IGNORED

Chipping: A common high handicapper error

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After spending the last year really working on my irons, I realized how many strokes I was losing each round from poor chipping. So I've worked hard on it recently and noticed an improvement this past weekend.

However I noticed a common fault that kept surfacing. I wasn't paying any attention to break on the green. When I hit my approach shot, I'm generally aiming for the center of the green. It appears I am carrying this mentality over to my chipping. I was just concentrating on getting the ball on the green. Well this can leave you some really long first putts.

So I'm really trying hard now to take my time and read the chip just like I do a putt.

Anyone else have this issue?

Kevin

-------
In the Bag
Driver: G15 9.0*3 & 5 Wood: BurnerHybrid: Pro Gold 20*; 23*Irons: MP-58 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52*8; 56*14Putter: Newport 2.0 33"Balls: NXT

I used to do that to some degree. Something that helped me alot was to try and actually make the shot. Try to hole it out. I was worried that I might blow by the hole when trying this, but it really just helps picture the shot you need to hit and for me at least helps me get alot closer to the hole.

My problem with chips is they come out hot because I cock my wrist to make sure I hit down on the ball. To correct, I decelerate and leave them short.

It's tough to get the speed right you need a sixth sense in your hands.

There is absolutly nothing wrong with hitting your approach to the center of the green - thats probably the safest part for you right now. And if you feel more confident you automatically will start going for pockets/areas of the greens or directly on flags.

But chipping to the middle of the green - why would you do that? When you chip you always wanna give the ball a chance to get in or at least have a safe up & down. A chip normally has one spot on the green where you have to hit your ball to reach the flag when it starts rolling - just put some mini targets on your chipping green and try chipping the ball on these spots for practice...

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50° CG12 DSG 54° & 60°

My problem with chips is they come out hot because I cock my wrist to make sure I hit down on the ball. To correct, I decelerate and leave them short.

The chipping technique normally uses passiv wrists.

There are exceptions, if you want your ball higher, but generally passiv.

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

So I'm really trying hard now to take my time and read the chip just like I do a putt.

I have been doing this for a few years and it is a great help. One thing that I have done to get closer to the hole is to play for more break than I think. If I think a putt will break about 2 feet, I will play a chip with a little more break so that when it starts to slow down it will get closer to the hole rather than further away from it. Doesn't work in every situation, but many times I will get it closer if I am not trying to make it.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I myself am not what I would consider a "great" chipper but I do ok and chips don't generally cost me strokes.

I think that is the first half of the chipping equation, one chip and one chip only. Weather it be from the fringe, the rough or even the sand, get it on because one chip and two putts is better then two or three chips and having to two putt anyways.

The second half is aim, where do you want to land the ball not where do you want the ball to end up. As important it is to get the ball on the putting surface you still want to give yourself a reasonable chance at making it and leaving yourself a decent putt. Sometimes this is not possible but generally there is a safe zone you can land it to achive both goals, get it on the green and getting it close. You are right in treating chips as putts because with putting you concentrate on the line and rarely is it right at the hole, you try and pick the line you want the ball to start on which will put the ball on the line to the hole. That should be no different when chipping. I see many people that I play with who look at hole when chipping as if they are going to fly it right to the edge of the cup, hole it on the fly or as though evey chip is dead straight. You should be concentrating on where do you want to land the ball and then let the contours of the green do the rest.

The only other thing I am going to say about chipping is that it's generally better to take a shorter back swing and accel through the ball rather then taking a big back swing and then decel.

When I first started, I just chipped that ball at the hole. I never really looked at speed or break, but the better I got the closer I payed attention to it and realized that I needed to get a feel for the shot as well as get better at chipping in the hole.

Now, I am much better than I have ever been at chipping and it has really helped keep the scores down.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

I have my PW, SW, and my 56 in my pitching/chipping arsenal. My biggest problem I had my last time out was getting the speed right. My round Friday I had the speed perfect, or at least as close to perfect as I could.

I agree in just trying to hole the shot. I do that from 100yds on in, I know that the odds are thin but it makes for closer putts.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

When I first started, I just chipped that ball at the hole. I never really looked at speed or break, but the better I got the closer I payed attention to it and realized that I needed to get a feel for the shot as well as get better at chipping in the hole.

i also used to just aim at the cup and hope it goes in. what works for me is

approach chipping like you would a putt. Get your read on the green...pick a spot, and aim to that spot. The big difference between that and putting is that you need to pick the correct club. I personally stick with my 3 wedges and vary them depending on how much roll i need. But generally, treat it like a putt and try to hole out all your chips...i feel that taking an "offensive" approach to chipping puts you in best position to make a good chip (stan utley's words more or less...not so much mine)

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

I played today and only got up and down 40% of the time just around the green.

I did try to focus on the chipping by walking pass the hole and looking for the breaks, slopes and firmness of the greens.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

When I am chipping, I reduce the size of my target. Whether it is a spot on or just off of the green, I pick a very small target area that I want the ball to first hit at. I take into account the line the ball will take on prior to designating my target area and all the factors combine to determine how hard I hit the chip. I got quite sick of burning balls all the way across the green because to into account the speed.

All in all, it is a lot like putting in the sense that nobody likes to practice it and it can definitely cost you strokes, and because you are so close to the hole and because the pros are always able to put it within 3 or 4 feet when they chip, they can be very frustrating lost strokes.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

You know whats a great chipping practice - whenever you practice pitching - dont just collect the balls after that - chip them to a target where you collect them afterwards- thats a lot of practice for your chipping just on the fly

Burner 9°
FW Burner 15°
Burner Rescue 19°
MP67 4-PW

Short game is where i save strokes. If i am pitching within 20 metres i usually get up and down. If i am not within 2/3 metres I am unhappy

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

What helps me with chipping as well as lag putting is to imagine a 2 foot bullseye around the cup. Then, I pick the appropriate line to get into that bullseye. This keeps me from over analysis and leads to a lot more tap ins than 4 footers. For me, when I have a larger margin for error, I am less tense.....and tension kills in golf.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

Here's something to try when practicing. Pick a few balls up and toss them underhand and try to get them as close as you can. Now chip your ball from the same spot, it gives you a good idea of the feel of the shot plus you can see how much trajectory will affect the amount of roll. Try throwing a few high and few low. One thing I bet you do naturally without thinking when throwing the ball is land them on the green not on the fringe.

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!