IGNORED

What does your CLOTHING say about you?

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Pants only.
Never shorts.
Big belt buckles.
Usually match the hat, belt, and shoes.
New-School style.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care what I wear. As long as it isn't too constricting. Most often it's just a t-shirt with shorts, jeans and a wind breaker if it's cold outside. In other words, the same way the $20 hack weekend golfer looks like.

None of the people that I play with dress like $20 hacks. Most of them play on weekends.

If 90% of the golfers you see that dress well can't play, then you need to find a place where the golfers are better. Shiny clubs are an indication that golfers are taking care of their equipment. Dirty clubs are like dirty balls: they don't perform well. There's a reason why every caddy, PGA Tour or local club, clean your irons. Right now, I find it hard to believe that a guy with a 13 HC is taking down 95 out of 100 golfers without a struggle.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Please inform me how jeans disrespect the game of golf. This is ridiculous.

Denim is banned on the PGA Tour. This may be one of the reasons. It's also a neatness factor. Personally, when I see someone wearing jeans, they're wearing a $5 pair from Walmart. It's not like someone is going out and wearing 7 For all Mankind, Rock n Republic or some other $200 pair of jeans that look really nice. Instead, they look like, well, slobs. That's not to say you can't look like a slob wearing khakis. You can but we're talking about jeans.

The LPGA tour made forms of denim acceptable, this year. I believe you can wear a denim skirt but not shorts.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I ALWAYS wear pants... for some reason, and I can't really explain why, I have this strong feeling that I just have to wear pants because its what is done on tour. This is definately strange but I can't ever bring myself to wear shorts, even when its a massive heat wave. Granted I wear the nicest microfiber golf pants I can find....

Exactly what i do, i've always done that.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Would you wear jeans out to a nice restaurant? How about to work at a white collar job. How about going to church? Jeans are fine if you are hanging out but they are not considered "nice" clothing. You cannot be dressed up with jeans on.

IMHO golf is a special game and should be respected. Respect is shown by dressing properly in nice clothing, just like at a nice restaurant, a church, or job. Showing up at any of those places in jeans would be considered disrespectful or "classless". The same is true at the golf course.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Would you wear jeans out to a nice restaurant? How about to work at a white collar job. How about going to church? Jeans are fine if you are hanging out but they are not considered "nice" clothing. You cannot be dressed up with jeans on.

Respectfully, I think we're getting a bit carried away about jeans. Denim is banned on the PGA Tour. I believe plenty of golfers take their cue from that.

As for jeans being inappropriate for work and restaurants, I disagree. There are plenty of high-end jeans that look significantly better than any pair of khakis ever could. Additionally, it depends on where you live. In NYC, it's the norm. You see people dressed extremely well, both in the office and in restaurants, while wearing jeans. There's a huge difference between Wranglers and Chili n Pepper.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I wear jeans to work sometimes. Usually when I have to fly myself to or from work, but sometimes just because I want to be more comfortable. I also wear jeans to nice restaurants, even if my wife gets dressed up. I don't dress like a slob, and am pretty clean-cut but if these guys want me to drop $100 a head or more, they'll let me dress how I want. I can always take my business elsewhere, and sometimes have.

I was surprised when I found out that many courses have dress codes! I typically only wear a collared shirt when I'm being paid, and even then not always. I'm not a fan of Polo shirts, but bought several of them for when we go to a real course. We also bought shoes (I'm not afraid to wear black shoes with shorts. I have black shorty socks to go with them ). So far, we've only been to a small public course where pretty much anything goes. Looking ahead, we need to 'dress up' to play. My wife is enjoying it, buying some really obnoxious golf shoes (aren't they all?). I've had a harder time finding shirts I like, but found some. I hate the arm cuffs on many short sleeve shirts.

We're really digging the visors. I have a bucket hat as a backup, but I may look at jeff caps (flat caps) to really complete the look.

Depends, I always wear a collared shirt and golf cap, either Titleist or Mizuno. Almost always tuck in the shirt. I play at a private course, and most guys are playing in Jeans, or shorts. It is more of small rural town so that figures. I usually wear jeans to work, so if I play in the afternoon during the week I will head out in jeans. On the weekend, either slacks or if it is pretty warm, shorts. Always tucked in on those days. I try to match stuff as much as any straight single man can actually match his clothing, which means probably not very well.

I think this says that I want to look good, but not stand out too much.

