IGNORED

Padraig's Example of Graciousness

shortgame85
Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Often times it is easy to become self satisfied. As golfers, we pride ourselves on playing a sport that, played correctly and by the rules, requires no small measure of discipline, character and integrity. We often hear that golf is a gentleman's sport. We are proud, regardless of our handicaps, to be included in the cadre known as golfers.

And then we see truly obnoxious examples of behavior and wonder if the world really is coming to an end.

Padraig Harrington's acceptance speech last Sunday at the Open Championship was artful, very old fashioned in its graciousness and a reminder to all of how a geniunely fine golfer should behave. He acknowledged his competitors, congratulating runnerup Ian Poulter. He insisted the crowd show its appreciation, once again, to Greg Norman. He congratulted the young, low amateur. He acknowledged the R & A for its efforts in conducting the Open. He was thoughtful, considerate, modest and a fine example of a true champion.

I wonder if people were struck by the stark contrast of his words and demeanor to those uttered by those in other sports? With the exception of the Mannings of football fame, there are few public figures, of any kind, who exhibit at the critical moments the grace shown by Mr. Harrington.

I wonder if anyone else thought it was as fine as I did?

I realize ABC cut away from it at the end of its broadcast. Nonetheless, I think that, while Padraig did himself proud by winning the Open, he did the golfing world proud by the manner in which he accepted his deserved and great victory.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Agree 100%. This was the classiest display I have ever seen from a champion and being from Boston, I've seen more than a few over the past few years.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• Administrator

Padraig's speech was good, but the Mannings? Peyton's thrown his offensive line under the bus in the past and done all manner of other asinine things.

Don't demean Padraig by comparing him to Peyton Manning.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the exception of the Mannings of football fame, there are few public figures, of any kind, who exhibit at the critical moments the grace shown by Mr. Harrington.

Yeah, I caught that too. Ruined an otherwise great post.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Padraig's speech was good, but the Mannings? Peyton's thrown his offensive line under the bus in the past and done all manner of other asinine things.

Now pardner, you must realize that any sane discussion of the Mannings by a Mississipian is impossible; equally, any pejorative statement made about the Mannings to a Mississippian, especially one whose father was born in the same dusty town of Drew as was Archie, and to one who chaired the Archie Manning Golf Tournament on behalf of the Delta Area Council Boy Scout program, can only be taken as fightin' words!

Meet me at dawn, sir, near the large oak at Tunica National Golf course, and have your putter drawn and ready! Of course, you may save yourself by doing sufficient pennance: something on the order of watching tapes of the Saints' magnificent talent in losing games during the 70s should suffice. Please let me know when you've completed this task and I'll consider forgiving you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Yeah, I caught that too. Ruined an otherwise great post.

GEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ! You

guys !

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Often times it is easy to become self satisfied. As golfers, we pride ourselves on playing a sport that, played correctly and by the rules, requires no small measure of discipline, character and integrity. We often hear that golf is a gentleman's sport. We are proud, regardless of our handicaps, to be included in the cadre known as golfers.

I don't know about the Manning thing but I agree 100%, fine post. IMHO, Nicklaus, Player, and Palmer all excelled at focusing credit on others instead of taking the majority of the limelight. Personally, I believe Tiger could learn a lot from Padraig in this regard.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I was actually listening to the entire round on the radio on a drive back from Virginia so I got to hear it. It was like he had a list of people that he just had to thank, very gracious of him to do that.
In the Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-5
3 Wood: Ping G10
Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP(3)
Irons: Mizuno MX25(3-PW)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled 54 and 60Putter: Odyssey Black Series #1

Yes I though he was first class so much so he even praised the marshals. I was impressed to no end and I would hope that all sports took a short lesson from his terrific attitude. Not only other sports can learn from this but all people including golfers throughout the world.

I don't know about the Manning thing but I agree 100%, fine post. IMHO, Nicklaus, Player, and Palmer all excelled at focusing credit on others instead of taking the majority of the limelight. Personally, I believe Tiger could learn a lot from Padraig in this regard.

I certainly agree with your comment about Nicklaus, Player and Palmer. I don't think of Tiger as ungracious; rather,I think of his style as more modern and egocentric. Personally, I prefer the former rather than the latter. However, I think you are spot on that many public figures can take a lesson from Padraig.

Yes I though he was first class so much so he even praised the marshals. I was impressed to no end and I would hope that all sports took a short lesson from his terrific attitude. Not only other sports can learn from this but all people including golfers throughout the world.

Well said. I had forgot about his acknowledgment of the marshals.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I don't think of Tiger as ungracious; rather,I think of his style as more modern and egocentric.

Notice I stayed away from saying he was completely on the opposite side of the fence from Padraig; just that IMHO he could stand on higher ground.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I remember when Peyton made those comments. The most memorable was the reference to the "idiot kicker." I still think the Mannings are great guys though. They both received so much criticizm from the media and they handled it like everyone else should. They kept their mouths shut and let their jewelry do the talking.

As for Padraig, he is a great guy. He kind of reminds me of Phil Mickelson. He played in the Travelers last year and Hartford and he wasn't playing well, but he managed to keep a smile and acknowledge the galleries. I hope he wins more majors. This major doesn't need an asterisk because he proved last year he can win it WITH Tiger in the field. Gatorade Padraig is on the rise!

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

Notice I stayed away from saying he was completely on the opposite side of the fence from Padraig; just that IMHO he could stand on higher ground.

I wouldn't disagree with you, my man.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

I was amazed by his speech. When most people try to say things like that...you can tell that they feel obligated, and it comes across as halfhearted.

I was watching, mesmerized by this awesome speech, and nearly threw something at my TV when they ended the broadcast mid-sentence. I was wondering if anybody else was surprised by it. Glad to see this thread to know I was not alone.

Eloquently said! Paddy is a class act.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I was amazed by his speech. When most people try to say things like that...you can tell that they feel obligated, and it comes across as halfhearted.

I almost threw something at the TV, too, but I really wanted to strangle the twits at ABC who cut away from the speech.

I, too, am glad to know others appreciate Harrington's manners.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Eloquently said! .

Thank you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Thank you.

You must write for a living?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!