IGNORED

What ball has surprised you in a good way?

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Getting back into golf has me looking around at all types of new stuff.

There have been some serious changes since I layed off the game....most notably is the widespread use of hybrids.

Some of the balls I liked before aren't on the market....some are.

I tried a sleeve of NXT Tour balls not long ago. I pulled them out mid round after getting started up with another type of ball that was giving me good results.

The NXT Tour surprised me with a slightly higher trajectory and excellent performance in the wind. It held up perfectly distance wise even in the wind. Full iron shots stopped with zip....generally on going a yard or so upon impact.

I noted improved distance off my irons...easily a half to full club better than normal.

I think that once my current ball supply is gone that I'll convert to the NXT Tour ball.

I have been pleasantly surprised with these balls....just wondered if there are others out there that have impressed you likewise.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Titleist PTS Roll - they have them at my local driving range/academy. Nice feel for a second grade golf ball - might stock up for the winter.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

I am going to agree about the NXT Tour. I was surprised, to say the least!! Before that I played ProV1s. They are still a great ball, but for me I thought the Pro V1's spun too much. Around the greens, the ProV1s are the best, but with the soft green courses I play, I dont need the extra spin. I still have two sleeves of Pro V1's in the bag just in case I play a course with hard greens and I need the spin.

As far as distance, I do not notice a difference at all.

For 30 a dozen, they are a good value.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I was playing yesterday with pinnacles and NXT tours. I used about 4 pinnacles on the front due to lost balls. Used 1 NXT tour on the back and i dropped 4 strokes(it was a 9 hole course we played 18 on). NXT Tour is going to be my new ball as well.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

NXT Tours.
I actually get them for free.
They're really great for the price.
I really don't think you can beat the V1's, though.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

I lose a LOT of golf balls...but I've had the same Nike Super Far golf ball for 6 rounds and counting. Can't lose it . . . I love it.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

without a doubt 100%, Taylormade TP Red. I lost a ball the other day off of the tee, It was a par 4, 405. I'm usually around the 130 - 140 away for a consistent drive in the 260's... My friend threw me a TP Red (without LDP) I suppose the new ones are supposed to be better.. but anyway,
I was about 95 away after the drive. I was impressed with the feel of the ball. you could feel it compress off of the tee!

Approach shot was a sand wedge that hit about 8 feet beyond the pin and you saw that sucker spin back a good 3 feet (I hardly ever get the ball to spin back.. maybe b/c i really don't know how to hit it to spin back).
2nd hole with the ball was a short par 3.
154 with a little wind. I normally play a light 7 iron b/c my hard 8 will fall short or barely get to the green. I decided to go after it with my 8. The shot landed pin high.

3rd hole, 458 dog left left uphill. I played a draw off the tee and you saw the ball land and then just start running up the hill left. I got to the ball and was left with 170.

i ended up losing my friend on the 18th hole when i played my 2nd shot, flew the green and it went to water....but my friend i named Tee Pee that afternoon made me go out and buy a box of TP Reds that night.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

well, since everyone and their mother uses titleist balls i decided i need to try something else out.

I ended up falling in love with the Bridgestone e6.
R7 Superquad 10.5* REAX regular flex shaft
FT 5 wood
675XC forged irons 3-PW, True Temper DG SL stiff(S300) shafts
55* BeCu sandwedge
e6+ balls or ProV1
Cougar X-cat putter (odyssey 2-ball rip-off)

Yep, NXT Tour.
The Wilson rep was at my local shop the other day and gave me a sample 2 pack of the 50/50. They really suprised me for a lower priced ball, like $17 a doz. Well worth trying out. Feel really nice.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Urethane Covers:
Bridgestone B330
Taylor Made TP Black

Less Expensive Balls:
Bridgestone E6

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I love testing golf balls and usually lose so many that I get to test new ones every two weeks. (I play once a week and lose about 6 balls per round...yes I suck)

So far my favorites are (in order of best to worst)

NXT Tour - Best by far
Noodle - long
Top Flite Gamer - really love this ball, but the cover gets chewed up too fast.
Nike PD Soft - little too soft has a great feel, but distance suffers.

Next on my list to try...

TP Red/Black
Bridgeston e6
Hot Bites

Bridgestone B330-S. It's my favorite golf ball. You can spin it a lot on pitch shots and I have more control with it on my wedges. I compared it to playing a "Maxfli Black Max" (yeah, realy fair comparison, eh?) and I could stop it much quicker with the B330-S. It spins a lot but doesn't get blown around in the wind, and it has pretty nice distance. Not the LONGEST ball out there for sure, but the distance is VERY GOOD for a ball that spins as much as it does.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Klean,

If you're trying the TP Red/Black, then don't go with the Bridgestone E6 as the comparison. The Bridgestone E6 is not a Urethane cover, the E6 is more like the NXT than the Pro V or the TP series. The Bridgestone B330 and Bridgestone B330-S are the Bridgestone balls that compare to the TP series and the Pro V's.

However, I do like the E6 better than the NXT. The cover is one that I find preferable. Just a personal preference.

CG031, I have been amazed with the spin on the Bridgestone. Most Urethane covered balls get good spin, but something about my style shot and the way it catches the Bridgestone has provided me with a lot of spin. My only complaint is durability, the grooves in my low irons and wedges can scuff the cover on solid shots. But if your biggest complaint is groove marks on the ball, that's not much to worry about. (No, I'm not talking about smiley faces from skulled shots, I'm talking about a series of grooves from the face of the club)

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

HX Tour 56. Never thought I would play a Callaway ball until I play this. It has fantastic feel off the tee and the irons, and I can suck this ball backwards about 10 ft with a 9i (provided, there was a backstop :P).
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

The Pro VI suprised me in a good way. Now I already new that these were great balls but not from experience. I have always heard how great they are and I tried to resist the temptation of playing them because I figured that another company could make a ball that performed the same way. I think there are balls that come close but I have never played a ball that completely made me say "WOW!"

I played my first round with a Pro V1 a couple days ago. I had my 3rd shot to a par 5 80 yards out. I hit my lob wedge but didnt catch the ball flush, but rather a little thin. The pro v1 came into the green HOT and i figured it was going to bounce over the green and into the woods behind the green. Nope the ball hit the green and stopped immediately and backed up a foot. I couldnt believe it. I will never doubt the power of the pro v1 again!
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

wisco,

what ball were you using before?

have you tried the other urethane balls, like the taylor made tps, the bridgestone b-330, the callaway or the srixon?

What's in the bag

wisco,

I played the e5 & e6 alot last year. This year I have been playing the Callaway Hotbite. I like the hot bite but I dont think they are worth 30 bucks.

I have not tried the taylor made balls yet but I want to try the red.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!