IGNORED

Anyone feel the same way after today?

TigerCurtis333
Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been an avid Tiger Woods fan all my life - I admit it, I'm apart of Tiger Nation. His energy, fist pump, etc. etc. etc. really got me into golf as a kid.

Today, I pulled for Tiger just like I always do. Fist pumping, yelling, quietly clapping when Tiger made the green and Rocco was in the sand.

But seeing what a GREAT guy Rocco is over the last 3 days, and watching his positive and class-act body language all day, and then hearing how Rocco's dream has always been to win this single tournament, and at 45 this is probably his last chance. He kept talking about how he can't believe he finally has a chance to win this, and that he might as well retire if he wins, and how thankful he is to be in this position. And finally the way he smiled after after shot.

Again - I rooted for Tiger all day, but the nanosecond after Tiger won this championship, all of a sudden I wished Rocco would have won it. I saw Rocco's expression, realized his dream had been lost, realized he knew he had a couple of chances to win this tournament and live his dream at the age of 45 and had come short - all of that hit me and I wished it was Rocco celebrating.

That's not to say I was mad that Tiger won his 14th - after all, I'm a fan - but Tiger will have 100 more chances than Rocco will, and all Rocco needed was this one win.

Anyway - did anyone feel this same emotion? I said all day "It's so hard to root against a guy like Rocco," but after Tiger's win I wished it was different. I'll never be upset when Tiger wins, but today was probably about as close as I can get to it. Anyone feel the same for Rocco?

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I had exactly the same feeling. Although I would be lying if I said I wanted Rocco to win it more than Tiger. Rocco is a true ambassador for the sport. I'd buy him a beer.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Rocco's had a great career and he's a great person. He's won almost $15M in his career. But, should journeyman players win majors? No. It weakens the game. It says that anyone who gets can put together a great week can win a major. Watching Todd Hamilton back into the Open Championship was miserable to watch. He's a great guy, too. But, he shouldn't be a major champion.

So, I'm glad Tiger won.

I was torn as to who to root for all day Sunday and most of today. And With 3 holes left in the 18 hole playoff today, I decided I wanted Rocco to win. For mostly the exact reasons you talk about. 45 years old, a history of back troubles, but mostly that awesome attitude, and how much was just enjoying the game. Man, he brought it. Not only did he bring it, he brought it to Tiger ****ing Woods. With class, and guts, and poise, and courage. Bravo, Rocco! Bravo.

If Francis Ouimet's 1913 victory was the "greatest game ever played" this is a close second. Or maybe a tie. It was the best damn golf tournament I've watched. That's for sure.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Rocco's had a great career and he's a great person. He's won almost $15M in his career. But, should journeyman players win majors? No. It weakens the game. It says that anyone who gets can put together a great week can win a major. Watching Todd Hamilton back into the Open Championship was miserable to watch. He's a great guy, too. But, he shouldn't be a major champion.

Your post used to say whoever got lucky, but you changed it.

I don't think you quite understand, that's what golf is. Whoever has the best week wins... As to whoever has the best series in hockey, baseball, basketball wins... And whoever has the better game in football wins...

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

But, should journeyman players win majors? No. It weakens the game. It says that anyone who gets can put together a great week can win a major.

Did you really just say that? Wow.

Man, whoever the hell brings the best game wins the major and that's how it is, and how it should be.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

Your post used to say whoever got lucky, but you changed it.

I originally wrote "lucky", but decided it was a poor choice of words. I often edit my posts.

I giggle a little bit when you say that I don't "quite understand." Hmmm, we're talking opinions, right. So, my "understanding" is going to be different than your "understanding". I totally agree with that for regular tournaments. But, if Rocco won, he might never win another event. I want proven champions to win. For example, if it were Monty, I would be pulling for him. He was one slightly chunked iron away from a US Open last year. But, as much as I like Rocco, I didn't want him to win a major.

I had the exact same feeling as well. I love how Rocco is so classy about everything, how he nods off the fact that he just birdied like It was no big deal (but not in a cocky way) He was a gentleman, a person who has respect for another player.

I wish he would have won it over Tiger as well.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Did you really just say that? Wow.

I agree, but I want someone that can continue to perform. So, given the choice of a $15M "journeyman" and the greatest player in the world, well I'm going with the proven champion. Just the way I feel.

I had the exact same feeling as well. I love how Rocco is so classy about everything, how he nods off the fact that he just birdied like It was no big deal (but not in a cocky way) He was a gentleman, a person who has respect for another player.

That was the other thing I forgot. He nods it off and shrugs things off, but it's not in that cocky way. I don't know what it is but he comes off as a guy who just enjoys golf.

Never rooted for him today, but after it was almost wished he had won it.

In my bag:
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

Watching Todd Hamilton back into the Open Championship was miserable to watch.

Winning a playoff over Ernie Els at the height of his game (2004, when he had 5 victories around the world and finish in the top 9 of all 4 majors) isn't exactly backing into the Open. Perhaps you're thinking of 2003 Open champion Ben Curtis, who finished steadily as the field collapsed around him.

