IGNORED

Titleist 909

Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw some similarities.
Cobra people are starting to work with Titleist, correct?

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
yeah i agree with with many of you. it does seem to look like a burner driver. seems to be a completely different look to what titleist usually come out with. who else is using it on tour?

I think it looks nothing like the Burner, and I also think that anyone who thinks that must be blind. The head shape is nowhere near the same, and the sole isn't even close to being the same. From the top, again the shape is nothing like the Burner.

Cobra people are starting to work with Titleist, correct?

Titleist and Cobra are both owned by Acushnet. Even still, I see very few similarities between the two soles.

If anything, the sole the 909s most resemble is - SHOCK! - the 907s. It's shiny and they extended the "wings" a little bit, but otherwise, it's not that different.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the little weight thingo at the back on the sole resembles a tm driver and the black stripes sort of also resemble a tm driver. something about the indentations look similiar. I think the silver finish on the sole looks more similiar to a burner than the 907d2. Many also think this on golfwrx etc. but everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is my opinion as you have yours iacas.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
the little weight thingo at the back on the sole resembles a tm driver

Titleist has had a weight plug in the bottom of their drivers for awhile now. Not so much in the 907 as I said before, but in previous drivers. It's got a bit more "flair" to it, this one, I'll give you that.

and the black stripes sort of also resemble a tm driver.

Are you looking at TM drivers, or just going from memory? The Burner is silver and red on the bottom - not black. The Tour Burner and r7 SuperQuad are black, but they look just as unlike the 909 sole as the Burner, both in shape and general design sole aesthetics.

something about the indentations look similiar.

Again, that's where I think if anything, it looks a bit more like a Cobra driver than anything else, but okay. The 907s have indentations, but they're tougher to see because the sole is matte or brushed.

I think the silver finish on the sole looks more similiar to a burner than the 907d2.

907 = brushed silver

909 = shiny silver Burner = brushed silver (but not quite as brushed as the 907?) Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I don't see it. I do think it's important to bear in mind that the overall shape of the drivers are not much like anything from TM (or Cleveland, or Callaway, or even Cobra). All we're talking about are sole graphics, and despite what they may "look like," they're still unique on their own - and the overall shape and design will continue to make this a driver that looks and performs differently than others.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

oh sure you're right, there's just something about it that makes me think of taylormade. i wonder if it will be successful. has anyone hit it at all besides pros? can anyone comment on how it hits, whether they've hit it themselves or heard something through 'the grapevine' ?

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

• Administrator
has anyone hit it at all besides pros? can anyone comment on how it hits, whether they've hit it themselves or heard something through 'the grapevine' ?

The club is in the "Tour fitting" stages. Titleist tour players have been hitting the driver for several months now, but privately. That's the "Tour validation" stage, and also the time during which the product might change a little and be tweaked.

Now that it's been "validated" and the specs and design are pretty much locked in, the pros will just get fitted and start putting the drivers in their bags. If you follow Titleist's typical planning, you can guess at a release date. I've heard that Titleist is having a "preview day" at the end of June. On a completely unrelated note, I won't be on the forum much from June 29-July 1. I'm flying out to California.

thanks for that.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

I smell a review coming soon...
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

The 909 first hit the USGA conforming list this week and this is the first public appearance of them.

I thin the top looks somewhat like the 907...they stuck with the black instead of the Gray from previous models.

I do think the bottom has a Cobra Speed Pro feel to it due to the shiny appearance instead of brushed aluminum. Also, it is slightly more rounded than the standard straight sharp lines of the 905 series.

I like it, but doubt it will replace my 905R. Unless, this hits the spin rates of the old 983 series and has the same forgiveness of the 905R. If they hit that combo, I may switch, but not for awhile. I don't hit a $500 driver any better than my $175 905R with a 757 Speeder.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

• Administrator
I smell a review coming soon...

Just FYI: The Sand Trap doesn't review products that aren't even available yet.

We try to publish reviews within about a month of their retail availability.

it's interesting to see that on getty images Scott is using one of the 909's in a practice round yet in the first round of the tournament it looks like he has the 905 in play.

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

• Administrator
it's interesting to see that on getty images Scott is using one of the 909's in a practice round yet in the first round of the tournament it looks like he has the 905 in play.

Seen his bag in rounds two and three?

Edit: The headcover, not what's beneath. He's not gonna switch mid-tournament.

My Bad no i haven't seen the actual bag

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

my buddy is a Titleist rep and said he used the 905R with the 909 headcover. I thought I saw him with the 909, but that was only in the practice rounds I guess.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

• Administrator
my buddy is a Titleist rep and said he used the 905R with the 909 headcover. I thought I saw him with the 909, but that was only in the practice rounds I guess.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. He has the "new" headcover.

He hit the 909 on the practice range and may have taken it along in his practice rounds. Will take a few more sessions, probably, before Adam gets his specs dialed in and trusts it as his gamer.

I think these look pretty sweet, will want to try them out. I will most likely stick with my D1, as I have been hitting that pretty well.

Side note, not sure where all the hate for the 907s stem from, I love my D1 and the few guys I know with the D2 really like theirs. I have not played a Titleist driver previously, so not sure how radical the departure was from the older models, but it seems like they have received about the same amount of criticism that the APs have received praise.

Classic 290 10.5 Miyazaki C. Kua 43 R

AMP 15 Aldila RIP F

Baffler Rail H 17 & 22 Fujikura Motore S

S2 Forged 5-GW Nippon NS Pro 900xh R

SM 54 & 58 Vokey Nippon 105T W

Studio Style Newport 1.5

• 3 weeks later...
Watching the ATT at Congressional today, and Peter Kostis did one of his slow-mo swing analysis things on the telestrator of Tom Pernice Jr's swing. You could clearly see him using a club that looked exactly like the photos of one of the Titleist 909s. Must be getting close to public release...

In the Titleist bag on the ClicGear 2.0:

PILOT: Titleist 910 D2 Axivore Tour Red

3 WOOD: Callaway 3-Deep 13*

Hybrid: TaylorMade RBZ 22*

IRONS 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32

WEDGES: Vokey TVD 54* SM5 58*K

PUTTER: Rife 2-Bar Blade

BALL: Penta 5

• Administrator
Watching the ATT at Congressional today, and Peter Kostis did one of his slow-mo swing analysis things on the telestrator of Tom Pernice Jr's swing. You could clearly see him using a club that looked exactly like the photos of one of the Titleist 909s. Must be getting close to public release...

Yeah, in October. I guess that's "close" by one definition or another.

Note: This thread is 3758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!