IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

From a couple of posts I disagree. I wouldnt go to the Mp 67 or 32 until your down to about a 3 or 2... I got the Mp 60's and they are the hybrid between Blade and Cavity back. I was in the same situation and I dont regret them one bit. These are the best irons I have ever hit. And Mizuno has the best fordging process period.

Ditto. Mizuno has the best feel due to its grain flow forging method. Feels like there's a soft cushion on every club face.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

you shoot par most of the time, but you are not confident to take your irons to a tournament? I don't get the fear of blades...man, science with the iron robot hitters has proven the difference between a cavity and blade is so minuscule, a lot of posters act like cavity will give them a 5 yard better accuracy ..which by the way is not true is. Its called marketing..

now for less skilled players the sweet spot and general mass on the face is larger but come on...a scratch golfer not confident to hit blades? I have won at least 4 tourneys with blades...dont let it get in your head man....its just golf!

I bought my set of MP-67 3 months after i started golfing, with the only intention to learn to strike the ball very well. My iron play is the weakest part of my game by a big margin so far. So i thought about switching irons for a long time after all the frustration i have been through. After getting a little bit more insight into my problems and swing i´m convinced that my problems cant be cured by different irons but changes in the swing. As much as i can think about it for myself - if i hit fatsies or thin shots, come over the top or hit sockets - Cavitys or game improvement irons wont help me much there. So why not go with max. feedback on those shots to get the problems worked out. And since i hit my irons pretty constantly in the same small area of the clubhead, why would i need to have a bigger sweetspot (all over the face)?

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

you shoot par most of the time, but you are not confident to take your irons to a tournament? I don't get the fear of blades...man, science with the iron robot hitters has proven the difference between a cavity and blade is so minuscule, a lot of posters act like cavity will give them a 5 yard better accuracy ..which by the way is not true is. Its called marketing..

The more tournaments i get under my belt, I'll build up more confidence. Just got to keep remembering Fred Couples words. "just have fun, play relax, it's just golf" thanks for the reminder

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Just played another round using blades for irons(690 mb's) made shots that I never coud have dreamed of with my old cavity backs. I hit over tall trees that I would never be able to clear with my old irons. Hit an 8 iron 150 yards over a bunch of tall trees protecting the green and made a easy 2 put par. I am a mere 10 handicapp but these are easier then the cavity back junk that everyone promotes.

if more and more of the pga tour is moving from MB blades to some form of a cavity back iron, if even they need a bit of forgiveness, i would think most of us need it aswell.

If you are comfortable hitting MB irons, all the power to you

WITB:
983k 9.5 - Aldila NV65
Apex Hybrid
755 - Project X flighted - 4-PW
Vokey 200 Series - 52 Vokey SM - 56,60 Rossa Mezza Monza

definitely has to be blades. I would say 95% of all tour pros use blades, because of the variety of shots you can hit with them. Now none of us are at that level but why not use what they do?
Cavity backs are easier to hit yes, but you just cant get the same feeling as hitting a blade.

• Administrator
definitely has to be blades. I would say 95% of all tour pros use blades, because of the variety of shots you can hit with them. Now none of us are at that level but why not use what they do?

It's nowhere near 95%. More like 75%, tops.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It's nowhere near 95%. More like 75%, tops.

I thought only 25% of tour pros use blades, no?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Instead of mixing your set, try the 735.cm or another progressive set,.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

lets look at it this way, tiger nike blades, phil xblades, furyk srixon blades, Scott blades, vijay blades, luke blades, stricker blades, garcia blades. Can you argue against that???

out of those players, only Tiger, Furyk, Scott, Vijay and Garcia use MB blades, Stricker uses 755, a cavity back iron.

WITB:
983k 9.5 - Aldila NV65
Apex Hybrid
755 - Project X flighted - 4-PW
Vokey 200 Series - 52 Vokey SM - 56,60 Rossa Mezza Monza

I used to play a set of Lynx irons dont even know what model (they are pretty old and I got them from my dad). I switched to Cleveland CG1's last year and yeah I could probably benefit more from a cavity back iron but to be honest I love the way the clevelands feel. Im not the greatest player but I think I hit my irons fairly well and consistent. I actually just picked up a 2 iron for my set and I had a bit of a problem with pushing it at first but after a couple weeks its my go to club off the tee on short par 4's. This weekend it really helped me stay in the fairway. But anyways I like the response i get from blades as well, I know if I've mishit a ball and where on the blade I made contact.

----------------------------
In the Grom:

Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana XS
3 Wood: Bubble Burner (needs to be replaced immediately)7 Wood: Steelhead IIIIrons: CG1 Black Pearls 2-PWWedges: 650 - 56 degree; 60 degree Putter: White Hot XG9 33"Ball: ProV1

I used to play a set of Lynx irons dont even know what model (they are pretty old and I got them from my dad). I switched to Cleveland CG1's last year and yeah I could probably benefit more from a cavity back iron but to be honest I love the way the clevelands feel. Im not the greatest player but I think I hit my irons fairly well and consistent. I actually just picked up a 2 iron for my set and I had a bit of a problem with pushing it at first but after a couple weeks its my go to club off the tee on short par 4's. This weekend it really helped me stay in the fairway. But anyways I like the response i get from blades as well, I know if I've mishit a ball and where on the blade I made contact.

They still make 2 irons?

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

I had a set of Nike blades that were given to me by a friend. I must be honest I wasn't too hopeful of hitting them given my high handicap. However, I found them to be quite playable. I've since replaced them with a set of Taylormade r7 irons which aren't drastically more forgiving but appear to be quite a bit longer.

One thing I miss about the Nike clubs is the great clean look particularly when addressing the ball.

Taylormade r7 460
Callaway X 3 Wood
Callaway X 5 Wood
Callaway X 7 Wood
Callaway X Hybrid (24*)TaylorMade r7 Irons (5-PW)Mizuno MP-R Series Wedges (52,58 degrees)Ping G2 Anser Putter

They still make 2 irons?

hahahaha. Yeah I had to order it from cleveland, but it has really helped me when I need to keep it in the fairway and Im not feeling confident in my driver.

----------------------------
In the Grom:

Driver: Sasquatch 9.5 Mitsubishi Diamana XS
3 Wood: Bubble Burner (needs to be replaced immediately)7 Wood: Steelhead IIIIrons: CG1 Black Pearls 2-PWWedges: 650 - 56 degree; 60 degree Putter: White Hot XG9 33"Ball: ProV1

wat bout phil and luke???

Phil use cavity backs, he use the callaway x-tour if im not wrong. Luke he use MB blades, he use the Mizuno MP-32. I learn to play golf with a ben hogan blades when I was like 14 I use them for 4 yars they got rusty and ugly. My grandpa stop playing golf because he got old and he gift me his set of club. This set of eye2+. Well I really miss the fealling of a blade but I cant go back to the hogan blades because they are to rusty. Im planing to buy a new set of blades. I like mizuno's blades.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!