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

I think traditional golf wear is silly. I think it's silly that golf actually has a dress code and that you will be considered (judged?) to be something other than a gentleman if you don't wear a polo shirt tucked into a pair of slacks.

I think it is silly that a person doesn't have enough class to take the slightest effort, and dress appropriately for a gentlemen's game. You don't even have to try that hard. Heck, a simple pair of khaki shorts and a collared shirt and you are there. Baseball cap? Fine. Shades? Fine. Sneakers even? Not a big deal.

But if you insist on wearing your "no fear" t-shirt just to buck the trend, I think that's just silly. The way I see it, most women like a guy that can make himself look presentable. Baggy Dickies, 80's shades and a t-shirt isn't going to land you a date with anyone but a fat chick.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

C'mon dude. No self-respecting player of this game wears jeans on the golf course. Period.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

If I were a member at a ritzy country club, and had t-times with doctors and a judge, or a couple potential business clients--I'd dress like a preppy fratboy.

But I don't play at a country club. . .never will by choice, unless I'm in a scramble with a buddy or something--that's the only time I'll be at a country club. Although I consider myself a gentlemen (most of the time), I don't like a lot of the ideas that came along with the game of golf.

It used to be a game of prestige and money. Obviously, under certain situations, a racist game also.

So what does this have to do with this thread? I'm not traditional I guess. I wear big pocket cargo shorts from March to October, weather permitting. I don't care if I'm golfing, washing the car, going out to eat, whatever. I'm going to be comfortable. I have some nice golf shirts, some dry-fits, etc, etc. I'm not a complete slob by any means.

I'm also not trying to pick up chicks at the golf course, or trying to impress ANYONE as far as my looks are concerned. I play at a very well kept, 27 hole public Municipal (sp?) golf course. Ran very professionally, but they don't gripe when I wear a plain t-shirt and my Colts hat.

As far as jeans. . .some people I know, wear and own nothing else. Who cares, let's play some golf for Pete's sake.

Jeez

i cant wear slacks or long pants cause its too damn hot..... i came back today from a day at the country club and i wore a pair of tan cargo shorts a grey polo and my black adidas golf shoes and my NY Yankees hat i love wearing shorts cause its so comfortable

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

If Im at a par 3 course or a casual muni course, I might wear jeans with a collared shirt, I don't see a problem with that at all. I wear jeans golfing, but not often. Most of the time, Im in some shorts or slacks, and collared shirt. I don't think wearing jeans and a t-shirt is disrespectful to the game of golf. For me, it depends on the course. At a country club, high priced public course, tournament, or a nice round with some buddies, I'll definitely dress nice.

I agree with LottaBalata, who cares what people wear golfing. Sure, there should be some regulations, but t-shirt and jeans is fine by me as long as they aren't breaking the regulations of the course.

Its not about what the golfer looks like, but rather their etiquette and respect for the game when on the golf course.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

IMO I think jeans on a golf course just looks tacky. With every sport there is some kind of uniform no matter what it is...and golf is a sport and proper golf attire would be golf shoes, collar shirt, and slacks or nice shorts. But that is just me. When i see someone playin in jeans I never say anything but I do always think its a bit down dressed. A good rule of thumb has always been, its better to be over dressed then under dressed

In My Bag:

Sumo2 5900
Sasquatch 3w
Slingshot 2 Hybrid Slingshot 4-AW CG10 52* Forged 58* Studio Select Newport 1.5

Clothes are overrated!! Really, clean and neat is fine. Jeans are fine. I'm usually worried about staying warm in the winter and being comfortable in heat/wind in the summer.

Golfunit

In the Bag:

Driver: FT-5 10° Speeder 652 Stiff4-Wood: Taylor Made V-Steel Regular 14.5ºHybrids: Taylor Made Mid 19º and 22ºIrons 4-W MP-60 DG S300Wedges: MP-T 51°06 and 56°10Putter: Red-X

Wow... looks like this thread touched a nerve with some folks. Based on the locations of some of the posters it may be that certain colder regions of the country have moved to a 'jeans acceptable' policy. Maybe its a NW thing... to each his own.

Thats not the case here in VA. Its a pain to change before a round but the rules help keep a standard in place. Besides, it gets too damn hot here to wear jeans. That being said, put me down as one of the preppy fratboys. I like to look good on the course and in the bar afterward.

Now if only my game were that easy to put together.

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!