IGNORED

The One- and Two-Plane Golf Swings, by Jim Hardy

iacas
Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Read Hardy's book as a beginner golfer and he has some interesting ideas. Some critiques about the book and theory is one swing plane seems easier in theory and learn however I cant my hands high enough to create a width in my swing.

The one vs two plane swing theory is too polarizing in thinking, I don't fit either. 

There is a lot of variation in the takeaway and transitions in many golfers to suggest there is not always a 2nd plane.

One plane swing seems to make sense to me.....maybe there is more than one type of single plane??

I think the golf swing always has one plane it's either just flatter or more upright. I remember watching the tv infomercial a while back and it always confused how they said one plane or 2. Greg Norman had an in between swing plane while Adam Scott definitely more upright. Ben Hogan was the classic flat swinger and it obviously worked for him.  I can't say one is better then the other generally speaking though you don't want a backswing that's to upright or to flat.

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I think the golf swing always has one plane it's either just flatter or more upright. I remember watching the tv infomercial a while back and it always confused how they said one plane or 2. Greg Norman had an in between swing plane while Adam Scott definitely more upright. Ben Hogan was the classic flat swinger and it obviously worked for him.  I can't say one is better then the other generally speaking though you don't want a backswing that's to upright or to flat.

That's not how Jim Hardy defined his "one" and "two-plane" swings. He defined the one-plane swing, IIRC, as the left arm matching the shoulder plane, and the two-plane swing as the left arm above the shoulder plane.

If you're going to comment please at least take the time to know what you're commenting on.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's not how Jim Hardy defined his "one" and "two-plane" swings. He defined the one-plane swing, IIRC, as the left arm matching the shoulder plane, and the two-plane swing as the left arm above the shoulder plane.

If you're going to comment please at least take the time to know what you're commenting on.

So this topic you wanted the reader to repeat Jim hardys swing plane theory in a exact description and that'st it? I thought you wanted people to share their opinions on the subject right? my bad what a boring topic then I guess you answered your own question for the topic then why have responses.. Iv'e seen the infomercial before I kinda got it,but it seems a little over dimensional I see an in between plane with the two.

''He defined the one-plane swing, IIRC, as the left arm matching the shoulder plane, and the two-plane swing as the left arm above the shoulder plane''.

mm k that's it then you answered the topic why let anyone have an opinion on it.

inil01_breakingintro.jpg

Edited by Mike Boatright

I can see this has been around a while and again, I read the first and last page to get the gist, and not have to wade through the whole thing. I do have one question.

If a golfer was a 2 plane swinger and wished to convert to the 1 plane swing, for whatever reason, would that require bending the lies on their irons a bit flatter?

1 minute ago, Mike Boatright said:

So this topic wanted you to repeat Jim hardys swing plane theory in a exact description and that'st it? I thought you wanted people to share their opinions on the subject right? my bad what a boring topic then I guess you answered your own question for the topic then why have responses..

''He defined the one-plane swing, IIRC, as the left arm matching the shoulder plane, and the two-plane swing as the left arm above the shoulder plane''.

mm k that's it then you answered the topic.

This is a thread about a specific Jim Hardy golf swing method. If you've got an issue with his one-plane swing, go for it. But you can't really argue what the definition of a one- or two-plane swing is since that's what the whole thread is about.

These are exaggerations I found on google, but basically the left is one-plane, the right is two-plane. As @iacas said, one-plane is when the left arm and shoulders are in-line at the top, while two-plane is when the left arm is above the shoulder plane.

One-Plane-and-Two-Plane.jpg

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

I can see this has been around a while and again, I read the first and last page to get the gist, and not have to wade through the whole thing. I do have one question.

If a golfer was a 2 plane swinger and wished to convert to the 1 plane swing, for whatever reason, would that require bending the lies on their irons a bit flatter?

The more you bend over at address the flatter your swing becomes and the taller you stand the more vertical it becomes. There are some exceptions If you stand to tall it can become like a baseball swing but generally speaking a very tall set up with the intention of making a vertical golf swing will make it very upright vs bending over more at address.

To answer the golf club question maybe so maybe not? bending over at set up will influence the lie angle and vice versa for standing taller so it's possible yes.

inil01_breakingintro.jpg

6 minutes ago, jamo said:

This is a thread about a specific Jim Hardy golf swing method. If you've got an issue with his one-plane swing, go for it. But you can't really argue what the definition of a one- or two-plane swing is since that's what the whole thread is about.

These are exaggerations I found on google, but basically the left is one-plane, the right is two-plane. As @iacas said, one-plane is when the left arm and shoulders are in-line at the top, while two-plane is when the left arm is above the shoulder plane.

One-Plane-and-Two-Plane.jpg

I know I just posted this with the same picture that about sums it up. Arguing no just my opinion on it isn't what this is about? I said in quite ''I don't think one is better than the other''

Edited by Mike Boatright

8 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I know I just posted this with the same picture that about sums it up. Arguing no just my opinion on it isn't what this is about? I said in quite ''I don't think one is better than the other''

Arguing that is fine, but you also said, "I think the golf swing always has one plane it's either just flatter or more upright," which makes no sense at all. I can look at a golf swing and draw an infinite number of planes. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 minute ago, jamo said:

Arguing that is fine, but you also said, "I think the golf swing always has one plane it's either just flatter or more upright," which makes no sense at all. I can look at a golf swing and draw an infinite number of planes. 

