IGNORED

Repairing Ball Marks

iacas
Note: This thread is 3756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
so apparently according to the demonstration video, the Scotty Cameron ball repair tool is not good or effective at repairing ball marks due to the design of it:

Correct. It encourages improper use.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by wils5150

I am just happy if people fix them properly and don't create tons of dead spots on the green !

Fixed it for you.

I try, but I always end up leaving a little 1/4" hole that I need to tamp down flat. I should watch some videos on ball mark repair, now that it is becoming more of a concern for me.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I learned something today....thank for the info.  I have forwarded this to people I play with that have been telling me the "wrong" way to repair a ball mark.  Personally, I think it is very poor etiquette to not repair ball marks....

Roy

Please give this site a read, and watch the videos, to learn how to properly repair ball marks.

Proper Ball Mark Repair.

This is one of the best posts I have read, very informative and helpful !!!

thanks

I also repair other ball marks as well. Can you imagine what the greens would looks like if every golfer correctly repaired his divot and another divot as well !

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

This was a very informative thread.  One thing that I'd like to point out since we are on the subject of repairing ball marks.....This time of the year and especially where I live, the temps get below freezing and the greens are frozen.  When they start to thaw and if you are playing, it is virtually impossible I think to correctly repair the ball mark.  I've tried but the top half inch or so of the green is soft but below that is just frozen ground.  What should you do in that situation?  I have been trying to fix as best I can but I'm sure that it's the "improper way", but I don't see any other way to fix it when the ground below is rock hard......

To me, this is a great post, because I put etiquette way before good scoring. Nothing more refreshing to see on the gofl course then an individual who respects the game by adhering to the rules of golf. Playing at a good pace, being prepared to hit when it's your turn, fixing your divots on the fairway and the green , respecting when others are preparing to hit, etc, etc. Isn't it discouraging putting on a green that' all hacked up with ball marks? A good rule to abide by is not only to fix your ball mark, but fix others that you might see. (correctly!)

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

Yeah when I joined a club and started playing with people I'm not always familiar with I actively went and found the correct way to repair pitch marks and have since always done the plus 1 rule! Repair your own plus 1, and unbelievably I usually always find a plus 1 too! My friends do it now too! If only everyone would do this!!! Unfortunately it's occasional weekend hackers and beginners that don't seem to find this important and have probably never even seen a repair tool! We can do our bit with the plus 1 rule but the clubs themselves need to encourage it and ensure all players have a tool and know how to use it!

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!