IGNORED

US Open Challenge - He shot 114!!!

hurley9192
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Romo shoots 84
Justin shoots 98
Lauer shoots 100
Atkinson...114!

I guess he caved under pressure. Lauer hit a 20 footer on 18 for 100.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Romo shoots 84

I guess that's about right. I figured Romo would play well with Timberlake and Lauer in the 90's somewhere. But I was surprised by Atkinson's score. Being an 8.1 myself I figured low 100's but 114 -- wow. I have to believe I would have outperformed that..

It must have been difficult on a long course like Torrey to hit hybrids of the first few holes. As well as I've been hitting driver I would have been tempted to let her rip and take my chances, but oh well.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Golf_Junkie27-114

He wins!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

at least my guess of 100 was scored by someone

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I am not at all surprised by the 114. I am surprised it wasn't 134.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

• Administrator
Here's the story itself:
http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/u...contest_strege

I think I'd guessed 109, right? Hey, within five, that's not too bad. I also put the over/under at 2.5 for the number who would break 100, and I nailed that one. Would have been the perfect number.

The thread is here and the list is copied here. Everyone within five is in green. Seemingly there are a lot of optimists here.

lamebums - 90
hurley9192 - 91
Dent - 92
srjorion - 93
bFlat450- 94
Craig Mac - 94
BritBoy - 95
Bump-n-MI - 96
blurry - 96
ERC7.5-97
shortgrass lover - 97
bogeyhitter25 - 98
underparnv - 98
Cizzle - 99
x-forged- 100
michaeljames92 - 100
Pinseeker81 - 101
AceDunk - 101
i-Guy - 102
Wisco-Kid - 103
MCRhea - 103
Klew - 104
rudygu - 104
harrinjj - 104
GoingfortheGreen - 105
Rusty2228 - 106
geezer -107
JeffG - 107
mphsglf - 107
Wilsh99-108
Alex B - 108
AmenCorner 108
iacas - 109
BigAl5150 - 109
Finn07 - 109
Leonardite - 110
Atltony - 111
Rx Phoenix - 112
Three Putt - 112
TheGolfingDetective - 113
Golf_Junkie27-114
Elsfan 117
cbe_golfer 118
Razorhog - 119

InTheTwenties - 125

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But I was surprised by Atkinson's score. Being an 8.1 myself I figured low 100's but 114 -- wow. I have to believe I would have outperformed that..

I've never played golf under that kind of pressure. That has to add a number of strokes to your score.

I always get nervous on the 1st tee at TP. You always have a bunch of people watching from the shop and starter.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

Maybe being the non-celebrity and possibly not used to having few if anyone outside of three other golfers in the foursome go to him. The last thing I would be thinking before the start of my swing is "How can I make it your fault that you got hit? I mean, you are on a golf course." ;)
So what was the deal? It got started with Tiger saying no way a 10 could break 100 on a US Open setup from the same tees the pros used. Most quotes I saw from oother pros doubted it much too. Two did and a third needed only one stroke to do so. Was the course not quite the same as what the Tour will be facing? Were they Legit 10's?

• Administrator
Maybe being the non-celebrity and possibly not used to having few if anyone outside of three other golfers in the foursome go to him. The last thing I would be thinking before the start of my swing is "How can I make it your fault that you got hit? I mean, you are on a golf course." ;)

You could have answered these questions for yourself with a little bit of research.

The easy pickings are: 1) Tiger said it about Oakmont last year. This is a bit of a bastardization of that original idea, but the "essence" of it still exists. 2) Only one of the guys was really about a 10 handicap - and he played off 11 at Torrey Pines (as an 8.0 index). The others - celebrities - were added just to make it better for television. Most pros were asked about the one guy - not the others. Romo was a 1.4 or a 2.2 (index), Lauer and Timberlake were 6.2 and 6.0 indeces.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know Torrey Pines must be playing VERY LONG from the Professional Tee's, but still 114. I mean, playing double-bogey golf would get you a 108... 114? thats gettin up there

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

very long is right, shortgrass lover, 7600 yards, longest in open history. If one part of a players game is off at this course, it will be a high score, no doubt, considering the length, the rough, and speed of the greens.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

I've never played golf under that kind of pressure. That has to add a number of strokes to your score.

I'm just an eternal optimist about shooting under 114. Pressure does weird things to people, so until any of us experienced something like that under those playing conditions, my hat's off to him for the score - I guess.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I wish I could pick lotto numbers like I did, this. We'd all be on some beach, right now, playing 36 holes and having iced cold beers. Oh well.

I don't think any amount of preparation can get you ready for the "holy " factor: Television cameras, celebrities, fans, and a U.S. Open setup.

I'm looking forward to next Sunday's telecast. Should be interesting.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I don't think it was so much about the pressure at all.

People don't realize how pussified the average golf course is these days, especially private ones. Members complain about courses they can't score on. They complain when they can't reach a par 4 in 2 despite a shitty drive. I think it has created a greater divide between the pros and the average joe. The average golfer doesn't seem to enjoy a real challenge. They'd rather mark down a bogey on the scorecard then attempt that 5-footer which is far from "inside the leather."

I think Torrey Pines is the ultimate test in golf, and 114 is par for the course.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Had him at 112, pretty close to what he shot, but Romo . . . what a beast to shoot 84, maybe he's playing too much golf and not enough football? Anyway a tip of the hat to some really fine play, and Timberlake and Lauer, also got the job done. Goes to show a 6.5 is a lot better than a 10, and a 2.2 is a lot better than a 6.5, more than just the numbers indicate, the tough course brings out the difference.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

• Administrator
People don't realize how pussified the average golf course is these days, especially private ones. Members complain about courses they can't score on. They complain when they can't reach a par 4 in 2 despite a shitty drive.

That's not been my experience at all. My experience has been almost the opposite, in fact: members like tough courses. Maybe it's a PA thing - we have Oakmont here, after all...

Now let's get back on topic. I think, AC, if you wanted to start a separate thread on the above topic it'd get decent discussion.

Pressure, TV cameras, and, don't forget, cancer. He had a lot working against him. Depending on the current state of his health (which I haven't read anywhere yet) or if he's currently in a chemo cycle ... 114 could have been a heck of a score.

Romo's 84 has established a Mendoza-line for the pros. I wonder how many will shoot higher than the QB.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!