Well yes that's my point it isn't just 2 planes. To simplify it I think it's just flatter or more upright where ever you fall is probably more upright or flat based on your set up height and build etc..

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

Well yes that's my point it isn't just 2 planes. To simplify it I think it's just flatter or more upright where ever you fall is probably more upright or flat based on your set up height and build etc..

@Mike Boatright, FFS, pay attention: this thread is about Jim Hardy's one- and two-plane swings. It's his swing theory, his pet, his "creation," and he's defined what he means by "one-" and "two-plane" swings.

It's ignorant and ten other things to come on here and just start prattling on about "it isn't just two planes" or "I think the golf swing always has one plane". Hell, even those two sentences, typed within the same hour, conflict with each other.

This topic discusses Jim Hardy's ideas. They aren't discussing "the swing plane" in general. You don't get to come into this thread and just post your nonsense. The terms "one-plane swing" and "two-plane swing" are defined already, and they tie into a much larger theory on how to play golf by Jim Hardy. If you're not familiar with it, don't come on here and postulate about how the golf swing is simultaneously "one plane" and "not just two planes."

For those new to this site, @Mike Boatright has a history of this sort of bizarre behavior. So, if the post above seems out of line, I'd encourage you to trust that there's a long history to this.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

For those new to this site, @Mike Boatright has a history of this sort of bizarre behavior. So, if the post above seems out of line, I'd encourage you to trust that there's a long history to this.

Hey kinda harsh bro why? I think outside the box if I didn't I would answer like some people saying I prefer one plane and I like 2 plane without much thought. My official opinion on this topic is the golf swing is always on a plane sometime it's more upright and sometimes it's flatter depending on many var-abilities. I think saying from his infomercial he said your either a one planer or your not. I like his concept there's nothing wrong with it I just see so many gaps in between the 2 swings he portrays and with so many different types of golfer builds ranging from skinny and tall to medium and stocky your just going to have some range there. The reason i'm saying this is because it's an opinion on Jim Hardies 2 plane swing idea that's also called free thought and expression to a topic or idea.

3 hours ago, dchoye said:

Read Hardy's book as a beginner golfer and he has some interesting ideas. Some critiques about the book and theory is one swing plane seems easier in theory and learn however I cant my hands high enough to create a width in my swing.

The one vs two plane swing theory is too polarizing in thinking, I don't fit either. 

There is a lot of variation in the takeaway and transitions in many golfers to suggest there is not always a 2nd plane.

One plane swing seems to make sense to me.....maybe there is more than one type of single plane??

Even this guy was attempting to harness an idea saying.  One plane swing seems to make sense to me.....maybe there is more than one type of single plane??

• Administrator

Hey kinda harsh bro why? I think outside the box if I didn't I would answer like some people saying I prefer one plane and I like 2 plane without much thought.

It's not harsh. We've been dealing with your nonsense since you signed up.

At least that would make more sense. Right now, within the span of an hour, you've said that the golf swing simultaneously has one plane and at least two planes.

My official opinion on this topic is the golf swing is always on a plane sometime it's more upright and sometimes it's flatter depending on many var-abilities.

Cool. That adds nothing to the conversation. You see, what you historically fail to grasp is this: you need to have some level of education before you post. If you don't, you can still post, but you should be asking questions instead.

Heck, I do it. I get a new student, and the first thing I do is ask a lot of questions. I know a lot about the golf swing, but I have to educate myself on his background, his style, his preferences, his physical limitations, etc.

You never educate yourself, and consequently, keep coming off the way you do.

I think saying from his infomercial he said your either a one planer or your not. I like his concept there's nothing wrong with it I just see so many gaps in between the 2 swings he portrays and with so many different types of golfer builds ranging from skinny and tall to medium and stocky your just going to have some range there.

You don't seem to understand what you're saying.

He's created a binary system. In his system, you're either a one-plane swinger or a two-plane swinger, and each has its own little subset of what moves and things you can and should do. He defines the one-plane swing a certain way, so one can easily conclude that if you're not that, you're a two-plane swinger. In his system.

I'm not saying I agree that there are one-plane system "pieces" and separate or different pieces for two planes, but that's his theory, and so that's what this thread is about - the discussion of that. Not for postulating your own theories.

I'm pretty sure Jim Hardy could show you players of all body types making one- and/or two-plane swings. Peter Jacobson, I believe, went from two to one. His theory has nothing to do with body type except that extreme body types may be a bit more suitable for one or the other.

The reason i'm saying this is because it's an opinion on Jim Hardies 2 plane swing idea that's also called free thought and expression to a topic or idea.

No, sorry, you don't get to claim that you're allowed to have "free thought and expression to a topic or idea." Trolls say that kind of stuff all the time.

And we're going to take a little time out from the @Mike Boatright show.

• 6 months later...
Note: This thread is 2752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!