IGNORED

Why do you care how I play!

golf_junkie27
Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been reading various threads about etiquette, pace of play, distance, the importance of equipment, etc. Most of the replies are interesting and unique. However, I have a few questions. When you're playing golf, do you play to your abilities? Or, do you not care and are out there to have a good time? Do you try things you normally don't and care less about the result?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

If I played to my abilities, I'd never get out of the cart. I don't have the best equipment, and I like to do my best, but I'm more concerned about having a good time out there.

Driver-Callaway FT-5 Draw 9.5"

3WD-Callaway Hawkeye 15*

Hybrid-Callaway FT 21*

Irons-Callaway Steelhead X-16 4-P

Wedges-Callaway Big Bertha Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter-Odyssey White Hot #1

well i just started golfing, and i try not to get to crazy with trying things that are out of the ordinary or too risky of shots to be taking because i dont want to be out there holding up the ppl im playing with or in front of. if i hit into the thick rough or behind some trees, ill just punch it out onto the fairway and go from there instead of trying to hit over/through the trees.
In my Datrek Cart Bag (soon to be replaced):

Driver: Lynx 2008 Predator Ti (10.5*, Regular Flex)
Woods: Walter Hagen AWS (3 Wood)
Hybrids: Walter Hagen MS2 Hybrids w/ graphite shafts (18*, 22*)Irons: Walter Hagen MS2 Irons w/ graphite shaftsWedges: 56* Taylor Made rac w/ steel shaft ; 52* Slazenger...

I usually try to play within my ability, however I do find myself getting a little greedy once and a while, trying going for a green outside of my comfort distance or trying to hit that miracle shot from the trees. The results are rarely good and I am put back in my place. I always try to have a good time and enjoy the company of playing with my friends. But I can get caught up in a bad round every now and then and let it effect me at times, which is something I try to work on.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Both. I care about how I play but the bottom line is I'm out to have fun. There are rare days where my entire game (driving, short game, putting, course management and mental attitude) shows up. More often than not at least one or more is lacking and my scores reflect that. However I can't make the entire experience about two numbers, which realistically mean only something to me. No one else really cares about my game, and quite honestly I don't care about anyone else's. If I can't find something good out of it, even if it just the fact I have the health, money and time to be able to golf than I need to find something else.

When you're playing golf, do you play to your abilities?

Almost always. Certainly recently. I was tempted to try a risky shot once, and my match-play opponent (not a tournament, just a for-fun match) offered me a free mulligan if I attempted it and didn't like the result. Other than that? No, I lay up when I need to and yesterday made 3 up-and-downs from the fairway.

Or, do you not care and are out there to have a good time? Do you try things you normally don't and care less about the result?

Low scores are fun. Playing to my abilities keeps my expected score low. But I do a lot of probability work outside of golf, so that's just how I think.

well i just started golfing, and i try not to get to crazy with trying things that are out of the ordinary or too risky of shots to be taking because i dont want to be out there holding up the ppl im playing with or in front of. if i hit into the thick rough or behind some trees, ill just punch it out onto the fairway and go from there instead of trying to hit over/through the trees.

And this will lower your expected score, so it's rather smart

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me it depends how my round starts. If I am doing well and a risky shot wont bury me, Ill try it - it may not pan out very often but the few times it does makes it all worth it. Some of those shots can make an overall horrible day more rewarding.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Some of those shots can make an overall horrible day more rewarding.

The downside(for me at least) is some of those shots can make an overall rewarding day more horible

My Bag

Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

usually, yes. i try to make smart decisions and lay up if a green is too far away. unfortunatly i get greedy. like yesterday i tried to fade the ball from behind a tree. it hit it and bounced back and hit me. penalty. then i hit a branch. i FINALLy took my medacine, played out backwards, and made 9.

i'm such an idiot

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

The downside(for me at least) is some of those shots can make an overall rewarding day more horible

Where I am at right now, my next goal is to break 100, but I am satisfied if my score stays under 110. If trying a shot like that drops me to a 112 I can live, but a few times those shots have kept me from hitting 60 on the front 9 which keeps me from putting too much pressure on myself on the back 9.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Where I am at right now, my next goal is to break 100, but I am satisfied if my score stays under 110. If trying a shot like that drops me to a 112 I can live, but a few times those shots have kept me from hitting 60 on the front 9 which keeps me from putting too much pressure on myself on the back 9.

I hear ya. Part of getting better and learning about your game takes a given amount of risk. In my game it is usually best if I minimize the risk and play a little more conservative at times. Of course that doesn't always stop me from trying things that may be outside my ability, it is great when it works out. Good luck getting through the sub 100 barrier!!

Here is a prime example of me needing to stay within my ability. On two par 5 holes(4,6) on the front 9 of my local course, I hit great drives and had 240 and 225 respectively in to the green(holes are 533 and 487 yards). Shot on hole 4 has OB left and water right, I hit 4 wood in to the water end up making a 9, when laying up and hitting wedge in would have yeilded likely bogey at worst. Hole 6 has a waste area down the left and wraps around the front left of the green, plenty of room to the right and opens up the green on that side, so I aim right(my miss is a pull) hit a 3 iron, thinking at worst I will be short right, safe. Hit it perfect, ball lands on the downslope and runs up on the green pin high right side, 2 putt birdie. There are just certin times I need to think smarter and know when it is best to try those types of shots. Hole 4 was not the hole to try to take the risk where hole 6 doesn't really hurt you to try.
My Bag

Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!