IGNORED

Favorite fundamental?

Note: This thread is 5848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's your favorite fundamental? That thing you constantly have to return to when your swing is feeling out of whack? I'm sure it's different for everybody. I have several, but here are two I especially like:
  1. Firm right side. I like to pretend my right leg, from my thigh to my shin, is a tree trunk. I keep it slightly bent, but solid. I find that if I can avoid flexing my right knee during the swing that I will return to the correct impact position far more often. This is how I get rid of fat shots.
  2. Balance. I don't think this gets stressed enough. When I practice staying in good balance, everything gets better, and I'm freed up to swing more athletically. My personal thought to keep in balance is to balance on my arches. I like to pretend there is a sliding rail that I'm standing on during my swing.

Ball position accounts for a ton of my poor shots.

Many of the rest are a slipped grip.

If those both fail, I probably swung too hard. This happens on 3H and above, but rarely on my lower ones. I don't have the ego that compels me to hit a wedge into a green when a 9-iron will do nicely.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What plagues me most is lapsing back into a steep backswing and downswing causing fat shots.

It is very hard for me to sense swing plane. I see many pros checking their swing plane just before a shot.

Anybody know a drill to engrain the proper swing plane ?

Mine is tempo, mainly having a nice backswing turned into a rushed downswing...which causes me to either push the ball or chunk the shot. I have to remind myself that the anything outside of my solid, natural swing speed isn't worth the little bit of extra distance. There's always a lower club.

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

posture. don't hunch over. keep your back straight and bend at the hips. remember to keep your chin up so that your shoulder can clear under it.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Tempo

As stated earlier, good tempo is they key to good ball striking. Nice rhytmic take-away that transitions into a good swing. I try to focus on a good transition and making sure that I in the slot and then I really accelerate through contact (from the 9 o' clock to 3 o' clock position on a clock).

Posture

I sometime get too much weight on my toes and lean towards the ball a little. This is a common mistake for a lot of people. To correct this, I make sure that I am keeping my weight centered in my "middle". I can feel the difference in my feet. When I have good posture, the weight is evenly distributed between my heels and the balls of my feet. A good way to check this is to have a playing partner gently push you after you address the ball. If you stumble either forward or backward, then you're not centered.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I sometime get too much weight on my toes and lean towards the ball a little. This is a common mistake for a lot of people. To correct this, I make sure that I am keeping my weight centered in my "middle". I can feel the difference in my feet. When I have good posture, the weight is evenly distributed between my heels and the balls of my feet. A good way to check this is to have a playing partner gently push you after you address the ball. If you stumble either forward or backward, then you're not centered.

Yep, this is exactly the type of balance I try to achieve. What I realize is that when I'm not balanced on my arches, then my swings are really a controlled fall. And when I'm in a controlled fall it's difficult to have the same swing plane every time.

My favorite fundemental is by far the grip. Its a great feeling when you have the shaft wrapped in your hands correctly.........
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

posture. don't hunch over. keep your back straight and bend at the hips. remember to keep your chin up so that your shoulder can clear under it.

Yes. Trying to "keep my head down" set me back for months.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

The two for me are grip and alignment. When I take the time to concentrate on both, I play really well.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Grip:
I tend to get my right hand to far on top of the club and my palms do not face each other. This causes me to not square the club face consistancy. When my palms face each other, I have a better feel for where the clubface is throughout my swing.

Tempo:
I tend to get to quick with my lower body which gets the club stuck on my downswing. Although I know I am not actually doing this, but the feeling is that my club beats my lower body through impact.

Driver - R7 425 9.5*
3 Wood - 980 15*
Hybrid - Rescue Mid 19* & 16*
Irons - 735.CM 4-9
Wedges - 248.06, SM54.14, & SM60.08White Hot Tour #5 Ball - ProV1 XHome Course: The Island

What's your favorite fundamental? That thing you constantly have to return to when your swing is feeling out of whack? I'm sure it's different for everybody.

I feel the fundamentals (grip, aim, alignment, posture, ball position, and balance) all work hand in hand and if more than one is off at the same time it can lead to struggling.

For me the one that makes the biggest difference between really swinging well and struggling with my ball striking it is posture. Posture influences balance, swing path, swing plane, arm hang, tension (or lack thereof), angle of attack, weight shift (or lack thereof), optimal ball position (for where the club contacts the ground), and many other things.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Tempo for me. If my tempo is on everything else seems to fall into place.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

other important fundamentals not to forget:
-no reverse pivot
-golf is a game of opposites (if you try hard to kill the ball. it will kill your swing)
-light consistent grip pressure
-its a game. have fun with it.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

Note: This thread is 5848 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!