As for the OP's remarks, I completely agree. I was pulling for Tiger all day, was so scared that he was going to lose... but when it finally ended, I felt bad that Rocco's chance had slipped away. Usually when Tiger goes head-to-head with a tough opponent (Bob May, Chris DiMarco, etc.), I'm happy when Tiger pulls it out and reaffirms his greatness. Nothing against those guys - I like them both - but Rocco really made a personal connection with a lot of fans, including me. I felt the same way when Paul Goydos lost the Players earlier this year: an aging journeyman golfer, giving it one last shot at a larger title than he's ever sniffed, and falling agonizingly short. Even more so than with Goydos, however, my heart goes out to Rocco. After all, Goydos certainly hasn't aspired to win the Players his whole career. Rocco's always treasured the US Open above any other tournament. I wish Tiger had made that birdie putt on the sudden-death hole; it stinks that such a great championship ended with a bogey. As for Rocco, I wish him the best, and hopes he picks off a couple more PGA Tour titles. Obviously, pulling a Payne Stewart next year at Bethpage would be unbelievable, but the odds are not in his favor. He missed his best shot. Brandel Chamblee made a comment earlier today that, although Rocco's on a high now, disappointment will slowly set in. Earlier today, I posted Chamblee's remarks, slightly offended. Now, however, I realize he may be right: I truly hope this is not the last we see of Rocco Mediate. He gave it his all, and I don't want his career to end on this note. Go Rocco! You're a little guy with a lot of heart. Edit: I'm also sad Rocco pulled out of the Travelers (which is located 20 minutes from my house). I certainly understand why he did and don't fault him for it, but I would have loved to see him play. The galleries would have loved him, too.

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

The one thing that I can take away from today, from both players and hope to incorporate into my game is to remain calm and stay focused.

I would have given anything for what was running through both those guys minds, today.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I love watching Tiger play. I love what he's done for the game. He certainly is my favorite golfer. But I ALWAYS ROOT AGAINST HIM!! I think that's why I like Tiger so much. No matter what/who he comes up against, 99 times out of 100 he fights off whatever is thrown at him and he wins.

I was def. rooting for Rocco. If anyone this week had a chance against Tiger, it was someone like Rocco with absolutely nothing to lose. He's carefree, fun to watch, and has great charisma and energy on the course. He was great to watch.

I've been an avid Tiger Woods fan all my life - I admit it, I'm apart of Tiger Nation. His energy, fist pump, etc. etc. etc. really got me into golf as a kid.

I was thinking the exact same thing.I wanted Tiger to win but I felt so bad after hearing Rocco's interview after the tourny.Tiger now has 14 but if he ended the day with 13 and Rocco had his first I would have been very happy for Rocco.I hope he gets another chance for a major.I am a new fan of his

Rocco's had a great career and he's a great person. He's won almost $15M in his career.

Isnt that the idea of "The Open" ... anyone that can qualify has the chance... thats what makes this tournament so special to alot of people. Just ask Bobby Collins.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I was thinking the exact same thing.I wanted Tiger to win but I felt so bad after hearing Rocco's interview after the tourny.Tiger now has 14 but if he ended the day with 13 and Rocco had his first I would have been very happy for Rocco.I hope he gets another chance for a major.I am a new fan of his

Ditto buddy. I kept thinking the same way. Rocco will at best have 5 chances at winning this tournament again. If he (or Ben Curtis) has to take away a Tiger major to get it - fine, I can live with that.

As for a Championship - I gotta admit I don't like how in what seems like every major, it's always one known player and two guys who no one has ever heard of. I kinda wish it always came down to guys like Tiger, Phil, Els, Scott etc. in the Majors - but it's whoever shows up and plays the best golf for four rounds. That's who wins it, and that's who deserves it. I'd like to see more Blockbuster finishes, but if not - fine.

In my bag:

I think when Rocco looks back on this he will have few regrets over 90 holes of golf he held argueably the greatest player of all time to a draw not bad for a 45 year old. He did not leave anything out there, at 3 down he was a good as dead but staged a magnificent fight back . When it looked like he would take another shot off Tiger only to see Tiger hit possibly the finest 5 iron bunker shot of all time inside his ball did he crumble , no he sank a 15 foot downhill breaker .....pure class. All of this he did with a smile and a laugh that man has more to be proud about this morning than if he won or lost that playoff and he has something that winning would not have given him and thats an immense character.

I would like to leave my american cousins with a thought did Tiger play in a manner that was consistent with the finest traditions of the game and a great champion ? or was his ponderously slow play , constant club changing and wind checking gamesmanship ?

But, should journeyman players win majors? No. It weakens the game.

Have to take a bit of issue about the 'journeyman' tag. Read up on his career and you realise he's been desperately unlucky with his career. 5 TOUR wins, 4 'others', has been ranked in the world's top 20 - that's not journeyman. he's had dreadful back problems, which got in the way of further success. These last 2 years aren't the only time he's had layoffs - much of the 90s was lost to back trouble, including a ruptured disc. Three years, 93-96 - not actually out but he needed a med exemption to play in 96; he had a back operation in 99 and returned to full-time golf only in 04. He was one of the first to use a broomhandle putter, in an attempt to reduce the strain.

That isn't a journeyman - that's someone who just doesn't know he's beaten and keeps dragging himself back up off the floor.

Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!