IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a 19.1, but I was a beginner (shot b/t 110-120) using SGI then switched to just GI (MX200). I have way more confidence with my current irons because the SGI irons felt like I was swinging a brick. I had no precision, and I am just getting better in general so it isn't all the clubs. I haven't played in probably 2 months, but my swing is way better than it was two months ago I just need to tighten up my short game and I know I will start shooting a lot lower scores. I plan on having my current irons for a long time, I love them.

Driver: Cleveland Launcher, 9.5°
Hybrid: Pinemeadow Bloc 24°
Irons: Mizuno MX-200, 4-GW
SW: Cleveland CG14, 56°, 2 dot
LW: Pinemeadow Wedge, 60°Putter: Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth, 35"Ball: Callaway HX Hot Bite

The misses are much more

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Could you clarify please?

LW: Pinemeadow Wedge, 60°Putter: Odyssey White Hot Sabertooth, 35"Ball: Callaway HX Hot Bite

Not quite sure what you are trying to say here. Could you clarify please?

I think he's trying to say par-able. I've found that with my J36s, I'm in a much better position for birdie ops on good shots, and looking bogie on any mishits.

With my TA6s, it's pretty much just par all the way around...Just how difficult I make it for myself. More clearly, leaving myself with an easy two putt vs. an up and down situation with the TA6s, versus a wedge and two putt out versus a makable one-putt with the J36

OH! I get it. I am slow in the mornings. I read it like five times trying to figure it out. Thanks.

I hit some balls with an old set of blades about a month ago, and to be honest I think playing with them would cost me about 12-15 strokes per 18 holes, if not more. Ain't technology grand?!

That is what I meant. I found that misses with my old irons were so bad. Even on a slight mishit I was coming 20 yards short. A slight misshit with what I have now is on the front of the green. Obviously terrible shots are terrible with either club.

I don't know if I agree with others saying they hit a less forgiving iron closer on great shots. I have hit some amazing shots with both my old irons MP60s and my current irons, and the irons before (Cleveland TA5s). I actually had a round where I put 5 approach shots within 5 feet right after I made the change in late september. I wish I would have never bought the MP 60s. IMO you have to be a very good player to get rewarded for playing such an unforgiving iron. If you are a 6 or higher, the negitives are going to outway the positives. The only miss that you will get away with is thin. Toe is horrid and so is the heel. My index went up 3 points this season and it was the only season I had the Mizunos. It was the first time ever it went up since I started playing.

Brian

• Administrator
I don't know if I agree with others saying they hit a less forgiving iron closer on great shots.

I agree with them. The less forgiving the club, the more consistently it behaves and the easier it is to truly dial in a shot.

Plus, in robot testing, well, here :
Back to the research. I was looking at a chart of shot patterns of different irons we were testing, and was particularly struck by something I saw.

Emphasis mine, but there you go: robot testing that directly refutes what you believe.

My index went up 3 points this season and it was the only season I had the Mizunos. It was the first time ever it went up since I started playing.

Maybe it's because you were trying to maintain your spine angle?!

Ha! Just teasin' ya...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Plus, in robot testing, well,

I've seen that link a few times before. The author is a proponent of blades.

You missed some text in the middle: "Then I looked at the chart for the new Apex blade we were developing. On heel misses, it was slightly worse than the cavity back models. On toe misses, the Apex was significantly worse ( blades have very little mass out on the toe )." The author comparing Hogan Apex blades to their cavity back models. He finishes with: "So, I made a permanent switch back to blade irons, my reasoning being that I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones. I've kept that philosophy consistent. It's a common belief that mid- to high-handicap players need all the help they can get, and maybe that's true, but I firmly believe that more golfers can play blades than you might think - maybe even you !" Emphasis added by author.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I was wrong. O well. It seems bizzare but wierder things are true.

How would you classify AP2s? I wouldn't classify them as blades and I would like to see how they would do in the same test. There is surely alot more meat to them than the 710MBs or many mizuno irons. What irons were compared? Is it SGI versus blades? I have a hard time believing that my current irons (short irons, the 3,4,5 are huge) are less accurate than my past irons by a noticable amount on perfect shots.

I still stand by my statement that almost all players with a HCI of 7 or greater is getting punished if they are playing a true players iron. Even at that level you are mishitting most of your irons, not by much, but a bit. And when those misses put you in really tough spots, confidence leaves, scores are higher. Golf is a game of confidence.

