IGNORED

Tiger Woods---A No-Show at the 'ESPYs'

BSweet
Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was watching the ESPYs tonight and I don't know why. Tiger took home best male athlete and best performance. He didn't show up to say thank you or do a video response or leave a letter apologizing for not showing up. Instead Will Ferell accepted the award for him and pretty much mocked him.
I know Tiger has left video responses before.
So I ask...

Is the ESPY awards such a joke that Tiger doesn't have to show up. Should he have? Should he have acknowledged his awards in anyway? Do the awards mean anything?

What are your thoughts?

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

If he was healthy, he should've showed up. He wasn't, so I don't blame him.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

If he was healthy, he should've showed up. He wasn't, so I don't blame him.

Exactly. He's probably recovering right now and in a lot of pain. I don't blame him for not showing up.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

Doctors have advised Tiger not to fly. Which is why he missed the tournament he was hosting.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Yeah but he could have given a video response from home. Or apologize for not making it. He did neither.

Brandon Sweet

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

Eh, he's recovering from a pretty big surgery right now. As a fellow guy recovering from an injury, if you don't have to do something that might be a stress on your injury, then don't.

EDIT: I do acknowledge that he should have at least gotten a video response togethor, unless he was in communication with Will Ferrell asking him to do this for him to be funny, which it was.
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Yeah but he could have given a video response from home. Or apologize for not making it. He did neither.

oops missed that part. Yeah no bueno. But come on the guy is a father and a busy business man. Does alot for kids with his foundation. I'll cut him some slack for the ESPY's.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

Because he's hurt he gets a free pass on this one.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I would think that Tiger Wood's who will be the first athlete to make a billion dollars would get advise from his agent on what is the best approach for the ESPYs award and how to deal with him unable to attend because of his injury.

This is similar to Michelle Wie who should get consuling on how to deal with the media, especially when Sony and Nike are spending so much money for her image.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

• Administrator
I would think that Tiger Wood's who will be the first athlete to make a billion dollars would get advise from his agent on what is the best approach for the ESPYs award and how to deal with him unable to attend because of his injury.

He probably did. He's just now able to use crutches from what I understand, and to put the slightest amount of weight on his leg. He's pretty much been in his bed for the prior three weeks.

He did a video for the AT&T;, but that's for his charity, and that matters a helluva lot more than the stupid ESPYs.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I certainly don't blame him for not going. As others said, I'm not even sure he's able to fly yet. And I don't blame him for not making a video either. As iacas mentioned, he did a video for the AT&T; and he didn't look all that good but he sucked it up then. If I were him I wouldn't want people, cameras, whatever else around when I feel like crap. Tiger does plenty of other things to get a pass on this one. I do think the ESPYs are lame anyways. They got Justin Timberlake to host it... need I say more?

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

It's the ESPYs...honestly never was interested in it to begin with. Besides, we all want Tiger to come back healthy (I hope) and as we just witnessed with Greg Norman - Tiger's got at least 20 years left in him on tour. If he needs an extended time out, then by all means!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Can't blame him for not going. It would seem that a short video wouldn't be too much to ask. Must not have been that big of a deal to him.

tiger is not obligated to give anyone the time of day, soon he won't be giving the pga tour the time and he'll be playing more events around the world (my prognostication)

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

They got Justin Timberlake to host it... need I say more?

Yeah...they got Justin Timberlake to host a PGA TOUR Event as well...so I guess the winner of that event will have an asterisk because it was hosted by Timberlake...give me a break. Just because JT is hosting something doesn't mean the event has no meaning. In fact JT is appearing more and more in the golfing world which I think is great for the game.

However, I do think the ESPYs is a joke, but it's the ONLY sporting award show that I can think of. ESPN also does a good job kissing Tiger's ass week in and week out. The least he could've had done was a short video. Once again... bad move for Tiger, but it wont impact his image because afterall....he's Tiger Woods (the Jesus Christ of golf.)

Brandon Sweet

I don't know anything about this story, and it's clear that no one is implying that he should've shown in person, BUT do we know any certain details about whether he was asked to make a video, whether a video was attempted, etc.?

Not to make an excuse, but we don't know what could've happened behind the scenes.

Yeah...they got Justin Timberlake to host a PGA TOUR Event as well...so I guess the winner of that event will have an asterisk because it was hosted by Timberlake...give me a break

Wow. Relax. Nobody's talking about any asterisk next to a golf tournament. I just don't like the guy and no, I don't take him very seriously.

In fact JT is appearing more and more in the golfing world which I think is great for the game..)

It is?

The least he could've had done was a short video. Once again... bad move for Tiger, but it wont impact his image because afterall....he's Tiger Woods (the Jesus Christ of golf.)

Wait a second... you question Tiger Woods and praise

Justin Timberlake in the same paragragh? And we're not talking singing ability here...

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I don't care, Will Ferrel was hilarious.
In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!