IGNORED

Legends Reno-Tahoe Open...Michelle Wie is playing!

underparnv
Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With Annika retiring and no other female golfer ready to compete with Lorena on a week in, week out basis, this is the perfect time for Wie's handlers to put her full time on the LPGA tour.

Why don't you care less? Why do you care so much?

If Wie is getting spanked then what about the 8 or 9 guys that she finishged above, or the 50 or so that she beat on the Thursday? Should they give up ever thinking of competing against a PGA field ever again?
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you care less? Why do you care so much?

No, because likely those 8 or 9 guys she beat have qualified for events through traditional means, and not been given repeated sponser exemptions after showing she should just compete in her own gender's league. IF she showed some ridiculous skill level there, and won consistently, I could see her trying it out again down the line against the men.

Annika, the best female golfer in the last ten years (IMHO), played against the men, what, once? Twice? And she won seven majors. Wie hasn't won a thing yet her entourage thinks she should be playing against men? Huh?

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

No, because likely those 8 or 9 guys she beat have qualified for events through traditional means, and not been given repeated sponser exemptions after showing she should just compete in her own gender's league. IF she showed some ridiculous skill level there, and won consistently, I could see her trying it out again down the line against the men.

What sets men and women golfers apart? The

main factor is distance. In that department Wie has something that no other female golfer has. Her driving average at the Reno this week was over 300 yards. I'm betting Annikas' driving distance is nowhere near that. Before you go off on me. I am in no way in agreeance with the Wie camp about the sensibility of playing in the PGA tour events. I firmly believe she should dominate the LPGA first. Then consider the PGA.
Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

She's incredibly talented. She can crush the ball. She just can't make a cut in a men's event. And, to be fair, she hasn't been too consistent in making cuts in women's events either.

Ask the guys in the field at Reno if they appreciate Wie's presence.

Jason Allison
---------------
In my stand bag (which I carry on my OWN back):

10.5* Burner driver Burner 15* 3 wood Burner Rescue 19* Hybrid FP II irons, 4 thru GW No. 588 56* Sand and 60* Lob wedges White Hot XG Tour Rossie Putter NXT Tour ballsOnPar GPS deviceAnd ALL my shafts are stiff.

She's incredibly talented. She can crush the ball. She just can't make a cut in a men's event. And, to be fair, she hasn't been too consistent in making cuts in women's events either.

I could

n't care less what those guys think. Its not their decision who plays and who doesn't. That responsability falls to the sponsors, who have the right to give out exemptions to whomever they please. The top 70 (approx) players on tour weren't even there this week (Bridgestone), so there is 70 spots clear and Wie takes only 1 of them. If they are complaining about her being there, then they need to man up. There are sponsor exemptions at every tournament (nearly), its just a fact. As for Wies consistency, last year was a freak year, a blip in the redar, due to injury. Before the injury, she was pretty consistent. Something like three top 5's in majors.
Whats in the bag:

Yes, she won a second rate am event 5 years ago, and has won absolutely nothing since.

Second rate?!? How do you figure that one? Is it second rate because you've won it? Or you even tried to qualify for it?

When something is put on by the USGA, I seriously doubt you can count that as "second rate." A tournament held by just your home course...yeah, probably second rate.
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

Second rate?!? How do you figure that one? Is it second rate because you've won it? Or you even tried to qualify for it?

The USGA puts on a number of championships. The toughest are the Opens which are exactly that: open to all comers, pro or amateur. The national amateur championships are restricted only to amateurs, making them easier to win. Finally, the Publinx are even more restricted: only those w/o a club membership are allowed to enter. More restricted = weaker field, which is another way of saying second rate.

The USGA puts on a number of championships. The toughest are the Opens which are exactly that: open to all comers, pro or amateur. The national amateur championships are restricted only to amateurs, making them easier to win. Finally, the Publinx are even more restricted: only those w/o a club membership are allowed to enter. More restricted = weaker field, which is another way of saying second rate.

Please oh please say you've won this "second rate" championship...

Is the Mid-Amateur second rate too since it's limited to only players older than 25?? Give me a break...
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

...In that department Wie has something that no other female golfer has. Her driving average at the Reno this week was over 300 yards. I'm betting Annikas' driving distance is nowhere near that...

At "Reno-Tahoe" Michelle's driving distance was 301.3 and the "Field Avg." was 311.9.

Unless Annika, or any other woman golfer, is playing in the same event under the same conditions as Wie it's impossible to compare their driving performance with Michelle's. It would be interesting to find LPGA driving distance statistics (I wasn't successful) broken down for each LPGA event in which Wie played to find out how long she really is against the other women, but I sure don't where to find that info.

Please oh please say you've won this "second rate" championship...

"Second rate" refers to the use of the Women's Publinx on a resume for a supposed top talent professional golfer. For the reasons stated in my previous post, the restricted field means it is less difficult to win than the Women's Amateur or Women's Open. Just as the Mid-Am is a restricted field, with the same liability when compared with the US Open or Men's Amateur. Just for your edification, the "second rate" description has nothing to do with how the event is run.

• Administrator
"Second rate" refers to the use of the Women's Publinx on a resume for a supposed top talent professional golfer. For the reasons stated in my previous post, the restricted field means it is less difficult to win than the Women's Amateur or Women's Open.

Wow, you're really reaching to find ways to discredit someone. Jeez. Winning a USGA event is now a "second-rate" win?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've tracked MeWe's driving in the LPGA events. She is probably in the top 10% in terms of distance - but she is not the longest for certain. Two years ago, when she played Brittney Lincicome (sp) in match play, BP was FLYING it past MeWe....on the way to kicking her tail big time.

Face it guys, she is no longer the (a) youngest, (b) longest, or (c) most talented femail player out there. She is more akin to the bearded lady or the sword swallower that a professioinal golfer. She will NEVER win !

Titleist Hybrid Stand Bag White & Lime Green
- TM Tour Burner 9.5 Degree, Aldila Proto by You
- TM R5 Ti 3 Wood
- TM Burner Hybrid #3,#4,#5
- Titleist AP2 6-PW, Project X 5.5 Shafts- Titleist Vokey 50 degree Black Nickel- Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Satin 54 and 58 Degree- Titleist Scotty...

• Administrator
She will NEVER win !

And just how much are you willing to bet that this "femail" will never win? At what odds?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

She is more akin to the bearded lady or the sword swallower that a professioinal golfer.

I agree with the circus sideshow analogy and wish she'd focus on the LPGA - she could do very well, although her contemporaries (Linsicombe, Pressell, Creamer, and now Shin) are getting used to the competition and winning.

She will NEVER win !

As for that - crystal balls I'm fresh out of. Could you spare a good one for this week's Lottery?

Note: This thread is 5756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!