IGNORED

Pushing everything right

Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I seem to be pushing everything right about 10-15 yards of target. No slice, just a straight push. I assume my swing is on the correct path and I am just not closing the face. Anyone have any drill that I can work on to get the club face closed or ideas of what else would be causing this. Thanks!!

Driver - R7 425 9.5*
3 Wood - 980 15*
Hybrid - Rescue Mid 19* & 16*
Irons - 735.CM 4-9
Wedges - 248.06, SM54.14, & SM60.08White Hot Tour #5 Ball - ProV1 XHome Course: The Island

I used to have the same problem... I found out I was doing something funky with my wrists at the top of my backswing. Shorten your swing just a tad and see what happens.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

straight pushing generally means your path is wrong...too inside-to-outside (with an open blade too). if the blade is too open and the path is correct, you see a slice.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Things I've done to correct my push:

- Stronger grip

- distance from the ball at address

- alignment

- start backswing with the club / hands instead of a full body movement

- smaller hip rotation in the backswing (chair drill)

- keep the club on plane (ala Hogan)

- left wrist straight at the top (an instructor pointed out some wierd wrist angle change on my downswing start)

- more upper body / less hip rotation through the downswing to impact

- rolling right wrist post-impact

Last few holes I played, nothing went to the right. Mostly straight, couple of monster pulls, but nothing to the right. Might be something in there you can use.

I would geuss that you are opening your clubface at impact and you are going too far inside-out. I personally like pushing the ball out a little bit and having a nice little draw on it.
In my bag:
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5 re*ax
3 Wood:R5 XL
Irons:FP Irons 5-GW
Hybrids:Baffler DWS 3,4 Wedges:588 RTG DSG 56º, 60ºPutter:White Hot XG #9 34"Grips: Lamkin Crossline CordsBall: Pro V1x

Check your alignment first...Take your setup then lay your club down behind your heels. Are you aligned correctly or are you aimed right of your target?

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I seem to be pushing everything right about 10-15 yards of target. No slice, just a straight push. I assume my swing is on the correct path and I am just not closing the face. Anyone have any drill that I can work on to get the club face closed or ideas of what else would be causing this. Thanks!!

Split grip drill. Basically grip the club with your top hand about 3 inches above your bottom hand and swing as normal. Really allows you to feel what your arms and wrists should be doing to release at impact. It is also a great drill to fix other swing faults as well, over the top move, etc.....

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

All kinds of advice

Without seeing your swing it really is hard to tell what is causing it. A straight up push is the result of approaching the ball from the inside (which you are supposed to do) but not squaring the club face at impact. There can be multiple reasons for that.

Personally, I find that when I develop a push it is because my timing is off (typically from swinging too damn hard). My lower body outraces my upper body and the arms and club get stuck behind. Once you are stuck, it's extremely difficult to get the face back square at impact and the resulting shot is a push.

In My Bag ( Superlight 3.5):

Driver: 9.5* Burner SuperFast, Matrix Ozik XCon 4.8 Stiff
Fairway Woods: Steelhead III, Uniflex Steel (3w, 5w)
Hybrids: Big Bertha Heavenwood 4H, Uniflex SteelIrons: Victory Red Full Cavity, Stiff (5-AW)Wedges: WALTER HAGEN,...

I have had the same problem this year. My Uncle said that I was moving forward as I started my downswing. When I was at the top, I was trying to drive through the ball and the result was me swaying slightly forward and that made me push the ball. I work on staying still through impact and everything seems to be back on line.
In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

Whenever I push the ball it's because I don't finish my follow through completely, but if it's a persistent thing, than it might be bacause your right elbow is too far away from your torso on the downsiwng.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

Whenever I push the ball it's because I don't finish my follow through completely, but if it's a persistent thing, than it might be bacause your right elbow is too far away from your torso on the downsiwng.

I think this is what it was. I went to the range today and worked on a drill which takes the position at the top thoughts out of my head and just focuses on weight shift and getting to my finish. I hit the ball much better aside from the few hooks. Thanks for all the help keep them coming cause I always like new drills.

Driver - R7 425 9.5*
3 Wood - 980 15*
Hybrid - Rescue Mid 19* & 16*
Irons - 735.CM 4-9
Wedges - 248.06, SM54.14, & SM60.08White Hot Tour #5 Ball - ProV1 XHome Course: The Island

looks like you have gotten quite a few pointers, so i wont add any "swing" advice, but have you checked your lie angle on your irons? i would go the range and ask to borrow there lie angle board and get some lie angle tape and see where the sole is hitting the ground at impact. if its towards the toe, it will cause good shots to be right of the target also.

