 or 10 strokes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

If you have taken 6 or 7 shots on a hole and still are not on the green, then pick up your ball and go putt from 20 feet or so.

You don't have to finish every hole, and really should not worry about finishing a hole if you are looking at making a 10 or 12 on the hole. That will slow down your group and could upset your playing partner. There is something called Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) for handicap purposes. It is also known as a "max" on a hole. This is not in use for tournaments, but for your sunday round there is a certain maximum that you are allowed to take on a hole. (The theory is that if a 5 handicap wants to jack their handicap, they could take a 15 on a hole they are out of and double their handicap by intentionally tanking one hole, as well as speeding up play for high handicappers). ESC maxes are: singe digit handicap: double bougey 10-19: 7 20-29: 8 30+: 9 So you technically cannot post higher than a 9 on your scorecard. If you are looking at a 9, pick up your ball, you have reached your max.

What's in the bag

Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!