I lost my confidence with my old irons and they had to go. I don't blame my HCI all on my irons. I am sure it was a multitude of things. But I am sure it didn't help. When I bought them I thought, "these will really make me a better player" All they did was make me a less consistant player. My belief is many players play irons like my old ones out ego and not what helps them the most.

Brian

I had a set of MP 57's, I shot my lowest round ever with them... I also shot my worst rounds with them as well....

If you weren't "on" at all times, you were gonna be punished. I said I would live with the punishment to be able to get better, but when youve got 20 -30 yards to get up and down for par, 14 out of 18 holes, well I just couldnt take the pain anymore.....

So yes, 4-5 strokes is about right, more somedays and less others. I think anyone not single digits should be playing gi or sgi irons. I ate some humble pie and bought G10's.

I absolutely love them, I love having the confidence that if I dont hit this perfect, I'll still be on the green somewhere, or damn close.

As far as the great shots being much better with forged blade type irons, that is absolutely true. I never knew what knocking down flagsticks meant, till I got those forged irons.

But still, that doesnt outweigh the forgivability factor (or lack there of)

Just my .02

Jim

In my Ogio Blade Stand Bag:

TaylorMade Burner 10.5*

Adams Insight BUL 15*
Taylormade RBZ 3H

TaylorMade RBZ 4-AW

Vokey SM4 54-11

Cleveland CG14 58 2 dot wedge

Ping Karsten Series Craz-E putter

Top Flite Gamer

i shot 4 strokes better playing mp 32 than my sgi mx 25's

driver. taylormade tour burner tp ust avixcore tour green 75 x
3 wood 909 f3 13* voodo xnv8
3 hybrid adams idea pro vs proto 95x
irons 3 no 4 5-pw nike cci forged blades
gap wedge nike sv tour blacksand wedge cg14 56* 14flopadopolous vokey spin milled 64 7putter scotty cameron classics newport...

I read the article. I don't need to know what kind of clubs were tested. It seemed really dated. Do you think newer CBs would perform better?

Probably.

Do you think new blades would perform better?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator
You missed some text in the middle:

I didn't miss it. We weren't talking about mis-hits.

How would you classify AP2s?

I'd classify them as more cavity backs and clubs I likely won't be using in 2010. I'm going more with the MP-67s or the TM RAC MB TP Smokes or something.

But the new AP2s are pretty nice.
I still stand by my statement that almost all players with a HCI of 7 or greater is getting punished if they are playing a true players iron.

Nah, you can't say that because you're making a judgment on their behalf. Maybe they're working to improve. Maybe they'd rather feel butter-sweet contact four times per round than a bland contact feel 28 times per round.

I had blades when I first started the game, and I'm glad. My friend Dan plays better golf with Blades because he puts better, smoother swings on the ball. In general what you say might be true, but why not just speak for yourself and leave it at that? This thread's getting merged into the other one, too.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

After reading up on this thread, I think I will get my old Spalding Elite blades regripped. I currently am in the process of relearning the game using Ping Eye 2+s, so a head to head comparison might be in order. My crappy swing using blades and cavity backs. It should help me decide whether to buy new Mizuno blades or Ping Cavity backs next year.

I like the idea of challenging myself to play better so this might be fun and a path to a lower HCI. Either way I will buy new clubs next year and this gives me a plan to decide which route to take.

It ain't bragging if you can do it.

Taylor Made Burner '09 8.5* UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno F-60 3 wood UST Pro Force V2, Mizuno MP-68 3-PW  S300, Bobby Jones Wedges S and L, Nike Ignite 001, Leupold GX-II

I'd classify them as more cavity backs and clubs I likely won't be using in 2010. I'm going more with the MP-67s or the TM RAC MB TP Smokes or something.

Are the MP-67's and the TM's comparable/similar in feel? I have not hit the TaylorMades, but I love the 67's, and the 68's are suppose to be even better!

Why are you looking at the 67's opposed to the 68's? Whats your take on the TM's?

9.5º TaylorMade R9 TP VooDoo XNV6 | TaylorMade R9 TP 13º 3W & 19º 5W Both with Fujikura Motore F1 85 | Mizuno MP-57 DG X-100 (3-PW) | Titleist Vokey 52º, 56º, 60º | 34'' Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 | The Cardinal Club [73.9/135]

• Administrator
Are the MP-67's and the TM's comparable/similar in feel?

More so than either of those compared to the AP2.

Why are you looking at the 67's opposed to the 68's?

Ownership. I own the 67s. Still brand new.

Whats your take on the TM's?

http://thesandtrap.com/clubs/taylorm...p_irons_review

Note: This thread is 1433 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!