IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I guess you don't go to any of the NYC munis then...Last year in 100+ degree heat I wore cargo shorts and a cut-off tank top. Noone said a word :)

I do play the NYC munis, and notice that, and laugh and just tell myself that I'm playing street golf and roll with it.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to get out more.

I think you're the one who needs to get out more.

Most private clubs do not allow cargo shorts. I am sure some do, but don't be surprised if you show up at a private course in cargos and the starter makes you go buy a new pair of shorts or pants in the pro shop. I've seen it happen.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Plus id rather be spending my money on clubs and other stuff rather than clothes just to impress some old snobs.

Are cargo shorts cheap or something?

What's in the bag

i usually wear a white and blue polo shirt with tan cargo shorts i dont see a problem with it and im on a private country club where most of the older guys do the same...... i dont see how you guys do it in the summer its too damn hot

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Most private clubs do not allow cargo shorts.

You have no clue what you are talking about. I have never had anyone say anything to me as long as I was wearing an appropriate shirt.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

and the starter makes you go buy a new pair of shorts or pants in the pro shop. I've seen it happen.

No you haven't and quit lying. Cargo shorts are in the grey area as they are technically khaki shorts. All they have is two extra pockets. Quit making up stories.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

When I go golfing I'm not out there to impress anybody. If its a tournemant I will dress a little nicer than usual. Otherwise I go with what feels compfortable. I'm out there to relax and have a good time. Not feel like I'm going to a job interview. Its not the old days were everyone who golfed was rich and could afford "the correct attire". I don't see anything wrong with cargo shorts or a nice pair of jeans. Its not going to help you shoot any better just cuz you look like a pro. if anything I think you golf better when your comfortable.

Driver- launcher 460 9.5
Irons- 7a knock offs
putter- Scotty cameron futura
ball- Prov 1x

I think you're the one who needs to get out more.

Maybe...

I've walked around Pebble in shorts - not golfing but literally walking around and no one said boo to me. I don't judge people on their clothes - I have eaten lunch with people on the Forbes 400 list - he was wearing jeans. Some people like to think that golf is somehow above the average Joe of society because of the high dollar entry fees to a country club - if they measure that by khakis and polo shirts and it makes them feel better about themselves, well I feel sorry that they haven't anything truely meaningful in their life to hold onto. Some golfers are trying to cultivate the image based on the expense of the clubs or clothes - hate to break it to them, there are many sports out there where golf is very inexpensive compared to. (Sporting clays for one, $18,000 shotgun is nice but hardly upper echelon)

Andrew

Some people like to think that golf is somehow above the average Joe of society because of the high dollar entry fees to a country club - if they measure that by khakis and polo shirts and it makes them feel better about themselves, well I feel sorry that they haven't anything truely meaningful in their life to hold onto. Some golfers are trying to cultivate the image based on the expense of the clubs or clothes - hate to break it to them, there are many sports out there where golf is very inexpensive compared to. (Sporting clays for one, $18,000 shotgun is nice but hardly upper echelon)

Its not as if polo shirts and khakis are expensive. You could buy a polo shirt and a pair of khaki pants at any department store for under $50. You dont have to go out and spend big money on name brand clothes just to look halfway respectable.

Its not so much a matter of trying to look rich, its a matter of looking respectable. You wouldnt wear cargo shorts if you were going out to a fancy restaurant. IMO, a golf course is the same kind of place. To each their own though. I do agree with you that golf is a pretty inexpensive sport. Ive been away from golf for the past 8 years and during that time my hobbies consisted of snowmobiling during the winter and racing motocross during the summer. Compared to this 2 hobbies, golf is cheap!

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm in favor of g-string women golf tournaments....

Thats probably the only way youd get people to watch the LPGA...

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Its not as if polo shirts and khakis are expensive. You could buy a polo shirt and a pair of khaki pants at any department store for under $50. You dont have to go out and spend big money on name brand clothes just to look halfway respectable.

First, a golf course is nothing remotely like a classy restaurant. It's a place to play a game, not take a date out for a night on the town. You pick up mud, burrs, get all sweaty.... sheesh.... we ought to be wearing gym clothes.

IMO, the only reason for clothing taboos in golf in the first place is because of it's elitist history. When it started to become popular with the middle classes, and God forbid, the working class, the country club set had to find a way to stay above the rest of us ordinary Joes They invented the dress codes to keep out the riff-raff. Quite frankly, I don't want to associate with such snobs any more than they want to be around me. Any course that won't let me play in my $60 Greg Norman shirt and $40 cargo shorts from Travel Smith can kiss my ........ figure it out. Tell me what's wrong with these???? Travel Smith shorts

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

cargo shorts and dri fit shirts for me. Tucked in at the start with a belt.

Jean Shorts are a no-no, you look like a geek. You can buy cargo shorts for the same price.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Tell me what's wrong with these???? Travel Smith shorts

Nothing. Those look like perfectly good golf shorts.

Here is what I wore on sunday along with a nike mock shirt GASP!!! Ruehl Cargo Shorts

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

First, a golf course is nothing remotely like a classy restaurant. It's a place to play a game, not take a date out for a night on the town. You pick up mud, burrs, get all sweaty.... sheesh.... we ought to be wearing gym clothes.

I understand and respect your opinion. I still stand by my original claim that a golf course is a somewhat ritzy place and that you should try to look at least halfway respectable. To me, shorts just dont have a place on a golf course. Its just not what I would consider to be acceptable dress.

By no means am I what you would call an, "eliteist" or part of the, "country club set". I work in a factory and I drive a Ford F-150. Is that working-class enough for ya? However, I feel that the golf crowd is more upscale and that you should be expected to look respectable when you are on a golf course. Obviously we have different opinions on this topic. No need to get all defensive.
Tell me what's wrong with these???? Travel Smith shorts

Nothing, other than the fact that they are cargo shorts...

Nothing. Those look like perfectly good golf shorts.

Sorry but those are atrocious. They would make anyone who wore them look like a slob, and I can actually see an upscale course denying playing privileges to someone wearing them. If those are what most people see as cargo shorts then maybe they have a point. I don't care what style one wears, but it should at least be neat and clean, not something that looks like it was stuffed in the bottom of a duffel bag for 10 years. (but I feel that way about simply running out for groceries too... nobody needs to deliberately try to look like a slob) I work and play much of my golf at a muni (sort of), and those would even look out of place on that course. You wouldn't be barred from playing.... but you might have to deal with a bit of snickering...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing, other than the fact that they are cargo shorts...

and the elastic waistband.

I think cargos are perfectly fine.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Note: This thread is 5804 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!