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

I had this problem and when I finally got fitted, come to find out I needed irons that were more upright and thats about it. Could be that simple.

In the Bag:
Driver 907 D2, 8.5*, Accuflex x-stiff
3 Wood 904F 15*, Accuflex V2, x-stiff
Hybrid 585H, 19*, Aldila NV 85S
Irons MP 57's, + 1", 1* up, Project X 5.5Wedges Titleist Spin Milled 56* and 60*, oil can, +1/2", 1* upPutter :Scotty Cameron: Newport 2Ball ProV1Bag: OGIO Gromwww.quail...

The dead push has haunted me a bit this year as well. Been working to diagnose it and narrow down what the problem may be. What's frustrating is that the shot feels so good coming off the club. Dead center clubface strike with my driver, then I look up to see it 15 - 20 degrees to the right. Lots of distance as well which is not a good thing when the ball is heading in the wrong direction.

I'm a swayer/slider towards the ball. Been working hard this year to incorporate more of a turn instead of starting the downswing with a drastic slide. Also, I think I tend to have too much turn away from the ball, which then turns into a slide when I need to correct myself midswing. I think I over rotate, and my hips and turn much more than they should, causing me to get "stuck" back there which leads to excess lower body movement.

One thing that helps is slowing the transition from backswing to downswing. Allowing gravity to kind of drop the club to the inside rather than trying to get it there with my lower body. This keeps your hands in front of your chest as you rotate to impact.

These are just my thoughts and some things that have worked for me. By no means was a golf pro involved.

Seem to be having this problem as well. I'm just bombing stuff right into the trees. During play, I've just been compensating by always aiming for the left side. Then, started hitting these nasty duck hooks for the first time in the past month, which I had never done before. With my new push/hook combo, I was having to worry about going left AND right. Been trying to fix it on the range. Recently, got ride of the duck hooks but still fighting the push.

As mentioned in someone's earlier post, when I also hit the ball, it feels really effortless & clean. It's annoying that it has to be a push. Does anyone think the shaft has anything to do with it? I play a 905r with Stiff YS-6+.

Here's what I've tried:

1. Alignment Initially, I thought it was an alignment issue. But when I line up straight or slightly open, end up hitting a pull & sometimes fade (almost slice).
2. Stand closer to the ball Read that a push is probably swinging too much inside-out (as ppl have mentioned). So, tried standing closer to the ball, which has helped me swing more upright and less wanting to swing on a flatter plane.
3. Grip I've been varying between using a strong grip & neutral. I've been trying to stay neutral since I do that for everything else. But I'm still in the process of correcting my tendency to align myself to the right. So when I align myself to be straight or slightly open... I've been using a strong grip to compensate & not slice.
4. Swing plane Found I was thinking to swing too much around. I have a pretty upright swing for my irons. But I've been having to watch out for swinging too much outside-in now (which results in the fade/slice).

Going to get my first lesson in years. Take advantage of the free 10-minute lesson for this month. I've been wanting to start lessons anyway. Hopefully that'll help me start to fix all the issues and help me have a consistent repeatable swing.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks!
In My X-87 Bag:

Driver: 907 D2 10.5° (YS-6+ R)
3-Wood: 906 F2 (YS-6+ S)
Hybrid: 585H 19° (YS-6+ S)Irons: 735.CM 4-PW (DG R300)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM.56°, SM.60°Putter: Circa '62 #2

Some things to check:

1. Position of the ball at address. Pushers tend to play the ball too far back. Essentially the club doesn't have enough time to rotate to square.

2. Body alignment. I've seen pushers of the ball have their body open and I've seen pushers of the ball just aiming to the right without even knowing it.

3. Hip rotation. This is probably the cause as most amateurs have nowhere near enough hip rotation on the downswing. Most amateurs slide the hips on the downswing and then don't get any rotation. Instead, the hips should just purely rotate on the downswing, to the point where the belt buckle is facing the target at impact. When the hips don't rotate, that opens the clubface at impact which causes shots to go to the right.

The good news is that usually pushers are pretty good swing plane. So it's very unlikely that you are coming over the top since you would likely be slicing or snap hooking the ball.

3JACK

I had a terrible issue with pushes and i found out that two problems were causing it. The first was that I was standing way too close to the ball and because of that it caused me to have a very vertical swing plane. Vertical swing planes usually warrant an inside-out swing plane which will give you a mean push. Try moving away from the ball and bending a little more at the hips.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

Note: This thread is 5822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!